Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Would a big 'ole 'tenner really improve my reception here?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by Hokie, October 28, 2003.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '98 TJ Sport
    Here's my current setup. I have a 1/4" thick bracket made that mounts to my bumper and my antenna is the same height as my rear bumper. I have a 4' K40 Superflex whip and the reception is ok. Obviously, most of the antenna is hidden by my truck, so I was wondering, would it be worth it to get a 7' whip (thus increasing the amount of whip sticking out above my truck). The mount is definately sturdy enough, and I'm considering a good 'ole 102" billy boy metal antenna. I guess I could always put my 4' K40 back on for trail use if the antenna slapping the truck would be a problem. I just want the best possible reception on the highway and antennas are pretty cheap (7' tuneable firestick = $25 + shipping).

Here's a pic of my approx antenna height

Attached Files:

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    '98 TJ Sport
    And here's how much extension I think I could get with a longer whip (trying to maximize the exposure above the truck)

Attached Files:

4. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    '98 TJ Sport
    I'm considering the Firestick KW 7'

5. CarFreak146

CarFreak146 Active Member

City, State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    '94 Explorer XLT
    not sure, I'm looking for a 10'. But just remember this, for best possible reception with a CB or anything really, you need to have 3/4 of the length ABOVE the highest point of your vehicle.

6. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    '98 TJ Sport
    Meaning my best bet would be get a 2nd coax, drill a hole in my roof and mount it there. And have it on the roof for highway, down low for trail...

7. GaSouthern1

GaSouthern1 Elite LS2 -

City, State:
    Duluth, Ga
    2005 GTO
    Why not put the antenna that you have on the roof and when you go on a trail Zip Tie it to the roof rack, that way it wont hit on trees and stuff.

8. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    '98 TJ Sport
    If i do this setup, how would having a y adapter with 2 coax's running off of it but only 1 antenna mounted affect my reception? I know the cable itself is crucial to the whole setup, and i would have a empty cable just sitting there plugged in. It would just be easier to have both cables run into a T connector at the CB and move the antenna than it would be to move the antenna + unscrew/screw the cable

9. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    '98 TJ Sport
    B/c I just made a sweet antenna mount 2 weekends ago :( I guess I could find a home for it on the board... someone would want it.

And when I put skis on the roof, i'd like having the option of putting the antenna lower.

10. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Dana Point, CA
    '93 XLT
    Yes!

11. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    '98 TJ Sport
    Haha.. sweet

12. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Houston, Texas
    2008 JK
    I'd keep the bumper mount and get a longer antenna so the end is at least 2' above the roof rack.

But I would also tether the middle of the antenna loosely to the rack so it doesn't whip too much and hurt someone. You only need this if it is a really flexible steel whip, not if it's glass.

13. Doug

Doug I'm Awesome! Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Sykesville, MD
    You're going to see the best improvement by mounting the antenna on the roof. the higher up it is the better it will operate. the roof acts as what's called a ground plane and will allow the radio to operate more efficently. As for installing a t to move it from location to location is not a good idea, you're loose power out of that connector, and any splice in the coax from the antenna to the radio will reduce performance.

14. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    '98 TJ Sport
    yeah, i'm thinking my best setup would to run the antenna on the roof and have the ability to lower it down if needs be.

So the question still remails about having 2 antenna cables hooked up to the cb, but only having an antenna hooked up to one of em, would that screw things up (like show a lower impedance since technically they are in parallel?)

15. CarFreak146

City, State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    '94 Explorer XLT
    what about running two seperate cables and then just plug the one you are using into the back of the cb, and leave the one you are not using laying behind the cb.

16. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    '98 TJ Sport
    I could do that.... simplicity would be not having to swap em.. but alas, you can't always get what you want

17. CarFreak146

City, State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    '94 Explorer XLT
    all you would have to do is get a 90 degree adapter and put on the back of the cb, so its easier to get to when you change them out.

18. standingbear73

standingbear73 New Member

City, State:
    Kalamazoo, MI
    2000 LTD
    Choosing a location or proper antenna is the easy part. Getting rid of the fuel pump noise on the receive so you can hear people is when the fun really begins.

Have fun! I'm still working on my X.

19. Doug

Doug I'm Awesome! Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Sykesville, MD
    hook the radio right to the battery, that shousl help cut down on the noise. Hokie check out www.copperelectronics.com they have antenna switches. you could rig it up so all you have to do is flip a switch for different coax leads and that should make it alot easier for you.

20. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    '98 TJ Sport
    Yeah, those switches look pretty cool. I guess I'm lucky, I have never had any fuel pump noise and my radio isn't hooked directly to the battery either.

21. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    '98 TJ Sport
    Ok, i'm ditching that whole moving the antenna back and forth idea.. Its one or the other... so my question (Mr. Hutchinson or whoever) is:

I will either permanent mount my 4' k40 on the roof, or I will get a 7-8' glass whip and mount it bumper level.

Right now I'm leaning towards the bumper level b/c I can still get into a garage by tying it to the roof rack.

Which action will increase my reception more, a 4' on the roof or 7-8' at the bumper?

I didn't know that ground planes were as big of a deal for low powered radios (CB's). When doing UHF/VHF/low band police/emergency installs (I have 3 years in the communications installation biz), we only had problems with ground planes on 100W low band radios. Heck, most the time with CB's, we would just mount the antenna and call it a day since my boss didn't want me to mess with tuning them.

Thanks y'all! :chug: