Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

Is there a center cap available for the 17" steelies. I dont like the axel ends being exposed. Might just measure and try to find universal cheap ones.
I bought the full wheel cover for the 17" ones I have. They were $41.07 each at the time. See and read post #5 in this thread. I don't believe there is anything other than that according to the fordparts website.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im to cheap right now to spend that. I gave the axel ends a good coat if grease for protection.

Im to cheap right now to spend that. I gave the axel ends a good coat if grease for protection.
I don't think you are the only one that will have them "as they are". In fact, I think the majority of people that install Winter wheels do not have any kind of cover over the axle ends. I do find it sort of strange that my full 17" wheel cover was $41 while the smaller center cover for the 18" is $90 (dealer prices).

Peter

Wonder why the wheels shows Offset: FWD ? Are they hub centric or are you going to need hub centric rings?

Peter

I can't answer any of your questions. I'm a total amateur when it comes to wheels and tires - and cars in general for that matter. The dealer just gave us a handful of wheels to choose from and we decided on these. I know he talked with the his distributor as well, so I am assuming he is on top of any fitment issues. Hopefully it all goes together well...

Just put my winter tires back on the Explorer after the summer without them.

I have 17" Blizzak DM-V1's...by far the best winter tire I have ever used. Bought them in 2012 from Costco for 901.xx taxes in and mounted (already had the rims).

My other vehicle (2007 Civic) has X-Ice3's and I find they aren't as good as the Blizzak's.

I bought the full wheel cover for the 17" ones I have. They were $41.07 each at the time.

Wow. They are now $106 a piece according to my dealer. For a set of 17" base rims and 4 TPMS sensors I paid $694. I skipped the wheel covers.

Wow. They are now $106 a piece according to my dealer. For a set of 17" base rims and 4 TPMS sensors I paid $694. I skipped the wheel covers.

Part pricing can vary greatly by dealer. Shop around if you can or get the part# and try online.

My Ford dealer here in Ottawa phoned me today. He found the Ford part # for the cheap centre cap for the 18" wheels

Ford part # F87Z 1130GB list $23.54 cnd dealer $20.01 cnd I have ordered 4
He tells me that there is a small problem with the centre caps, and that is that you cannot use the wheel lugs from the Alloy wheels, you have to replace them with standard lug nuts.
Will order the lugs from Ebay, will be a lot cheaper than Ford want. The other centre cap Ford sell is around $104.00 list.

Brian

Why are you guys with AWD vehicles replacing your stock tires?

I have a 2013 sport and hope the all season 20s are fine with awd in snow and ice.

I have a 2013 sport and hope the all season 20s are fine with awd in snow and ice.
Biggest reason is safety. All seasons are really good for only three.
Rubber on an all season starts to harden and lose traction at 43 F. Winter tires are made of a different compound that stays more pliable as the temperature drops and therefore affords more traction on bare cold roads. Check out the Internet. While you may well get by with your OEM tires they won't match the performance or safety of a dedicated Winter tire. Tests have shown that a Winter tire can reduce stopping distances by up to 30%. Many insurance companies will now give you a discount for running 4 Winter tires. Mine gives 5% off the yearly premium. In the province of Quebec, Winter tires are mandatory. An added benefit is that they will also lengthen the life of the stock tire since it isn't used year round.

Peter

Because AWD does absolutely nothing in helping you stop...only helping you get going forward. Snow tires help you stop and provide better handling in cold, snow, icy conditions.

PS snow tires are also absolutely FREE...yes, FREE...because how many ever miles/Km you put on your winter rubber is pretty well how much longer your all-seasons will last.
The only real out of pocket expense for a winter tire set is the steel wheel, the initial install and balance and the cost to switch them out every late fall and early spring.
4 steel wheels - $80x4= $320
Install & balance - $20x4 = $80
Change over each season - on $30, off $30 = 60/Year. some do this themselves in their driveway.

Now let's assume most people own their cars on average for 5 years....then the above total cost = 60x5 + 80 + 320 = $700 = $140/year.
Now, if you own your vehicle longer or switch out the wheels yourself that cost/yr comes down a great deal more. Remember the rubber is essentially no additional cost because your all-seasons will last that much longer.

In conclusion. $140/year for a dedicated winter tire set is in my opinion very, very, very cheap insurance for the safety of me and my family and even the head-aches from a simple fender bender causing you the run-around getting the car fixed, fighting the insurance company, risking insurance rates going up ect..ect...Also, less likely some aggressive D-bag driver without winter tires is going to loose control and slide into you too!

I live in Ontario Canada, in Quebec Canada winter tires is "mandatory" and law!
Can't wait until it's made mandatory in Ontario and hopefully the rest of Canada.

Cheap insurance!
Just my 2cents and know some won't agree with it, but really..think about it.

Wonder why the wheels shows Offset: FWD ? Are they hub centric or are you going to need hub centric rings?

Peter

Hub centric means nothing outside of the factory. The only reason OEM's use hub centric wheels is because all the lug nuts are tightened at the same time and not in a typical star pattern that a person would. Hub centric only centers the wheel to allow this and make sure there's no vibration.

Hub centric means nothing outside of the factory. The only reason OEM's use hub centric wheels is because all the lug nuts are tightened at the same time and not in a typical star pattern that a person would. Hub centric only centers the wheel to allow this and make sure there's no vibration.
Yes, I'm aware of that, I was just asking snmhanson if he knew which type he was getting. When I watched the tech fasten the lug nuts on my Winter wheels, which are hub centric, he still used the start type fastening as I always have as well. I don't recall ever seeing anyone doing it differently. Even the Owner's Guide says to use the 'star' type tightening.

Peter

Yes, I'm aware of that, I was just asking snmhanson if he knew which type he was getting. When I watched the tech fasten the lug nuts on my Winter wheels, which are hub centric, he still used the start type fastening as I always have as well. I don't recall ever seeing anyone doing it differently. Even the Owner's Guide says to use the 'star' type tightening.

Peter

What I am saying is the factory uses a tool to tighten all 5 at once, hence the need to have the wheel centered on the hub. When you do one at a time you have to use a star pattern to make sure the wheel stays centered. In that instance hub centric doesn't matter.

Picked up my centre caps from the dealer today p/n F87A-1A096-GB they are made of metal not plastic, a great deal for $20.00 ea
Now if I can have some luck in finding the lug nut needed for a good price. its made by Dorman 611-199 The best price I have found in Canada so far is
$4.95 ea and I need 20
If i lived in the USA it would be no problem to get them, as there are tons of them on Ebay for $25.00 with free shipping, what kills me is the shipping and duty charges to Canada. I will keep looking.

Brian

Picked up my centre caps from the dealer today p/n F87A-1A096-GB they are made of metal not plastic, a great deal for $20.00 ea
Now if I can have some luck in finding the lug nut needed for a good price. its made by Dorman 611-199 The best price I have found in Canada so far is
$4.95 ea and I need 20
If i lived in the USA it would be no problem to get them, as there are tons of them on Ebay for $25.00 with free shipping, what kills me is the shipping and duty charges to Canada. I will keep looking.

Brian
Checked the Dorman site for 2013 Ford Explorer wheel nut and the 611-199 is shown for Ford 2011 - 98. When you specify 2013 it comes back as "not a fit". I'm guessing that is because they probably haven't updated their site. I believe the 2013 Sport uses the same wheel nuts as the 2011 Explorer.
$4.95 each is still a lot less than the discounted price of $12.57 each for the ones I bought to hold the covers on the 17" wheels.

Peter

$4.95 ea and I need 20

Brian

I bought from this listing and I'm happy with them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Police...Parts_Accessories&hash=item415c6035fb&vxp=mtr

....I'm replacing mine as I never run all-season tires as they really do not perform in any season. The $90 All-Season Hankook hockey pucks that Ford chose to install on one of the Fastest SUVs on the market are a joke. They are hard as rocks and will offer little performance in a storm. Ford installed them due to cost and probably fuel economy, not performance.

I sold my Hankooks a few days after I brought the truck home and replaced with high performance summers. Then the truck performed like it should.

If you live wear it snows with any significant accumulation or frequency, snows are a necessity IMO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Sport with the OEM 18" XLT wheels.
Michelin Latitude X-Ice. 255/65/18.
I went with the 255/65 because it close in size to the 20" OEM and resulted in a 3% over increase in circumference. The next closest size down giving a 1.7% circumference increase was a 245/65 but I didn't want the tire to be narrower reducing the handling.
For Michelin the 18" tires were about $70ea less expensive than if I had went with 20's plus 20" dealer wheels, or other wheels would have been more expensive as well.
The 18's give a much softer ride being a taller tire.
Michelin Latitudes have a slightly reduced rating on snow compared to others but the rating excels on ice, fuel economy and quietness of ride.
I've always used the X-ice on all mine and my wifes vehicles and they've been great.

IMG_1409_zps1500460a.jpg

IMG_1411_zps11f18e5c.jpg

IMG_1412_zps9d15636e.jpg

Back