Won’t shift into over drive only 96 ford ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Won’t shift into over drive only 96 ford ranger

David Carnahan

Reaction score
City, State
Dundas,Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 ford ranger xlt
Hi their I have a 1996 for ranger and and I’m having an issue with it going into overdrive was working fine last night and then now it’s not wanting to go into over drive, it will shift from the first 3 gears np at all and won’t go into overdrive only. The fluid is fine checked that and when I looked underneath at the pan their is no visible leaks did find wiring harness for the transmissionand it’s very dirty, should I try and clean that? It will hit 3000 rpms doing 80 and higher if I go faster what’s could cause this issue?

David, welcome. Are there any warning lights that are on?. You might want to go to a local parts store & have them hook up a scanner & see if there are any codes in the system.

Hi their I have a 1996 for ranger and and I’m having an issue with it going into overdrive was working fine last night and then now it’s not wanting to go into over drive, it will shift from the first 3 gears np at all and won’t go into overdrive only. The fluid is fine checked that and when I looked underneath at the pan their is no visible leaks did find wiring harness for the transmissionand it’s very dirty, should I try and clean that? It will hit 3000 rpms doing 80 and higher if I go faster what’s could cause this issue?
You might pull the plastic surrounding the ignition key and tumbler area as my 97 explorer had a similar issue where it wouldn't go into OD. When I took that plastic off you could see the wires coming from the button in the shifter were worn through and no longer making contact. I repaired them and good as new ! Good luck I hope this helps

Do you have the 4.0, 3.0, or 2.3 engine?

Back