Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How to: Wire in Factory Sub to Aftermarket Stereo

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by stackz, March 4, 2006.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 Mounty
      I already replaced the driver with aftermarket. I am not looking for audiophile quality but I would like the bass to go deeper in octave. In other words, more accuracy is the goal. I don't think the stock sub amp even does anything below 60

In the past I connected some image dynamics 12dvc to the stock amp and it sounded just like the 8" was still playing. The amp is the weak link here--

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Turdle, if I were you, I’d get a quality line out converter and wire it in to one of the factory speaker channels, and then run that to a cheap aftermarket amp. Some amps have these built in ( sometimes called “high level inputs”) This, and a mid range small volume enclosure sub and you should be in business.

4. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
    5. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      I got a sony xplod 800w amp and wiring kit from a guy on fb marketplace for 25 bux. It has high level inputs, 4 3 2 capability.

I was going to get some tweeters for the front speakers and run them off the 2 using the bridged rear for sub.
      From my understanding, the headunit does not output below 125 hz to the front 4 channels. It will not output the 125 hz and below to the sub unless it recognizes it being hooked up and powered on.
      From my reading I need a 5v relay to power the 12v remote turn on ( from switched source) The stock remote on is a 5v signal, and another wire needs to be grounded but this is where I get lost--

6. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      You could grab 5v from a USB charger wired into something that’s powered in key on. I’d assume you just need to turn on the factory amp? Not sure what you’d need to ground. For that kind of trouble I’d just swap in an aftermarket double din and get aux in, bluetooth and sub controls. But, I’ve always had a problem with factory stereo gear

7. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I don't know the details of how the stock sub wiring works, what you've posted sounds right. I'd do what you are planning, use the stock sub signal to run to the aftermarket amp, and adjust as needed with the line converter device, and/or the amp gain etc.

The OEM decks(the two Pioneers), can be internally upgraded to output low level signals(5). I have my one good one that way, still wired to the stock system in my Mercury. I love the OEM look and big buttons, I look forward to the better sound using RCA cables though.

If we could find someone capable of servicing these Mach/Premium decks ... I could have mine duplicated to make me a spare, and share the modification with others. Mine is still untested(the RCA outputs), but I'm sure the Dave Miller who did this succeeded. He's retired I believe.

8. Turdle

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      I think all this talk really should be in here. My bad.

Test your Mach audio knowledge!