• Register Today It's free!

wont start

layz

Reaction score
City, State
hurst texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 explorer
I am having a problem with my 2005 explorer v6 4.0l. It cranks but wont start. I can hear the fuel pump coming on. There are no codes or symbols flashing on the dash at all. No theft light on. I can smell fuel when cranking on it to start it. I am thinking of the crankshaft sensor or the coil pack. Any ideas. My friend said his explorer did the same thing and the dearlership said it was his chip in the key. So he replaced the key and it worked but was wondering anything else be the problem.

I have spark coming from coilpack.

A couple of things to consider, which I had happen with my 03 4.0L with the same symptoms was the Idle Air Control Valve was sticking and gummed up with carbon residual and also the fuel pump was not providing enough pressure to send to the engine to allow it to fire.

The IAC valve is easy to locate and clean...do a search on here for that. As far as the fuel pump goes, I could hear mine engaging as well but I had to eventually break down and take it to Ford after a couple of repair shops I had it towed to could not locate the issue. They performed a fuel pressure test and found that the pump was faulty because it was not sending enough fuel to the engine, even though I also could smell fuel.

Aside from it being mechanical, it could also be an electrical issue....similar to one trying to use a bogus key to start a vehicle....which is I assume what your friend experienced. I suppose those chipped keys can go bad, but I never had experience with this. Since I had two keys to my truck, I did try them both but had the same result so I ruled out that option.

can you post a pic of where that is on your motor

Back