corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
any questions on winterizing your boat, ask away,.

k, little backround here,,
i work at a fishing lodge, and i have to store the 90 boats that belong to the lodge every winter,,
also,,, i work at a marina in the off season, and we store a pile of boats probably about 130 there as well,
we store, inboard, as well as outboard.
so questions about just about any brand are okay, :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice, a service many pay way too much money for these days. I've been thinking about doing a writeup myself. Back in the day I even made my own winterizing kit using a 5 gallon bucket that I tapped a hose spicket with a garden hose going down to a fake-a-lake. Got the engine running and ran about 5-6 gallons of the pink anti freeze through while fogging the engine if I remember.

I was into the bucket maybe $10 when Overtons wanted like $50 for their fancy little bucket.

Do you like to pull the hoses off and drain them or leave it full of the antifreeze? I've seen it done both ways.

that depends on the motor,, outboard , i run some thru it, but leave it empty,
inboard, i take all the hoses off and all the plugs,, block manifold,crossover and even tube to drive unit,, make sure there are water free, and than reassemble, and leave off one line to the water pump,, than put about 1 1/2 liters of coolant in that line, than put it away,, also depends on if it is a shrinkwrap boat or a store in the building boat, we don't have heated storage, but we do have some with roof,,

I built my "fake-a-lake" bucket from a free Pep Boys orange bucket, a through-hull fitting, a hose bib and some 5200 - I use it professionally every fall. :smoke:

I always drain the raw-water side after flushing with fresh water, before adding the non-tox so that it's un-diluted. I then leave the non-tox in the system, since it has corrosion inhibitors for the steel block.

Least favorite day of the year here last Saturday. Glad I saved the money though doing the service myself. I have two favorite tools, one, the winterizing bucket, 2 the self contained oil change pump.

543d46b3.jpg

9daa538a.jpg

Back