wiring to the battery from interior | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wiring to the battery from interior

frankdmayo

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 explorer
This may sound dumb, but I was wiring up a set of tow lights and need to connect directly to the vehicle battery ( with a fuse of course) but I can not find a way to get through to the battery from inside the interior of the vehicle

Vehicle 2012 Ford Eplorer XLT.

Any help would be great, but I really need to go to the battery and dont see a lot of room to drill a hole through the firewall and truthfully I don't want to drill :eek: unless there is no other way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Frank, It sounds like you just need to find the trailer wiring harness built in to the factory wiring. I don't know where it is on the Explorer, but it should be somewhere near the back end of the vehicle and will have a wire coming from the battery and protected by a fuse or relay. This would also give you connections for brake, turn and tail lights, and running lights. These functions would then be operated by the standard vehicle controls.
You might try a search for trailer wiring if you don't have a factory wiring diagram.

2012 has an optional auxiliary switch option.

Most are pre-wired for the switch and have leads running to the front and rear for aux lights etc.

Ford calls them "up-fitter" switches.

You will have a storage pocket or the like on the dash where this up-fitter switch kit would be.

Pop that cover/pocket, whatever off to see if your rig is pre-wired for the upgrade.

If so you can just order the switch and install yourself. Nice!

sizeimage_zpsf58e8024.jpg

For trailer lights:

download2_zpscfa0a6f0.jpg

Frank, It sounds like you just need to find the trailer wiring harness built in to the factory wiring. I don't know where it is on the Explorer, but it should be somewhere near the back end of the vehicle and will have a wire coming from the battery and protected by a fuse or relay. This would also give you connections for brake, turn and tail lights, and running lights. These functions would then be operated by the standard vehicle controls.
You might try a search for trailer wiring if you don't have a factory wiring diagram.
I bought the matching harness but the control module says to connect it's power wire directly to the battery it came with a fuse also. Yes the plugs all match up to the ford plugs. What I did was there is a 12v accessory plug (looks like a cig lighter plug) and tied it in there because its already fused anyways. So I now have trailer lights working :) but I hope I don't have to ever run a wire to the battery! I thought it would be good to know so if anyone knows how to get to the battery from the inside compartment I'm still all ears :)

Can't confirm, but "rumor" has it that there is 12v supply available for accessory use in the jack storage.

By "connect to battery" they just mean 12v always on.

You still have the option of looking into whether or not your 2012 has the battery lead already installed for the factory auxiliary switch kit.

It is a common practice for cars to ship with all the wiring in place for optional upgrades. This way a dealer can up-sell options but not have to cut the car apart to put it in.

Can't confirm, but "rumor" has it that there is 12v supply available for accessory use in the jack storage.

By "connect to battery" they just mean 12v always on.

You still have the option of looking into whether or not your 2012 has the battery lead already installed for the factory auxiliary switch kit.

It is a common practice for cars to ship with all the wiring in place for optional upgrades. This way a dealer can up-sell options but not have to cut the car apart to put it in.

this^^^

may cost a bit more, but it will look factory, work like factory...and more than likely simply hook up once you take that blank pocket out and provide you with some additional auxiliary switches :thumbsup::thumbsup:

wiring from interior to battery

Thanks for the information on the switch information I'm going to look for it to see if it's there. At least it would provide additional Accessories to add at a later time. I'll let you know....thanks
:salute:

You could pop into a dealer and ask them to show you where all that extra bizwax is located.

Back