Wiper Interval Governor?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiper Interval Governor?!

'merica93

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
Hello,
I have a 1993 Explorer and the wipers stopped working. After plugging in a new wiper motor with no success, I followed the clicking noise under the dash and pulled the wiper interval governor which clicks on and off when I turn the intermittent wipers on. Is there any way to salvage this or do I need to find a new one? Also, out of the black, white, red, and blue wires going to the motor, which ones can I connect to a toggle switch to attempt something temporary (there is snow tomorrow and I need to get to work)?
Any and all input is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the diagram for the 94 Navajo. Should be the same.

Attachments

• 58883759.jpg
    58883759.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 454

Thank you for the diagram! unfortunately I still haven't figured this out, I may try replacing the multifunction switch and see if that's the trouble

Glad you found it.

^ Use a multimeter to measure for resistance between the ground at the motor connector and any random chassis ground point. Next, measure for resistance between the Interval Wiper Module (assume black wire, the diagram is a bit hard to read) and any chassis ground point. Resistance should ideally be near 0 ohms but Ford often states less than 5 ohms is acceptable for wiring.

^ Use a multimeter to measure for resistance between the ground at the motor connector and any random chassis ground point. Next, measure for resistance between the Interval Wiper Module (assume black wire, the diagram is a bit hard to read) and any chassis ground point. Resistance should ideally be near 0 ohms but Ford often states less than 5 ohms is acceptable for wiring. Definitely gonna try that after work...hey dont know if you remember but was there a ground hooked to the module box..dont think so but thought I'd ask

Oh dang wrote in wrong place thanks I'm def gonna check after work cause I've everything but sometimes the intermitten work and twitch then other times they start and just stop whenever could be 5 swipes or more.oh no park..I used jumper wire out under hood and spliced into white and black and they will park fine..but I loose everything else except high...so hopefully ground

^ Use a multimeter to measure for resistance between the ground at the motor connector and any random chassis ground point. Next, measure for resistance between the Interval Wiper Module (assume black wire, the diagram is a bit hard to read) and any chassis ground point. Resistance should ideally be near 0 ohms but Ford often states less than 5 ohms is acceptable for wiring.
6.2 not good ? Not real good with multimeter that was at motor where wires run into motor and connector plug that goes thru firewall and at module pins....clean maybe?

^ I'm not clear on exactly what you're stating, but yes if the motor ground has 6.2 ohms between it and a clean chassis ground, connectors or ground point needs cleaned or frayed wire replaced. Even so, I'd have thought an additional single-digit ohms would make it run slow, wouldn't have resulted in motor not running at all, considering it's a brushed DC type.

Back