• Register Today It's free!

Wipers on with remote start?

NunavutExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Nunavut
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 XLT 3.5 App/Tech pkg
I noticed the wipers do not go when remote started. With snow starting here I find it is going to be very annoying without the wipers when remote starting. As when get out to go with vehicle will be mostly ice covered from defrost without wipers. At least with the wipers it will remove the snow and then will defrost the windshield. Is there a setting to make the wiper activate with remote start? Hope I am missing a setting I didn't see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Present behavior is better. If the ice has frozen to the blades you risk ripping the wiper apart. You're best to let the defroster do the work, then let the wipers effortlessly clear when you're ready to go.

...... Is there a setting to make the wiper activate with remote start? Hope I am missing a setting I didn't see.
No, there isn't a setting for that. I agree with thefranchise713 that it is better the way it is. If there wasn't any snow on the windshield why would you want your wipers working for an extended period of time in a bare windshield? Even with an option to turn the feature ON/OFF you never know for sure what the weather is going to do.

Peter

Good catch, Peter. I forgot the possibility of a bare windshield.

OK, I see the point of the bare windshield and obviously if the wipers were frozen. Overlooked the scenario. Was only thinking about letting the wipers clear off the snow before it heats up and melt the snow creating ice. Worried about once when get out to vehicle the snow would be melted causing the unwiped snow around the wipers would then create a slushy spot and the wipers would be frozen to the windshield which was the scenario on my '08 F150 when I have forgotten to put the wipers on night before and it snowed out overnight.

When I know it is going to snow, I leave my wipers up off the windshield. Nothing freezes on the blades. Also puts a lot of strain on the wiper and wiper motors with heavy snow and trying to clean the windshield without using a snow broom.

I agree with everyone else, you don't want your wipers working unattended.

I also prop my wipers up off the windshield if it's going to snow or ice. Then once my truck is warmed up I drop them down on the window and by the time I'm in the car and set to go the windshield has transferred enough heat to melt the ice on the blades making them useable. Also in Virginia I only deal with this situation 10x a year unlike most of you that live much farther north.

Good answers all, I was going to tell him how to power the wipers with the remote start circuit.

Back