• Register Today It's free!

Wiring Troubles

Dwoody16

Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' Ford Explorer 4X4 2D
I need some help...i got myself in a mess and can't afford a licensed mechanic.I Bought a pioneer Radio/CD Player/MP3 Player to put in my 98 ford explorer sport and the wiring was different then what was on the new stereo....I have most of it figured out but there's 2 wires that i can't figure out if it's hot or ground or where they go.I need a Diagram.I bought the explorer used and it didn't have the manual to use as a Reference.Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! I gotta have my Music....

download your manual online. or Google wire diagram for your vehicle. use you manual for your new cd player to find that wiring diagram and what each color is.. (if there not already labeled) then just solder or use butt connectors to put everything together... the colors should match up somewhat well.. you might get a few wires unused... like power antenna mute dimmer.. but who uses mute in a car anywhere? i grab the knob and turn it down.. on a curious note what kinda "deck" did you get?

www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1921320

In the future, they sell adapter harnesses that make it so you can plug your aftermarket stereo directly to your factory plugs. The wire colors on the adapter harnesses match the wire colors on the aftermarket stereo's plug as well, just to make life easier on you.

Back