Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

Thanks for the input. Sounds like the 18s would be the ideal choice. I think we are still between going with those versus the studded 20s. Our dealer is nervous about putting 18s on as to whether they will clear the brakes and says if they don't work for some reason we are going to be stuck with them. Sounds like they should be fine though. Thanks again!

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the input. Sounds like the 18s would be the ideal choice. I think we are still between going with those versus the studded 20s. Our dealer is nervous about putting 18s on as to whether they will clear the brakes and says if they don't work for some reason we are going to be stuck with them. Sounds like they should be fine though. Thanks again!

Matt
Welcome to the Forum snmhanson.:wavey:
As I indicated in my PM, I have moved your post to this existing thread on Winter Tires. You should be able to find some of the info here and I'm sure that members will also assist in your concerns.
Happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Winter tires installed just in time for bad weather and then came the salt...
1457594_10202478067862535_1426136192_n.jpg

Matt

Get your dealer to try one of the the wheels on first before mounting a tire on it. Do it on the front as the front has the bigger brakes. I'm running 18's on mine with no issues however, wheels do vary from manufacturer/design etc so I'd say try them on first. I'm not sure why the Dealer would make you be "Stuck with them" if they can simply just try one on to make sure it fits before they start mounting tires and balancing them.

Thanks again for all of the input. I think I am going to go with the XLT 18" rims but am awaiting a call back from the dealer with the final price. I've got my eye on the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 studded tire if it's available from the dealer. Otherwise I will go with whatever they recommend.

If things end up not working out with the dealership I also have a backup plan to just go to the local tire dealer and find an aftermarket set of 18" rims. If I end up going that route is it safe to assume that since the XLT 18" rims will fit the Sport, that most other 18" rims will fit on the Sport as well? I know the only way to be sure is to try it, but can I look at 18" rims and generally plan on them fitting?

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks again for all of the input. I think I am going to go with the XLT 18" rims but am awaiting a call back from the dealer with the final price. I've got my eye on the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 studded tire if it's available from the dealer. Otherwise I will go with whatever they recommend.

If things end up not working out with the dealership I also have a backup plan to just go to the local tire dealer and find an aftermarket set of 18" rims. If I end up going that route is it safe to assume that since the XLT 18" rims will fit the Sport, that most other 18" rims will fit on the Sport as well? I know the only way to be sure is to try it, but can I look at 18" rims and generally plan on them fitting?

Thanks,

Matt
You have a few things to consider Matt if going with other 18" wheels. Some of them are, bolt pattern, center bore, offset. hub centric rings if the wheel is not hub centric (made to precisely fit the vehicle's hub).

http://1010tires.com/About/Glossary

Peter

I ordered 4 x DG1Z 1015 A rims from my Ford dealer today $84.95 each + 13% HST.
I have also ordered 4 x TPMS valves from Ebay around $90.00 shipped and
4 x Blizzak DM-V1 235x65-18 from Costco for $1042.67 taxes in.

When the tires come in at Costco, they will mount the tires on the rims and mount on the vehicle. Total cost around $1520.00 cnd taxes in.

Brian

I ordered 4 x DG1Z 1015 A rims from my Ford dealer today $84.95 each + 13% HST.
I have also ordered 4 x TPMS valves from Ebay around $90.00 shipped and
4 x Blizzak DM-V1 235x65-18 from Costco for $1042.67 taxes in.

When the tires come in at Costco, they will mount the tires on the rims and mount on the vehicle. Total cost around $1520.00 cnd taxes in.

Brian

Thats a good deal here in Canada

OK I stand corrected, Got pricing today for the Interceptor Steel wheel
$99 retail
$84 trade

I owe somebody a Grande Eggnog Latte now!

Also when your ordering TPMS there are two different frequency's between models and years, must identify by VIN.

TPMS kits - quantity of 4.

BB5Z-1A189-A – 315 MHZ retail 61.73….trade 52.47
9L3Z-1A189-A – 433 MHZ retail 79.05….trade 67.19

For the 2014 SPORT Part number is 9L3Z-1A189-A or TPMS 12 (qty 4)

$99 retail
$84 trade

Also when your ordering TPMS there are two different frequency's between models and years, must identify by VIN.

That would be ME!
(IF I actually drank that type of coffee...)

What tires did you order?

That would be ME!
(IF I actually drank that type of coffee...)

What tires did you order?

Looking at the Blizzaks DM-V1 18"

Edge alloy's don't work on 2013 LTD

Dealer tried the 17" 2007-2012 Edge alloy wheel (3672 BT4z1007A) with 40mm offset on my 2013 limited and it didn't clear the front calipers. Looks like I'll go to steel wheels for winter.

Dealer tried the 17" 2007-2012 Edge alloy wheel (3672 BT4z1007A) with 40mm offset on my 2013 limited and it didn't clear the front calipers. Looks like I'll go to steel wheels for winter.
Welcome to the Forum garyhx.:wavey:
As I mentioned before, I have the Base model 17" steelies on my Limited for Winter. Perhaps the 18" ones might better since they will fit the Sport with the larger brakes should you ever decide on one of those. Of course by then they will likely have made more changes so we may have to start all over again. :)
Good luck.

Peter

Does anybody know the part # of the cheap centre hub caps for the 18" steel wheel

Thanks Brian

Does anybody know the part # of the chap centre hub caps for the 18" steel wheel

Thanks Brian
Brian, I guessing you meant to say 'cheap' centre hub caps. The ford parts website shows 1130C for the part I think you are referring to.
Check out www.fordparts.com
Just select Model and the Year/Make/Model and look under Tire and Wheel.
I think that one is the part I was quoted $90 each on by my dealer.
The full cover I believe was $126.
As far as the cheaper ones that someone bought on the Internet I don't have that info. Sorry.

Peter

$99 retail
$84 trade

Thought the SPORT ran the 315 MHZ??

Also looks like the Alloy 18" wheel off the LIMITED will clear the SPORTS front brakes.

Edit:

Nope, you're right, they are 433s, just checked mine.

file_zpsecf2abd9.jpg

Ya when I asked about the TPMS sensors for 2014 they asked for a VIN to confirm which one. So Im guessing a vendor/supplier change mid year.

Ended up ordering these rims for our Sport with these tires. Never heard of the tires before but the dealer said they were pretty good for the price. All-in it came out to just under $1400 which was about the same as our quote for just the 20" Blizzak LM60s. I am assuming the rims in 18" are going to fit the Sport since the 18" XLT rims fit, but we'll find out for sure in about a week. I'll post pics once they are installed. Hope it looks good...

Ended up ordering these rims for our Sport with these tires. Never heard of the tires before but the dealer said they were pretty good for the price. All-in it came out to just under $1400 which was about the same as our quote for just the 20" Blizzak LM60s. I am assuming the rims in 18" are going to fit the Sport since the 18" XLT rims fit, but we'll find out for sure in about a week. I'll post pics once they are installed. Hope it looks good...
Wonder why the wheels shows Offset: FWD ? Are they hub centric or are you going to need hub centric rings?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there a center cap available for the 17" steelies. I dont like the axel ends being exposed. Might just measure and try to find universal cheap ones.

Back