Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found a set of OEM rims, complete with TPMS, and 7,000km all-seasons off an new Edge (so equivalent to the new painted aluminum 18s that come with the 2016 and 2017 Base model Explorer) listed on Kijiji in Banff:
Unfortunately I found these AFTER I ordered rims and TPMS separately out of the US. Could have saved myself a few hundred (and then saved even more by selling the tires after Costco mounted my new Blizzaks).

How long you been waiting? I'm on 5 weeks now waiting for a limited with tan leather
I've been waiting 24 hours now. . . I just placed inked the deal Sunday, so the order only went in Monday morning. Ordered a new Platinum in Blue Jeans Metallic with the Medium Soft Ceramic interior, with 2nd-row buckets c/w centre console. So long as I get it before the end of December I'll be happy. I still have my 2014 Escape Titanium in the meantime, since the dealer is letting me keep my trade until the new Explorer arrives.

As far as I know, if you are looking at new rims, it will be hard to beat the 18" Police Interceptor wheels from the dealer. Paid $88 each for mine a couple years ago. See post 486.
Forget about 17" wheels. They won't fit.

Peter

As far as I know, if you are looking at new rims, it will be hard to beat the 18" Police Interceptor wheels from the dealer. Paid $88 each for mine a couple years ago. See post 486.
Forget about 17" wheels. They won't fit.

Peter
Went with 18s not 17s. Had 17s on my Escape for winter, 19s for summer, but trading that in for the new Explorer. And since the winters will be on 4.5 - 5 months a year up here, I prefer the look of OEM wheels over the steelies.

Went with 18s not 17s. Had 17s on my Escape for winter, 19s for summer, but trading that in for the new Explorer. And since the winters will be on 4.5 - 5 months a year up here, I prefer the look of OEM wheels over the steelies.
Sorry, my reply was for Jack Mount. For some reason the "Quote": didn't show.

Quick question for those of you that have changed your tires out. My stock tires finally need replaced, but I want to go a big more aggressive. I have the 245x70x18s and am looking at the BF Goodrich A/T 255/70/18. Anyone do something comparable and run into any problems? I was looking to buy through Costco, but when I talked to them on the phone, they informed me that the BF tires are "quite a bit bigger" than stock, so they want me to drop by and check the measurements first.

Quick question for those of you that have changed your tires out. My stock tires finally need replaced, but I want to go a big more aggressive. I have the 245x70x18s and am looking at the BF Goodrich A/T 255/70/18. Anyone do something comparable and run into any problems? I was looking to buy through Costco, but when I talked to them on the phone, they informed me that the BF tires are "quite a bit bigger" than stock, so they want me to drop by and check the measurements first.
I wasn't aware that OEM tires came in a '70'. Since you haven't added the trim of your Explorer to your profile I don't know for sure which you have. I'm guessing perhaps the XLT which came with 245/60R18. If that is indeed what you have then going with your proposed size is definitely not recommended. The generally accepted maximum diameter variance is 3%. If you do indeed have the 60 and not the 70 right now the variance is more than double the maximum at 8.4%. If somehow you do have the 245/70R18 size than you are good to go with a difference of 1.7%.
Please add the trim to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

I wasn't aware that OEM tires came in a '70'. Since you haven't added the trim of your Explorer to your profile I don't know for sure which you have. I'm guessing perhaps the XLT which came with 245/60R18. If that is indeed what you have then going with your proposed size is definitely not recommended. The generally accepted maximum diameter variance is 3%. If you do indeed have the 60 and not the 70 right now the variance is more than double the maximum at 8.4%. If somehow you do have the 245/70R18 size than you are good to go with a difference of 1.7%.
Please add the trim to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter
You are quite correct, Peter, and thanks for pointing that out! I do have the 245/60/18 (too many #s running through my head while typing!). After a lengthy discussion with the guys at Costco yesterday, I settled on the 255/55/18 BF Goodrich KO2's to replace the factory tires. I always had great performance with these on my F150 in the past, so I'm hoping for the same on the Explorer (unfortunately the KO2s aren't available in a 245/60/18). But I'm also wondering if my thinking is too 'old-school' - I've always driven full-size trucks in the past, this is my first go-round with an SUV. I want the Ex to look more tough and aggressive without taking away from the handling - I don't care for the way the factory tires handle on snow or wet roads. Other suggestions for tire and/or tire size?

Purchased 18" Toyo G5 winter tires on steel rims a couple of seasons ago for our 2011 Explorer, now we have a 2017, and was wondering if anyone knows if the steel rims will still fit, and if you can reuse the tire sensors?

Purchased 18" Toyo G5 winter tires on steel rims a couple of seasons ago for our 2011 Explorer, now we have a 2017, and was wondering if anyone knows if the steel rims will still fit, and if you can reuse the tire sensors?
Were they Ford steel rims? Just curious. If they fit the 2011 then they should be god for the 2017 along with the sensors since the frequency is the same. I don't know however, how long the batteries in the TPMS units are good for.

Peter

Were they Ford steel rims? Just curious. If they fit the 2011 then they should be god for the 2017 along with the sensors since the frequency is the same. I don't know however, how long the batteries in the TPMS units are good for.

Peter
I am not sure if they were actual Ford rims, but I did buy from a Ford dealership. I think, however, the dealership uses a local tire supplier, so who knows for sure. Anyway, all I was told was the 2011 sensors were different and wouldn't be recognized by the 2017 computer. I'd rather not have to pay $350 for new sensors if I don't have to.

I am not sure if they were actual Ford rims, but I did buy from a Ford dealership. I think, however, the dealership uses a local tire supplier, so who knows for sure. Anyway, all I was told was the 2011 sensors were different and wouldn't be recognized by the 2017 computer. I'd rather not have to pay $350 for new sensors if I don't have to.
I looked up the part on AutoNation Ford and it shows as being 9L3Z-1A189-A and BB5Z-1A189-A. I believe the latter is the updated part number. It is listed at $42.49. I originally got the part number by looking up the 2011 Explorer and then looked for the 2017. The site doesn't list that years yet for the Ex so I pulled up the Escape and it had the identical number. It also listed the Explorer as a vehicle for this TPMS. Looking at different sites it shows different years so that's not helpful. I suggest calling the dealer's parts department and asking for the part number. I wouldn't be surprised it is the same. If not, try searching it on the site below or other sites.

Peter

I looked up the part on AutoNation Ford and it shows as being 9L3Z-1A189-A and BB5Z-1A189-A. I believe the latter is the updated part number. It is listed at $42.49. I originally got the part number by looking up the 2011 Explorer and then looked for the 2017. The site doesn't list that years yet for the Ex so I pulled up the Escape and it had the identical number. It also listed the Explorer as a vehicle for this TPMS. Looking at different sites it shows different years so that's not helpful. I suggest calling the dealer's parts department and asking for the part number. I wouldn't be surprised it is the same. If not, try searching it on the site below or other sites.

Peter
Well, it looks like I am on the hook for new sensors. Apparently, despite similar parts numbers, they're different. The 2011 sensor is referenced as TPMS 12 whereas the 2017 is referenced as TPMS 35 or 36. Probably has to do with, among others, the fact that the 2017 sensors report a pressure for each individual tire, whereas the 2011 did not.

Well, it looks like I am on the hook for new sensors. Apparently, despite similar parts numbers, they're different. The 2011 sensor is referenced as TPMS 12 whereas the 2017 is referenced as TPMS 35 or 36. Probably has to do with, among others, the fact that the 2017 sensors report a pressure for each individual tire, whereas the 2011 did not.
Hadn't thought of that.

Picking up my new 17 Sport on Saturday and getting my winter shoes sorted. Can get a 235/60/18 Nokian Hakka R2 SUV. Anyone see any issue with that width? They are sold out of the 245/60/18.

Picking up my new 17 Sport on Saturday and getting my winter shoes sorted. Can get a 235/60/18 Nokian Hakka R2 SUV. Anyone see any issue with that width? They are sold out of the 245/60/18.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The generally accepted maximum diameter variance is 3%. With the size you mentioned you will marginally exceed it (-3.1%).
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-50r20-235-60r18
A 235/65R18 would be perfect if they have that size.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-50r20-235-65r18

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The generally accepted maximum diameter variance is 3%. With the size you mentioned you will marginally exceed it (-3.1%).
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-50r20-235-60r18
A 235/65R18 would be perfect if they have that size.
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-50r20-235-65r18

Peter
Thanks Peter, the confusion is the Explorer manual calls out 245/60/18 as the winter tire size, not being available the skinnier tire shouldn't be an issue to my knowledge, however hight would be an issue. Just want to confirm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peter, the confusion is the Explorer manual calls out 245/60/18 as the winter tire size, not being available the skinnier tire shouldn't be an issue to my knowledge, however hight would be an issue. Just want to confirm.
A narrower tire is actually better in snow.

Back