Worklog: 7 beats 3... NOT as cool as typhoons | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Worklog: 7 beats 3... NOT as cool as typhoons

expo5.0 said:
just say screw it, if someone is already in your truck let them have it. chances are if they are in there and they can't get it out their gonna f it up.

would you rather go to insurance and whine that someone broke in and scratched my custom paint, and dented my cone or go in there and say someone stole my system?

its like when i used to work at best buy, they build their stores so that if they catch fire they burn to the ground and they walk away with the insurance money and start over. Just think of the mess you'll have if someone is in there and can't get it all?

That is pretty much what I had been thinking. If someone did steal all my subs, I could get more $$ from insurence company then I paid for them. But all that aside, if someone really wanted the box that bad, nothing would stop them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great work man I know exatly what you mean by getting it smooth and formed right as I am doing that right now also. Funny how the glassing is a breeze huh. It takes a long ass time all I can say is just take your time and do it in sections. You will feel better if you see some progress coming than just one big mess. Doing this in a parking lot WOW i commend you on getting the job done where ever you can.

Soo..... I decided to bring all my audio equipment I had just sitting in my explorer into my dorm room because my friends civic got broken into AGAIN (twice in a month). So while I was at it, I opened up the amp I got off eBay "as-is"... This thing is a disaster. Here are the carnage pictures. I'm bringing it to get it repaired this weekend(extended warrenty on my other amp of same model)... so everything will be bumping next weekend, not this weekend (hopefully).

here are the pictures... if you look closely, all the capacitators are oozing, and the 4 in the middle completely blew their tops... literally. It splattered all over the box...

10058100_3218_Medium_.JPG

10058100_3213_Medium_.JPG

10058100_3208_Medium_.JPG

10058100_3208_Medium_2.JPG

10058100_3207_Medium_.JPG

10058100_3206_Medium_.JPG

10058100_3206_Medium_2.JPG

10058100_3205_Medium_.JPG

Here you can see the board is actually CRACKED.
10058100_3205_Medium_2.JPG

10058100_3213_Medium_1.JPG

10058100_3215_Medium_.JPG

10058100_3216_Medium_.JPG

10058100_3217_Medium_.JPG

Oh yea, not to mention that the amp had 30 amp fuses in it when I got it... and it is rated for 25amp fuses...

ugh, thats pretty gross dude... i hope you didnt spend much on that.

jesus dude..id be off to ebay getting that dudes ass nailed =)

good to hear ur getting it fixed though

So I dropped the amp off at Circuit City w/ the SN plate swapped from my other amp which I had bought the extended warrenty for....

The lady behind the desk was a complete B#$)(@ to me. First I had to talk to the manager of the store because they said they didn't have me on file as having bought a warrenty for the amp, or having bought the amp. I finially walked around the desk and looked at the screen. Of course it wasn't listed as an 'Amp' - it was listed as 'GM-X962' - the model. They didn't even notice this. Idiots...

I told her it 'stopped working one day'. She didn't want to honor the warrenty becuase I had told her I opened up the back when it blew to see if there were any fuses on the inside (coughBScough). I played stupid and said I had no clue what everything was, I just saw a lot of burn marks on the inside. She bought it.

So, after they 'repair' it, I should have a brand spanking new amp. 5-10 days she said...

As for the box, I've given up on making it look good for now. Next weekend I'm going to finish the amp rack, then hopefully get all the subs in.

If anyone has anything to make rubber gaskets out of to put around the subs, let me know.

just use the foam insulation tape..its kinda thin and it should be like 2" thick just run that all the way around the rings and itl seal perfecty..if u do it right u cant even see it when the sub is in

i wanna say good job actually planning things out, not many people take pride in their work anymore...

cant wait to see how it comes out! I'll create a worklog when i get started

I don't know if Circuit City is going to believe your story. It's pretty far fetched that an amp would get that much damage after a few days of use.

yea, and its open... dont they not take it if the seal is broken off the side (ya know that sticker)

why wouldnt it get that much damage? once something like that starts it just cascades from there...like one thing will over heat and melt down causing other things to short out..im sure the dude that was running the amp before keeped over heating it and just caused that massive melt down...i wish i could have seen it =)

Hartman said:
I don't know if Circuit City is going to believe your story. It's pretty far fetched that an amp would get that much damage after a few days of use.

I'm sure they get wackier returns then mine, and I bought that amp over a year ago. Luckily there is no quality seal on it. You can get anyone to believe anything... either play stupid or play like you know everything, depending on the situation.

As far as planning it out... I definetly could have planned a lot better. There is always next time =P

This weekend all my wire and speaker terminals will be in. I hope to have it alllllllmost done (I'll be missing one amp...) by saturday afternoon.

Is it bad to connect the two right channels from two amps together? It will then branch off to power the two right side subs in parallel. It can handle the load, I'm just asking if it is bad to connect the wires together since it will be from two different amps (same type).

Got some goodies in today...

three 4g in, four 8g out. Distrobution block.
f8_1_b.jpg

4 terminal speaker terminal.
260-313m.jpg

what ya wiring with? (what company)

brandonloserkid said:
what ya wiring with? (what company)

two 4g Monster wires from the battery, the 8g wire is Stinger Pro Series which will go from the block to the amps. Over the summer, depending what the power situation on this thing is, I'll probably add another 4g wire, better alternator, spare battery, and maybe a cap. We'll see.

im not 100% sure..but i dont think u should connect the pos from 2 amps together...that might be one of those no no type things

i think i speak for everyone when i say

MORE BOX PICS MORE BOX PICS!!!

brandonloserkid said:
i think i speak for everyone when i say

MORE BOX PICS MORE BOX PICS!!!

Well, I can only work on my box Fri-Sun because my truck is over 1mile away and I can only park it close to my dorm building during the weekends. Also, the way my classes are setup, I'd have to be out there early in the morning or late late at night. Since I have to do all my work in a parking lot, being out there late at night isn't that inviting of an idea (not to mention the 1 mile hike).

Trust me, if I could have access to it everyday, it would be done by now =P

Friday, I hope to have all the wiring in place, the amp rack done, one amp mounted, and maybe the subs in. Soooo, expect a ton of pictures on Friday =). The top 3 subs should also be working by then, the side subs will be powered up as soon as my 3rd amp finishes it's time in the shop.

The box isn't done looks wise, but with VA Tech's car show in two weeks; it's more important to me to have a working box then a good looking one.

If you're anxious for pics, think about me... I've had 7 subs and 3 amps sitting in my dorm room for 2 weeks or so now... I get anxious to see my box everytime I come in the door and see the equipment. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

hehe, i know what you mean, i have only a little bit of wiring and dampening, not enough to run it yet, so im anxious just to start...

ever since 5.0 said what he said, im nervous, hes right how do i make it one of a kind, its hard to do with all the incredible work that goes into show cars now-a-days, but im trying not to worry until the design comes into play more...

the answer is to do something different...

i'm sure you can think of something, for me the answer is to have the a/v system which i admit is gonna be very, very large but its still the same as everyone else, but then to also have the muscle style raked stance and hot rod horse power all in a daily driver. Needless to say my next project is going back into my already modded 5.0 or going with a larger motor.

i know others have gone the same route, but ever seen an explorer that looks like mine? i know others have copied my rims since i got em (and obviously the saleens have them too- just in wimpy narrow sizes)

I guess the things that i would reassess if i were you would be the 7" screens (they just don't belong in a show truck as primary screens), and with trying to bag it on big rims (there will always be someone lower with bigger rims- why not find something a little different that just fits right. check out blackmagics, or my truck, neither are down that low at all, but the stance just looks right. not saying not to bags, i probably will fully bag it myself in the future, just that you need to realize that the bags aren't gonna really set you apart)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ooh yeah, also are you sure you want to glass teh dash? i vote for keeping the airbags functional as much as possible and you can't really make it look that great while keeping them functional

Back