• Register Today It's free!

Won’t Crank Sometimes

Lgscott3

Reaction score
City, State
Quinton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Explorer Limited
Hello, Explorer newbie here. I have a 2013 Limited with 84,000 miles on it. And just yesterday it started having a starting problem. When you push the button it acts like it has a dead battery. But then if you try it several times, it starts right up.
I’ve checked terminal connections. They are on tight. No other loose connections I can see.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Is it the original battery?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Is it the original battery?

Peter
Honestly I have no idea. I bought it used in May of 2013. It’s a Motorcraft battery but the date sticker is gone.

I’m at Advance Auto getting a battery now. Figured I’d try it first.

Honestly I have no idea. I bought it used in May of 2013. It’s a Motorcraft battery but the date sticker is gone.

I’m at Advance Auto getting a battery now. Figured I’d try it first.
A good first step if you are unsure of the battery's age. I guess you could have had it tested.

Need more information.

Define the actual "dead battery" behavior... dead as a doornail, nothing? Or does it click? Is there an error in the IPC when this happens? ("no key detected," "starting system error," or others?) Have you scanned for codes, particularly the BCM and PCM?

If the battery is original to the vehicle, it's well time for a new one. After 3 years the battery's health should be regularly reviewed (at least 2x a year in my opinion.)

Need more information.

Define the actual "dead battery" behavior... dead as a doornail, nothing? Or does it click? Is there an error in the IPC when this happens? ("no key detected," "starting system error," or others?) Have you scanned for codes, particularly the BCM and PCM?

If the battery is original to the vehicle, it's well time for a new one. After 3 years the battery's health should be regularly reviewed (at least 2x a year in my opinion.)

Thank you all. I got the battery tested and it was a little low on voltage, but very low on CCA. Only 400. I think OE calls for 650. There were no obvious (to me) errors in the display panel. No CEL or any of the other messages. However, it was acting weird by leaving the lights on when locking it. So, I went ahead and changed the battery and seems to have fixed everything.

These new cars with computers do weird stuff when the battery starts going bad. Thanks for the quick advice.

Glad the fix was easy. Low voltage will cause a lot of ill effects, and the inability to put out enough CCAs will leave you stranded.

Back