would i suck if?

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
i put mechanical nitrous pressure, and fuel pressure gauges in my wiper cowl as subtly as possible? provided that i get a 3 ton truck into the 14s along with it?

here is a picture of where i'd probably put them, let mw know what you think.

btw- so you know- the electrical gauges are like $350 more for the two than the machanical ones. also NHRA rules state that putting the mechanical ones inside is no good. I'd sort of feel in danger with them inside and like a poser since its "against the rules" or what not.

Attachments

• gauges.JPG
    gauges.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 497

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why can't they be inside? I've seen some cars with them outside, but strictly track cars only. On a DD I'd be nervous about vandalism.

heh, vandalism is the least of my issues. or should i say the gauges would be the last of the vandals issues. there is plenty of other crap they can go after.

shouldn't be inside due to some degree of danger of failure.

disregard this whole thread.

i came up with a different idea that is too crazy and unique to post about.

expo5.0 said:
disregard this whole thread.

i came up with a different idea that is too crazy and unique to post about.

uh oh :) well you better post pics when this gets done ;)

i will

it would only suck if it was for show only and that if one day driving it sprung a leak on your hood.

very true

heck i'll try to describe the plan the way it sets now (since you posted an i value your opinion)

i'm going to be re-bracketing my rear bucket seat conversion. It will be built such that underneath the seat is actually a welded steel box that is bolted to the floor. the seat will actually be bolted or welded onto the top lid of one of the rear seats (probably passenger side). This top lid will be hinged and will lock down with a hood latch type mechanism that can only be released from a secret point elsewhere in the car. that way no unauthorized person would ever know there was a compartment there. I will place my polished 5 lb bottle in there (sadly there really isn't room for a 10 lb anywhere in my truck with the stereo the way it is now) along with the 2 5/8 size nos nitrous pressure gauge, and possibly a fuel pressure gauge (i'm not sure just which gauges are most important, or if i need a fuel pressure gauge- since if it goes won't i already be screwed? even if i can see the reason). i will also have remote bottle opener, bottle heater etc. inside the box.

i will then run one of the small eigervision pedastal mount cameras inside that box with back lighting such that it will pick up the gauges and as much of the polished bottle as possible. I've played with the cameras enough to know that this will definitely work.

what this will mean in my truck is that i will be able to flip a single switch to arm the system, switch my flip-chip to nitrous mode, and turn the lights on inside the "nitrous box" under the seat. the cameras image can then be displayed on any one of my screens through the use of my video switcher. so my gauges will essentially be my 11" lcd in dash.

this will allow me to use the cheaper non-electrical gauge, keep the system extremely hidden unless i want to show it off (and i will) etc. etc.

also, talk about ultimately owning someone when i 1. beat them in a 5500 lb truck 2. that truck has 5 screens and a 150 db stereo 3. the rear 23" lcd screen shows an image of a nitrous bottle, my gauges, and the word OWNED scrawled behind them on the wall of the box... or maybe an image of a nitrous bottle in the jungle with a rubber cobra snake... lol- i'm just kidding. but still just imagine the confusion that kind of set-up will cause people, and the impression it will make.

still laughing from the "owned" part... thats awesome!

Darnit your stereo will be faster than mine :p

I was just thinking. If you still have the spare tire and wouldn't mind loosing it you could open up quite abit of space for bigger bottle, i don't know how big the bottles are but I wouldn't think they're as big as a tire. You could easily build an enclosure to keep the bottle safe and away from the elements. With a remote bottle opener you'd really only have to worry about going back there until you needed a refil. Just a thought

cp

that used to be the plan last week. good thinking though, i just decided this one was probably better.

What about a carputer and you had everything displayed on the screen including all of your needed gauges.

that would cost a crapload. just the senders for the nitrous pressure gauge is like $150, and then i'd need them for all of my gauges. well that and i hate computers.

Holy good lord you have devised one hell of a plan!!

Come one, computers aren't that bad!!! Ok, yes they are and I want to burn all of them, but thats a different story.

it just keeps growing now too, i'm up to a total budget of 2300 or unless i can get really good deals on everything. should make mad power though for that much.

Back