1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Wire Fixed. Please help with more driver's door lock issues

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by jimborasco, June 18, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. jimborasco

jimborasco New Member

City, State:
    middle of nowhere in the mountains of southwestern VA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 Explorer
    I had some time today so I went ahead and put new wire between the break in the door boot. When I first fixed it and closed the door, it locked by itself... with the keys in the explorer! I unlocked the door with another key and it hasn't locked or unlocked since then except with the key, just like before. :scratch: What next? I have to admit I'm not much good at electrical diagnostics. I can solder wires together and change connections or switches when I know they're dead, but as far as tracing down what in the wiring is causing the problem, I'm lost. Anyone know where I should look next? It won't work with either the power switch in the door or with the remote. All the other doors and ALL the windows work without any trouble from the drivers side switch and the remote. No 'door ajar' problems or anything else (that I know of) Would it most likely be the switch or the actuator? How do I tell which? Thanks for any information or help you can spare a poor newb for his wife's ride.

Last edited: June 18, 2013
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. jimborasco

jimborasco New Member

City, State:
    middle of nowhere in the mountains of southwestern VA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 Explorer
    Still can't figure out why the driver's door won't lock

I fixed the broken wire but it didn't fix the door lock issue. I am getting a little leery of playing with the wires in the boot lest things start to snowball. As I said, I found a broken wire and fixed it last week, but I have NO idea what it controlled as it didn't fix the door lock issue. Now today the mirror switch isn't working either! Checked the fuse and it's good. I have searched the forum (which I'm not having any luck with) for the mirror issue AND how to determine if it is the actuator or the door switch causing the door not locking issue. Am I right in thinking it's more likely to be the actuator since the switch and remote controls all the other doors? I could really use some help with this and would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.