• Register Today It's free!

Wiper blade/arm adjustments?

jhu8

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Okay so I've never had this bad of an issue with any of my previous vehicles but no matter what I do, no matter how clean I keep the blades on my Explorer, they continue to skip and make tons of noises when in use. It is just driving me crazy at this point as I don't know what else to do besides trying new blades. But before I do that, is there any other adjustments that I could try making to the blade themselves or I have heard mentions about the angle of the arm or something along those lines. Again, I have never really had this much of an issue with previous vehicles so I've never had to dive into this issue. As far as I know these are the factory blades. I bought the car used with 11000 miles on it so I'm assuming they're still the original. Anyone have any issues with the original blades or just general suggestions to try?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay so I've never had this bad of an issue with any of my previous vehicles but no matter what I do, no matter how clean I keep the blades on my Explorer, they continue to skip and make tons of noises when in use. It is just driving me crazy at this point as I don't know what else to do besides trying new blades. But before I do that, is there any other adjustments that I could try making to the blade themselves or I have heard mentions about the angle of the arm or something along those lines. Again, I have never really had this much of an issue with previous vehicles so I've never had to dive into this issue. As far as I know these are the factory blades. I bought the car used with 11000 miles on it so I'm assuming they're still the original. Anyone have any issues with the original blades or just general suggestions to try?

I went through several, including two brand new sets of different types of Trico blades on mine before I finally gave in and went back to Bosch wipers. Smooth as silk. The weird thing was, the first set of Tricos were fine on my '13; they were practically new, so when I bought the '15, I swapped them over before I left. Chattered like crazy. Cleaned the blades, cleaned the windshield. Still chattering. Bought another set of Tricos. Still chattering. Put a the Bosch blades on, and no problems for months.

I went through several, including two brand new sets of different types of Trico blades on mine before I finally gave in and went back to Bosch wipers. Smooth as silk. The weird thing was, the first set of Tricos were fine on my '13; they were practically new, so when I bought the '15, I swapped them over before I left. Chattered like crazy. Cleaned the blades, cleaned the windshield. Still chattering. Bought another set of Tricos. Still chattering. Put a the Bosch blades on, and no problems for months.

Thanks for the info. What brand is the OEM blades? Either way maybe I'll just give and pick up a new set. Perhaps the Bosch based on your experience.

I read the manual but can't definitively tell. Is it the pinch tab style or the J hook? Store has both for the 26" one.

Try sanding the edge of the wiper blade that touches the window with some wet sandpaper.

I read the manual but can't definitively tell. Is it the pinch tab style or the J hook? Store has both for the 26" one.

If you buy the one listed for the Explorer, it will have the correct piece. It's not one of the standard ones.

Adjust the arm. Mine did the same thing and was driving me nuts. I adjusted the wiper arm on the drivers side and it worked like a charm after that with any blades.

Give it a shot

Adjust the arm. Mine did the same thing and was driving me nuts. I adjusted the wiper arm on the drivers side and it worked like a charm after that with any blades.

Give it a shot

What did he clamp onto the arm? Or what did you use? Looks like nothing fancy and was just a matter of twisting the arm so it's more perpendicular to the windshield. Is that correct?

That is all there is to it. I used my hands to twist it a bit. It took just a little twist to do it , mine chattered on the way up so I twisted it down a bit. Cleaned the blade and away I went. You could use a pair of pliers with soft jaws in them (plastic pieces) to not scratch the wiper arm.

That is all there is to it. I used my hands to twist it a bit. It took just a little twist to do it , mine chattered on the way up so I twisted it down a bit. Cleaned the blade and away I went. You could use a pair of pliers with soft jaws in them (plastic pieces) to not scratch the wiper arm.

Okay great, will give that a go! It's really just the passenger side, on the upward movement where it really chatters. Thanks for the tip.

Back