1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Would a big 'ole 'tenner really improve my reception here?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by Hokie, October 28, 2003.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Dana Point, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '93 XLT
    Antenna locations

Hokie,

Without a doubt. the center roof area is the best antenna location for just about any radio that transmits. True, the higher the frequency, the more "fussy" antennas and radios tend to be, so it is somewhat more important for the vhf/uhf stuff. Also, for optimum operation, ground planes only need to be 1/4 wavelength in every horizontal direction from the base of the antenna, so for 150 mHz vhf stuff , that's only about 18". For 460 mHz uhf it's only 6", 850 mhz (cell phone etc, ) 3". so it's not too hard to get that. Now, for 27 mHz cb, 1/4 wave is close to 9 FEET. This is why for optimum transmission on CB, locating the antenna on the back corner only gives this 9' in the forward direction, making the antenna pretty directional. If you've checked some of the other threads about antennas here on the forum, you'll see that all antennas are compromises of one sort or another. Many things will work, it's just a matter of how well you want it to work. On every trail run I've been on, there's always a few folks complaining that they can't hear or be heard very far away. In a significant amount of these instances, I can trace their problem to a poor antenna, poor antenna location, or both. Apparently your boss didn't feel that your agency or customers needed optimum performance from their CB's. Remember, were talking about best performance, not working vs not working.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    '98 TJ Sport
    My current plan is to get a 57" K40 bottom loaded steel antenna and mount it smack dab in the center of my roof. The whip is removable with a 1/4 turn so it'll cure all of my location problems around town.

Thanks for everyone's input!

4. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
    Denver, CO
    '98 TJ Sport
    Change of plans... I now am on my 3rd antenna location since May ;)

I have my antenna on the roofrack on the passenger's side rear corner of the truck. I made a mount that bolts to the roof rack and ran a ground point to the body so the shielding is fully grounded. Sitting at my apartment with the antenna untuned, I was able to pick up the interstate a good bit away :-D

I ordered one of these Valor EZ Over mounts last night along with a medium duty spring. The mount looks pretty cool and should solve my "antenna on the roof ~ not being able to fit in parking garages" problem.

Here are some pics of the mount being used on a TJ

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for everyone's input!