Winter tires | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter tires

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So today I get told the lugs on the 2020 are bigger, the size of F150 lugs now, but sometimes I get told stuff to screw with me and it's not true, can someone who has one confirm they are bigger?

Might have to drill out my wheels!

So myself, like many other ST owners, got the ST pack for their Explorer. With the upgraded brake setup on these - would an 18" Rim even fit? There is room to definitely step down to a 20" or even a 19" but had some doubts on 18". If the PIU's come with 18 then that positively answers the question on that, but I have not found any definitive answers.

Here's a good rule of thumb; the wheel size has to be at least 3.25" greater than the actual rotor diameter.

I have 12.75" rotors inside of OEM 16" Limited wheels, custom brakes I chose that size, to fit for snow tires(and wheels). I could alter that when I redesign the brake brackets again, but that would add an inch to the rotor, requiring a 17" wheel(13.75" rotor).

Check the actual rotor diameter carefully, very often the advertised figure is off by .1 to.25".

A 15.0" rotor won't fit inside an 18" wheel, but a 14.75" rotor will most likely. That 3.25" larger figure I stated leaves virtually no gap at the rotor. Most OEM rotors are away from that ##.75" mark, such as Cobra 12.9" rotors(called 13"). older Explorers have 11.25" rotors, but they are called 11" sized.

Has this been posted before? Apologies if it has.

Tirerack has updated their site and now has winter packages available from 18" through 22" [including Street and Track replacements].

Jay

Tirerack has updated their site and now has winter packages available from 18" through 22" [including Street and Track replacements].

Jay
Around here Ford always has a Winter tire and wheel special. If you happen to buy or lease a vehicle at that same time, the package is free.

Peter

Jay

Ah this is new - they just updated the site very recently. Comparing rim spacing/sizing - it does appear the ‘19 Explorer does share compatible rim sizes.

Tirerack has updated their site and now has winter packages available from 18" through 22"

Thanks. Looking at 18"-20", it seems that the winter tire selection is quite small. I wonder if other tire width/profiles would yield other choices but maybe the circumferences might be too off.

Around here Ford always has a Winter tire and wheel special. If you happen to buy or lease a vehicle at that same time, the package is free.

Peter
What do you mean the winter tire package is free?

Free as in no charge.
So obviously, they keep the stock wheels that were originally on the vehicle when delivered.
So what you are doing is trading original wheels and tires for winter wheels and tires?

So obviously, they keep the stock wheels that were originally on the vehicle when delivered.
So what you are doing is trading original wheels and tires for winter wheels and tires?
Nope. The Winter wheels are put on the vehicle and then you have the option of having them store the OEM wheels. You end up with two sets. I declined the offer the last time since I already had a set of 18" Winter wheels and tire and they gave me a credit. Can't recall how much but it wouldn't have been enough to buy a wheel. This promo has been run for several years.

Peter

I run a 20" cooper Weather Master WSC Tire on a 2011 cx9 AWD and they have been absolutely flawless in snow and ice. They still have siping at 45k miles!

I'm still trying to gather more information as to what rims fit the 2020 ST with the performance brakes. I was just at Ford and they have a fitment guide showing the ST needs to use the 20" LC5Z 1007 DWSP rim with 255/55R20. I can't even find a picture that shows what that rim looks like and the price is crazy, just under $400 CAD ea. Finding rubber that size is not easy either, all said an done a set of those rims with Michelin Alpine LA2's is going to run around $3,000 out the door.

Has anyone tried to fit an 18" rim yet? The dealer is going to get in the 18" Steel 'LB5Z 1015 B' to see if it will fit. I'll save around $1,000 if I can get 18's instead of the 20's listed above.

For those wondering, the Ford spec sheet also shows the hub size is 70.5. After market rims I have been looking at listed it as being 67.10.

I'm still trying to gather more information as to what rims fit the 2020 ST with the performance brakes. I was just at Ford and they have a fitment guide showing the ST needs to use the 20" LC5Z 1007 DWSP rim with 255/55R20. I can't even find a picture that shows what that rim looks like and the price is crazy, just under $400 CAD ea. Finding rubber that size is not easy either, all said an done a set of those rims with Michelin Alpine LA2's is going to run around $3,000 out the door.

Has anyone tried to fit an 18" rim yet? The dealer is going to get in the 18" Steel 'LB5Z 1015 B' to see if it will fit. I'll save around $1,000 if I can get 18's instead of the 20's listed above.

For those wondering, the Ford spec sheet also shows the hub size is 70.5. After market rims I have been looking at listed it as being 67.10.

There are plenty of 18" options on tirerack and discounttiredirect if you are looking at 18s. The PIU 18s are different for 2020 than 11-19. My guess is the offset as they are both 5 x 114.3.

.........Has anyone tried to fit an 18" rim yet? The dealer is going to get in the 18" Steel 'LB5Z 1015 B' to see if it will fit. I'll save around $1,000 if I can get 18's instead of the 20's listed above.............
Please report back on whether the 18" will fit. I don't believe anyone has actually tried fitting them. I have the Interceptor 18" wheels for Winter. Thanks.

Peter

Please report back on whether the 18" will fit. I don't believe anyone has actually tried fitting them. I have the Interceptor 18" wheels for Winter. Thanks.

Peter

I will definitely let everyone know, however it won't be for a week or two depending on when they can fit time into their schedule to test the rim. I offered to take the rim home and test it myself but was told I'd have to buy the rim at that point. :p The 2011-2019 doesn't fit as the centre bore on the 2020 is larger than the previous gen.

There are plenty of 18" options on tirerack and discounttiredirect if you are looking at 18s. The PIU 18s are different for 2020 than 11-19. My guess is the offset as they are both 5 x 114.3.

Tirerack shipping is too much, over $700 to ship a set of rims/tires. I finally have the bore size but no info on the offset yet.

It's good to hear that Ford has kept the main 5x114.3mm(5x4.50") bolt pattern. But it sounds like they messed with the center hub size. I recall the older Fords are about 70.3mm, so swapping wheels(from older models) is unlikely for newer models.

Took a photo of the spec sheet while I had a chance.

Explorer rim sizes.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tirerack shipping is too much, over $700 to ship a set of rims/tires. I finally have the bore size but no info on the offset yet.

? Shipping is free. just ordered my 18" rims with Michelin Latitude XIce2 mounted and roadforce balanced from them.

Back