• Register Today It's free!

Wont go into 4x4

93GreenX

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
My 93 has the electronic pushbutton transfer case switches on the dash. It never worked right, but now it wont even into 4 wheel drive or low range. What could be broken? Would it be the switch or something else?

It was hardly ever used,

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Denny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a stuck piviot bolt in the T-Case. I would drain and refill the fluid (fresh fluid never hurts) and give that sucker a nice wack on the side with a rubber mallet! It sounds stupid but it usually does the trick for getting it unstuck.

Good Luck! :)

What does it do when the button is pressed? Does it even make any clicking noises or anything?

Absolutley nothing happens. I pushed the button several times around the house a few minutes ago and nothing. None of the indicator lights by the button or the dash came on, no noises from the t/c or anything at all.

Something in the switch maybe?

Is it something that can b e fixed at home?

Pull the electric motor on thr transfer case. No big deal ..really. Just afew bolts. Observe the position of the drive end of the servo. Now turn on the ignition, not to start, just so you have power. Have someone push the 4WD button. The motor should run for just a second ( to engage the tranny if it were bolted on). If the motor doesn't run, it may be bad or not getting power. If it does run, you have a mechanical problem, most likely in the hubs. This little test will at least help troubleshoot the problem. I would also check that the motor has some torque to it by inserting a slotted screwdriver into the drive end and seeing if you can ho,ld the motor from turning it.
Before reinstalling the motor, make sure it is in the same position as when it was removed.

i had problem with my 4low and than talked to jason about it and he said that i hadda hold brake when i put it in 4lo as well as being in N...works everytime now that i hold break. just a suggestion

Back