WoodysX

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
I bought a HU off of WoodysX, this was the description:

"Sony CDX-C7000X Head Unit
55+shipping
(Missing Remote and Wiring Harness, $10 on Ebay)"

Ok, the lack of remote and harness should have put up red flags in my head, but I bought it anyway.

When I receive the HU, it is simply that. An HU with a faceplate in a plain cardboard box. No manual, no remote, no harness, no install cage, and no face trim ring. I emailed WoodysX, and he tells me that he doesn't have the cage or trim either. His comment was simply that, "You should be able to find one, or use an existing one."

IMO, this HU is as hot as a fire cracker! For what other reason would someone have an HU with absolutely NOTHING to go with it? Anyone with bad intentions and a Sony HU Tool could own what I now own. I now have an HU that is, essentially, non-installable. These brand specific cages are hard to come by, because usually the only ones who need them are thieves.

OH WELL, live and learn................................but I can't reccomend WoodysX as a reliable seller.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear that Robb:( I have that same deck in my commuter car and I love it:D

Just wanted to bump this. My posting this thread got no response from him, and he was an active member here until a couple of days before I started this, he hasn't posted on the forums since.

Definantly someone to stay away from!!! I think I was the only one to buy any of his stolen crap, so that is good. At least he didn't sucker in a bunch of members.

Do you think you can at least find a harness for it?

robb i have a couple aftermarket stereos here if you think the cage will work for you i can give you details on what i have. oh and if it will work you can have it.

Ouch, sorry Robb. 2 Crappy HU buys!

...pokes fun at self...

Cranky, yes. I have a couple of older Sony HUs sitting around with their harnesses, which are identical to the one I need. So that part is covered.

Alec, yea. I am not having much luck with used HUs.:(

RedRig, that would be great if you could take a look for me. The thing is, I haven't figured out exactly how the cage would attach to this thing.:confused: I can't find any notches or anything on the top, bottom, or sides that would grab a cage. Maybe someone here with a newer style Sony could chime in with how the cage attaches.;) If you have something that looks like it may work, please let me know! Thanks!
8799sonyhutop.jpg

8799sonyhuside-med.jpg

The cage on the left is older-style Sony and the one on the right is newer Aiwa. Neither will work.
8799hucages.jpg

Robb, you are missing the "retaining bracket" for the cage. I have a Sony H/U and I took a look at it. My face plate looks different than yours but everything else looks identical. There are retaining brackets which screws onto both sides of the the H/U.

I don't have a digicam but I used my scanner to capture an image of it .

I don't know how to attach more than one image into a post so I'll have 3 posts with a photo.

This is the retaing bracket and the screw.

Attachments

• sony-clip-1.jpg
    sony-clip-1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 213

The screw mount to the hole at the red arrow. On my head unit it is marked with the letter N.

Attachments

• robbs_radio2.jpg
    robbs_radio2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 200

And this is sort of what it looks like when attached.

Attachments

• robbs_radio.jpg
    robbs_radio.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 210

MontanaGT, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE INFO!!!!!! That makes much more sense. I knew there had to be something for the cage to clamp to, and that would be it. I can't thank you enough for going through the trouble of getting those pics! :)

Hey look, something else I didn't get with this POS!:rolleyes:

Most of the Sony HU's I see don't even have a trim ring, and jeez... how hard is it to steal a rie harness as well? A few snips and you're off....

*I've never stolen anything but an Autotrader when I was 7, b/c I thought it was free. I had to return it.

-Justin

Speaking of Sony HU's... I lost the trim ring to mine. Doeas anyone know where i would be able to find one? It's an older model... cdx-l350 maybe?

Robb, no problem. It actually took me a minute to figure out how to separate the radio from the cage. I looked all around the radio and couldn't find anything holding them together, I figured there must be a trick. The only part of the bracket showing when installed is the very tip of the middle leg. I pushed the little tabs in and Voila, they easily slide apart. It is like a spring type retainer.

And, my cage looks very different from your "old" Sony cage. From the side view, there is only one of those tab things. The:
_
| \ looking things, and it is near the back. The only only other holes on the side are three screw size holes in the same area as yours.

I hope everything works out.

ok i have 2 exactly alike. its from a pioneer so i dont know if it will work but if it will or you can make it work its all yours.

Attachments

• aug25352.jpg
    aug25352.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 178

top view

Attachments

• aug25353.jpg
    aug25353.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 178

Back