Won't start, steering won't lock, ignition is ok? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Won't start, steering won't lock, ignition is ok?

MikNaa

Reaction score
City, State
Woodland, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer
Been stuck for 4 days now with my Mountaineer not starting. Had a guy come out to replace what I thought was my ignition being bad, but turns out my ignition key, lock cylinder is alright, along with my keys.

Issue started after parking at store parking lot, when coming back out to start my mountaineer, I noticed the ignition seemed sloppy, no resistance, and then noticed it will not engage into the lock steering mode when in park with the key removed.

Here's what's going on, I cannot start my vehicle, my key goes into the ignition, no clicking sound though per locksmith, seems a bit sloppy, then starts to resist again like it should. I can shift into all gears (reverse, neutral, drives, and the steering wheel will still turn the tires left or right. But it will NOT lock up the steering wheel when the key is taken out. The key though if I put the car in Drive gear will rotate completely backwards to where the accessory mode is in the beginning. I think it might be in the steering column where the housing connects to the key cylinder? Is there a fix or anyone have any ideas?

I noted my check engine light is on, and a check gage light, brake light on but goes off if I tap brake pedal, or engage and dis-engage the emergency brake, the anti theft seems to be working properly, key's were just checked last year and are good. This is perplexing, and I really don't want to change the whole steering column if it ends up being an easy fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been stuck for 4 days now with my Mountaineer not starting. Had a guy come out to replace what I thought was my ignition being bad, but turns out my ignition key, lock cylinder is alright, along with my keys.

Issue started after parking at store parking lot, when coming back out to start my mountaineer, I noticed the ignition seemed sloppy, no resistance, and then noticed it will not engage into the lock steering mode when in park with the key removed.

Here's what's going on, I cannot start my vehicle, my key goes into the ignition, no clicking sound though per locksmith, seems a bit sloppy, then starts to resist again like it should. I can shift into all gears (reverse, neutral, drives, and the steering wheel will still turn the tires left or right. But it will NOT lock up the steering wheel when the key is taken out. The key though if I put the car in Drive gear will rotate completely backwards to where the accessory mode is in the beginning. I think it might be in the steering column where the housing connects to the key cylinder? Is there a fix or anyone have any ideas?

I noted my check engine light is on, and a check gage light, brake light on but goes off if I tap brake pedal, or engage and dis-engage the emergency brake, the anti theft seems to be working properly, key's were just checked last year and are good. This is perplexing, and I really don't want to change the whole steering column if it ends up being an easy fix.

Sorry to hear of your problem. I have a 00 EB v8 and have the Ford technical service manual on a CD. I took a quick look @ the steering column section and theirs a lot to it!!

Just to be clear . . . .
Obviously it does not start, does the engine turn over when you turn the key to run??

Can you shift out of park without pushing the brake pedal first?

Not knowing if you purchased this new, do you have 2 sets of keys? Are they the original ones? If so, have you compared both keys for wear?

Not sure I would rule out the anti-theft just yet. That system has been known to cause problems as well.

I know there's a really good "explorer wont start" checklist here!! I've used it myself and had to replace the fuel pump. I'm sure the cause of the steering wheel not locking when the key is removed, is in the column. The no starting may be as well or may be in the anti-theft? If you do decide to check the column yourself and need a pic & parts list (65 parts!!) lets me know & i'll try to copy & paste them to Word and send them to you by email.

L2rocku2

Sorry to hear of your problem. I have a 00 EB v8 and have the Ford technical service manual on a CD. I took a quick look @ the steering column section and theirs a lot to it!!

Just to be clear . . . .
Obviously it does not start, does the engine turn over when you turn the key to run??

Can you shift out of park without pushing the brake pedal first?

Not knowing if you purchased this new, do you have 2 sets of keys? Are they the original ones? If so, have you compared both keys for wear?

Not sure I would rule out the anti-theft just yet. That system has been known to cause problems as well.

I know there's a really good "explorer wont start" checklist here!! I've used it myself and had to replace the fuel pump. I'm sure the cause of the steering wheel not locking when the key is removed, is in the column. The no starting may be as well or may be in the anti-theft? If you do decide to check the column yourself and need a pic & parts list (65 parts!!) lets me know & i'll try to copy & paste them to Word and send them to you by email.

L2rocku2
Sorry been a hectic week, getting my 2nd car going, and working, haven't had much time to get back into my Mountaineer. Been checking out post on the internet and still nothing really informative. Of course my Mountaineer has to be the one with the opposite problem as most, (Most cars the steering is locked, and the key's stuck in the ignition).

But I really appreciate the threads Turdle and L2rocku2.

Thanks to both of you for your informative post, I looked into both of those different threads. I'm going to try and take the ignition out again myself and see if maybe a piece is broken inside even though the lock smith already tried this route. Maybe something was not obvious, and seeing the pictures at least I have some idea what it should and should not look like.

The mountaineer is still in the drive way.

Also the answers to your questions earlier L2rocku2:

1. Their is no cranking when the key is turned. Zilch~ Noda~
2. Yes, scary I can shift without touching the brake pad, all gears.
3. Yes, both keys to the car. Both ok, one re-programmed just last year because I had a fuel issue $1000.00 fix, and thought it might be the keys., paid just to be on the safe side. (they are the original keys as far as I know).

Anything you got time to shoot my way pictures, or information on the column would be greatly accepted and appreciated!

Maybe this thread will help-

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379194&highlight=ignition+switch

I also felt a slight resistance in the key lock, however, you can see it was broken.

There is a slider inside the column , the key acts as a cam to push it back and forth, which in turn slides the electrical ignition switch to the appropriate position.

Thanks Turdle for the information, their's though was the lock cylinder, I was told mine was ok, I'm going to try and take it apart again myself now that I have some better idea's of what it should and should not look like though.

I have same exact issue and haven't fixed yet. In 3rd picture from Turdle in this other thread, what is that blue clip?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379194&highlight=ignition+switch

I took my ignition out and there was a small blue plastic piece inside the chamber. Is this piece broken and the cause my car won't completely turn off and drains the battery? Parts stores all tell me dealer has to do repair.

Back