• Register Today It's free!

DForseth

Reaction score
City, State
Yorkville, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
Hello fellow Explorers!

I desperately need your help. My Dad's 2005 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC will not turn over anymore.

Initial problem was that it would run extremely rough, and backfire every now and then. Replaced ignition coil, spark plugs & wires, crankshaft sensor. It started running a bit better, but not completely better.

Then when the truck reached mid-temp the engine would just turn off and not start again until it cooled. This started occurring right when he got gas... I had figured he got bad gas, so I drained the tank, and replaced the fuel filter. This didn't solve the problem. Soon after I had tried to start it, the truck ran for 3-5 seconds EXTREMELY rough, and kicked off. Now it won't turn over at all. So I tried replacing the fuel pump! With no improvements!!!

We've had a death close in the family (as you can see my Dad here: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...ected-Death-on-Carnival-Cruise-248036511.html), and of course we're all strapped for cash because of it or I'd give up and take it to a shop at this point. Of course cannot afford it.

Needless to say, my hands are busted up and I desperately need help from you all!!!!! All help trying to figure out this problem is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no one can help?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Easy big fella!! Someone will chime in. Just be patient. There are thousands of guys on here that love helping people out.

The unwritten rule is 24 hours before expecting a reply.

Believe it or not, our mission in life is not to help you, but to help fellow man.

No one here is on the clock and we all have jobs and family that keep us pretty busy. We love RBV's an thats why we are here.

You must understand that we all do this because of our love for the RBV..

Having said that, Welcome aboard!! :salute:

First of all, I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. It must be difficult. You will get lot's of advice here, just be patient.

Like was asked, first thing is to check for codes. You've ruled out some obvious stuff by replacing parts so that helps. The fact that it was backfiring tells me it wasn't a lack of fuel. So could be you are getting a lot of missed spark. Or could be that you have a bad injector that is dumping fuel.

First thing check the codes and go from there.

Alright... No codes are coming up on the OBD reader (just my luck). It does say Fuel pressure is around 70 prior to attempt to start. When I try to crank it, it jumps all over between 48-79 PSI. Of course there is no shrader valve on the 05' Explorer so I'm getting this from the OBD reader. Could this be a fuel pressure sensor? (guy at autozone told me this) .I also did a "TEST" from the cluster gauge, and it came up with "CODE" D900, 9352, 9360.

ALSO- My father recently enlightened me on that for the past two-three months, every time he drove through a puddle or snow drift he'd get a "check charging system" fault on the cluster gauge display.

I have another 05' explorer, and an 04' so I can swap parts for diagnostic if need be.

I really appreciate your help!!!!

Just got it started. Unplugged ECU and battery, flicked ignition 12 times, hooked everything back up. It starts eventually with foot almost all the way down on the accelerator. I have to keep giving it gas to keep it running. It will only rev to 2K RPM (normal?). I swapped MAF sensor from one 05' to another with no changes in either. Smell a lot of fuel somewhere. A lot seems to be coming out of the muffler. I stuck my finger in it with a rich smell, and extremely damp.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

The explorer is limited to 3000rpm in park/neutral. If you're getting lots of fuel out the tailpipe, it means you aren't getting spark when you should to one or more cylinders. That could be bad spark plug/s, bad coil pack/s, or bad crank angle sensor. Unfortunately, you will need to replace these things to determine which is causing the fault.

I guess if you have access to another 05 explorer, you could swap pats over - start with plugs, and see if that helps, if not, then try coil packs, and lastly the CAS. If all else fails, then you may just need to take it to the shop....

Thanks JCUZ, but we already tried all those.

Any other ideas?

Just got it to throw codes... FINALLY... P2110, 2100, P0223, P0201, & P0122.

Thank you for everyone's support!!!!

swapped manifold with other 05' now just getting P0201.

swapped manifold with other 05' now just getting P0201.

Injector or injector wiring fault? My dad's ranger used to throw this frequently. ended up just being the wiring so not that expensive.

So I'm getting 12 volts at the injector wire. Took out injector and cleaned it up. Re-installed and still running extremely rough... NO CODES?!?! I'm not sure. If I could get it to run long enough to get it to the dealership, I'd pay the 100 for them to diagnose it.

Thanks for your help!

Also, when I'm able to get it to run, it runs extremely rough, and then will eventually cut out when it starts to warm up. Then have to wait until it cools back down to start (30's in Chicago area today).

If I don't wait until it cools, it'll backfire a lot when trying to start. Checked ignition coil/plugs/wires. Battery is voltage: 13.27 volts.

Let it run until it dies. Cool it and restart to see if any more codes pop up. Dealer may not be able to help, though. My brother had a focus idling at 4500 rpm and the dealer said no fault. Hopefully they can help you.

...well... found the issue, clogged cat probably from the bad gas... 599.99 for new cat system from auto zone.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Back