Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

i finally got my winter wheels and tire package in today, so I'm actually driving the Explorer now.

Went with 255/60R18 Nokian Nordman SUV studded winters on 18x8.5 alloy wheels with TPMS sensors.
they are extremely quiet and seem to grip extremely well, everything I've read about Nokian's had me expecting good performance but I'm impressed to date.

IMG_0411_zps3svfcief.jpg

IMG_0412_zpsjkdembcw.jpg

IMG_0413_zps1yhx2d9z.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking good. It has been a while since anyone here mentioned buying studded tires.:) Just curious if you considered a 235/65R18. A narrower tire is usually preferred for Winter driving, particularly for snow.

Peter

Looking good. It has been a while since anyone here mentioned buying studded tires.:) Just curious if you considered a 235/65R18. A narrower tire is usually preferred for Winter driving, particularly for snow.

Peter

I wasn't willing to give up too much of the dry handling performance for the little difference in snow performance, plus IMO 255's on a vehicle this heavy isn't overly wide anyways. Lots of X5s, Q7's, RR's and such running around on 275+ wide winter setups with acceptable performance. That's why I bought Nokian tires, for their better performance.

I wasn't willing to give up too much of the dry handling performance for the little difference in snow performance, plus IMO 255's on a vehicle this heavy isn't overly wide anyways. Lots of X5s, Q7's, RR's and such running around on 275+ wide winter setups with acceptable performance. That's why I bought Nokian tires, for their better performance.

Ya I have to agree, running the winter package of Police 18" steel wheels with the narrower Blizzaks sure degrades handling when running on dry pavement. Even inflated to 40PSI to stiffen up the sidewalls.

Ya I have to agree, running the winter package of Police 18" steel wheels with the narrower Blizzaks sure degrades handling when running on dry pavement. Even inflated to 40PSI to stiffen up the sidewalls.
I'm running the 18" wheels with 235/60R18 Blizzaks and can't say i've noticed any handling differences on dry pavement with either the previous MKT I had or the current Explorer.

Peter

I'm running the 18" wheels with 235/60R18 Blizzaks and can't say i've noticed any handling differences on dry pavement with either the previous MKT I had or the current Explorer.

Peter

Im going to guess we drive our vehicles differently! LOL!

Peter

the Sport handles different from my father's Limited, the steering is much more precise and less light feeling, that may be why you felt little difference. I can say that it handles and performs really well, we got 20cm's of snow yesterday and I got to test it out well. Also does not throw my speedo off at all like the smaller 236/60R18 size would. (30" tall vs 29.1" tall, that's a noticeable amount)

I picked up a 2016 Sport in December. 2 days after buying it, I put on Blizzak DM-V2 265/50R20.
Very happy with the tires. Great snow/ice traction and very quiet.

BTW - purchased tires at Discount Tire and used the $70 Costco coupon, which they matched. I also went with the 265's as they did not have 255's in stock, they honored the 255 price. Very happy with Discount.

I picked up a 2016 Sport in December. 2 days after buying it, I put on Blizzak DM-V2 265/50R20.
Very happy with the tires. Great snow/ice traction and very quiet.

BTW - purchased tires at Discount Tire and used the $70 Costco coupon, which they matched. I also went with the 265's as they did not have 255's in stock, they honored the 255 price. Very happy with Discount.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Did you get a price from the dealer? Ford has a slogan that they won't be beat on tire pricing. Costco not included. I purchased my DM-V1 Winters from the dealer and they were a better price than another well known Canadian company. BTW, I use the Ford Interceptor 18" steel wheels for my Winter tires. The OEMs are 255/50R20.

Peter

I'm cross posting this a bit as this seems the more appropriate place.

So we just purchased a 2017 Sport Explorer.

We live in the SF bay area and have also just bought a place in Kirkwood to go skiing. We plan on going up probably 10-15 times in the winter, sometimes almost every weekend. But obviously in between we'll be on dry/wet streets with no snow/ice.

I know that the route we travel, 88, often has snow and is even closed frequently.

Needless to say my research was a little lacking and I found out you can't really put chains on the 20" wheels. So I need the best and safest way to get to Kirkwood with the Explorer.

So what should I actually have/need or should I say, what should be my long term plan be?

1. Stock tires (the Hankooks) + some kind of snow chain (that I don't know about that can fit on 20" rims) as backup?
2. New tires (some other all weather) on the stock 20" rims + some kind of snow chain (that I don't know about that can fit on 20" rims) as backup?
3. A dedicated set of snow tires on 18" rims and a set of snow chains as backup?

I believe the law says that in R2 conditions 4WD are ok with snow tires. So does that mean they actually check to see what tires you have? And I'm assuming the AW OEM tires won't qualify as that and I've also read they just aren't that good in snow?

And R3 condition says even 4wd must have chains installed.

Please help, I have already done lots of reading and have lots of conflicting answers/reports/input.
The other consideration is the vehicle will get lots of mileage in the summer/year round, we are expected 20k per year.

We got our 2009 LTD a few weeks back with BLIZZAK Tires and look very impressive also with deep lugs. A true winter tire may do better like Nokian Snow tires but I would not used their All Weather tire anymore as I had problems with the new rubber design in another 4WD I have. Its best to put them on a set of steel rims for your application. Especially if chains are both allowed and used. Aluminum was not intended for that use.

We live in the SF bay area and have also just bought a place in Kirkwood to go skiing. We plan on going up probably 10-15 times in the winter, sometimes almost every weekend. But obviously in between we'll be on dry/wet streets with no snow/ice.

I know that the route we travel, 88, often has snow and is even closed frequently.

Needless to say my research was a little lacking and I found out you can't really put chains on the 20" wheels. So I need the best and safest way to get to Kirkwood with the Explorer.

So what should I actually have/need or should I say, what should be my long term plan be?

1. Stock tires (the Hankooks) + some kind of snow chain (that I don't know about that can fit on 20" rims) as backup?
2. New tires (some other all weather) on the stock 20" rims + some kind of snow chain (that I don't know about that can fit on 20" rims) as backup?
3. A dedicated set of snow tires on 18" rims and a set of snow chains as backup?

I believe the law says that in R2 conditions 4WD are ok with snow tires. So does that mean they actually check to see what tires you have? And I'm assuming the AW OEM tires won't qualify as that and I've also read they just aren't that good in snow?

And R3 condition says even 4wd must have chains installed.

Please help, I have already done lots of reading and have lots of conflicting answers/reports/input.
The other consideration is the vehicle will get lots of mileage in the summer/year round, we are expected 20k per year.

You're a heavy winter user so it only makes sense to do what is most effective for the conditions and the safest.

Ford says no chains on 20" wheels.

Best option is the Ford Police Interceptor steel wheels with 2017 TPMS sensors, then pick any of the suggested DEDICATED snow tires, not all seasons.

Blizzaks, Goodyear Ice, or Nokian, or any of the really good dedicated snow tires.

Costco has some good prices.

Its around a $1000 for everything but well worth it in the long run and you save your nice OEM rims.

You're a heavy winter user so it only makes sense to do what is most effective for the conditions and the safest.

Ford says no chains on 20" wheels.

Best option is the Ford Police Interceptor steel wheels with 2017 TPMS sensors, then pick any of the suggested DEDICATED snow tires, not all seasons.

Blizzaks, Goodyear Ice, or Nokian, or any of the really good dedicated snow tires.

Costco has some good prices.

Its around a $1000 for everything but well worth it in the long run and you save your nice OEM rims.
Thanks for the reply.

That's what I figured, so let me ask a few followups.
  1. What tire size should I be shooting for on the 18"s. I have been looking for 245/60/18 but see very little out there. Is this not a very common size. Only 3 blizzaks are avail on Tire Rack.
  2. My wife won't be good with steel on the new car so decent rims are necessary. Any reason not to use Al/alloy rims for winter wheels other than they may get messed up?
  3. Are there any chain solutions as a backup that anyone is aware of? Technically around here I need to still carry chains.
Thanks,
Brian

Needless to say my research was a little lacking and I found out you can't really put chains on the 20" wheels. So I need the best and safest way to get to Kirkwood with the Explorer...............................
Welcome to the Forum Brian.:wave:
See page 322 in your Owner's Manual about the correct chains or cables that you can use.
A 235/65R18 would be a perfect replacement for a 255/50R20/
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-50r20-235-65r18

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Brian.:wave:
See page 322 in your Owner's Manual about the correct chains or cables that you can use.
A 235/65R18 would be a perfect replacement for a 255/50R20/
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=255-50r20-235-65r18

Peter
Thanks for your help. Sorry I missed your recommendation up thread.
I have read the manual but was wondering several things.
  1. Why could I put chains on an 18" wheel but not a 20 if the diameter is the same. Because of width?
  2. Any specific chain/cable recommendations for when I go 18"s?
Brian

Thanks for your help. Sorry I missed your recommendation up thread.
I have read the manual but was wondering several things.
  1. Why could I put chains on an 18" wheel but not a 20 if the diameter is the same. Because of width?
  2. Any specific chain/cable recommendations for when I go 18"s?
Brian
I'm not positive why not on a 20". I believe it may be due to possible wheel damage as it has a lower profile. I haven't used chains or cables. I have a dedicated set of Winter tires on the 18" steel Interceptor wheels. I'm sure someone will be able to help as this has come up before.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/tire-chains-for-20-wheels.329730/

Peter

Thanks for the reply.

That's what I figured, so let me ask a few followups.
  1. What tire size should I be shooting for on the 18"s. I have been looking for 245/60/18 but see very little out there. Is this not a very common size. Only 3 blizzaks are avail on Tire Rack.
  2. My wife won't be good with steel on the new car so decent rims are necessary. Any reason not to use Al/alloy rims for winter wheels other than they may get messed up?
  3. Are there any chain solutions as a backup that anyone is aware of? Technically around here I need to still carry chains.
Thanks,
Brian

1. The 245/60/18 is what I have but as suggested the 235 is good also. Maybe one is harder to find or is available with a better price? I bought the previous year version Blizzak's and saved good coin.

2. If the cop looking wheels are not your thing then there are many aftermarket wheels out there in the 18 variety. I just figured stay cheap and make them heavy duty to take banging into ice, potholes, and curbs since they are winter wheels. I paid $74 each Can so you can likely get them cheaper. Up here in Canuckistann we have to pay extra to support global warming and Syrian refugees with their 7 kids.

3. Lots of 18" chain solutions, we run them on the PI Utility's we have when the snow gets really bad.

1. The 245/60/18 is what I have but as suggested the 235 is good also. Maybe one is harder to find or is available with a better price? I bought the previous year version Blizzak's and saved good coin.

2. If the cop looking wheels are not your thing then there are many aftermarket wheels out there in the 18 variety. I just figured stay cheap and make them heavy duty to take banging into ice, potholes, and curbs since they are winter wheels. I paid $74 each Can so you can likely get them cheaper. Up here in Canuckistann we have to pay extra to support global warming and Syrian refugees with their 7 kids.

3. Lots of 18" chain solutions, we run them on the PI Utility's we have when the snow gets really bad.

I can find the 235s no problem but I'm a little worried about what I read upthread with 235s maybe being a bit on the skinny side when on pavement. Would do 245 in a heartbeat but can't find 4 of any 1 tire online

Brian

I use 255/55/18s run flat performance winters, went with run flat winters by accident then realized I really didn't want to change a tire in the snow, especially trying to find a solid spot to use the jack just in case. Didn't even throw out the speedometer more than about 1% from actual, little smaller than stock size in height but works well. The size I mentioned is one of the most common SUV size available unless you need a tire with less width, I wanted to retain some cornering ability when dry or just wet out that's why picked these.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

........ If the cop looking wheels are not your thing then there are many aftermarket wheels out there in the 18 variety. I just figured stay cheap and make them heavy duty to take banging into ice, potholes, and curbs since they are winter wheels. I paid $74 each Can so you can likely get them cheaper. Up here in Canuckistann we have to pay extra to support global warming and Syrian refugees with their 7 kids.
You won't get the Interceptor wheels cheaper in the States. I believe they run around $200 each there. A few members have actually crossed over at Windsor and Sarnia, Ontario to buy those wheels from a Ford dealer and took them back home. This applies to other Ford steel wheels as well.

Peter

Back