1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Would it be great if

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Turdle, July 27, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Turdle

Turdle Freelance Stuntman Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 Mounty
    You pull up to the gas pump and hear a ding ding. A young man runs up to you car and asks " can I help you sir?"

You say "fill er up Mac"(even if his name is Steve you call him Mac because it's the thing to do)
    He says" Do you want Ethyl?" and you think wow, regular is 21 cent per gallon, ethyl is 22 cents, for 20 cents I can feel the power of ethyl and say " yeah go ahead"

You hear your license plate flip down, because these are the days of cool cars and we can't have the body lines messed up by a stupid gas door, so they are hidden behind lights and license plates. The nozzle goes in and just when the flow starts he is back at your window to ask " mind if I check under the hood?"
    He pops the hood himself, because that is the way it should be, from outside the car. Don't need no 25.00 cable to ruin his day do we?

Your belts look good, the battery level is ok, but your oil is about a quart low he says.

"Of course" you say, because these kind of cars need love, and burn it about every 1000 miles. "Please but in a can of 10-30"

He grabs a can--yes, a can of oil and pierces it with a metal funnel apparatus too complicated for most young folks these days to figure out, dumps the oil in the car and before you know it starts washing the windshield leaving not one streak. Just about then the gas nozzle pops off.
    Ok, 20 gallons and a quart of oil, that will be 5 dollars even. You give the guy 5 dollars and a fifty cent piece, and he thanks you, almost begging you to come back next time.

Anyone here remember this? It used to be the normal way to get gas. Hardly anyone needed to look under their hood, as problems were usually caught right away by trust able folk, who could lead you to the right repairs if necessary.
    Yours truly even worked over a year while I was a teenager filling gas--checking oil, running around like a rabbit trying to take care of about 4 cars at a time.

Things have sure changed. People got cheap and for a mere pennies per gallon put the "full service" station out of business. I don't know of any around these days.

But most people still do not look under their hoods it seems.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Tbars4

Tbars4 Moderator Emeritus Elite In Memoriam

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ...Back when a kid would lay in the back dash hollering out the cheapest gas prices as there was a "Gas War" going on so gas prices plummeted or when a pair of panty hose was an emergency repair for any broken belt?

..Way, way, before my time..;)

..But I saw a commercial about them old time "Full Serve Filling Stations" recently..:D

4. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    Hey! We still have a full service station here in GR... Check out the photos for a pic of that pesky metal oil can nozzle... ;)

Don's BP

5. YBCold

YBCold Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Las Vegas NV
    91 ×∟┬
    still happens at pemex in Mexico. but pemex gas sucks. but they still check ur engine and load your gas for you though and clean ur windows u just tip them like a dollar if ur not an a$$hole

6. techieman33

techieman33 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Topeka, KS
    00 V8 Mountaineer
    Go to New Jersey, your not even allowed to pump your own gas. We still have a couple here that do full service though.

7. lynchy wa

lynchy wa Down Under Beer Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Albany, Western Australia
    2008 ford falcon XR8 ute
    Remember being able to get a gallon or two from the change under the seat's.

8. Flounder

Flounder Owns 10,000 Marbles Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Pennsylvania
    '08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
    It's a joke, but it's cheaper than across the Ben Franklin.

9. sodjer6

sodjer6 Active Member

City, State:
    Lincoln, NE
    '96 Sport/'04 XLT
    Only 2 Full Service stations left in town, of course a full tank and a quart of oil is going to run you closer to $55 these days...

But I do remember being able to fill up my '77 Impala(once a week), grab a soda and a snack, and get enough change back from a $20 bill for lunch that day :thumbsup:

10. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    It's sad when you walk into a gas station and ask the kid behind the counter where you can find AIR for your tires, and they say.......

"It might be on the shelf somewhere." :crazy:

11. FLOffroad

FLOffroad Active Member

City, State:
    Wasatch, Utah
    Forester; 08 ST sold :(
    That's pretty bad gman. I know there are still full service stations here and there around the US - they're kind of like general stores (not common, but they're out there). Personally, I like doing the stuff myself. In modern times, the people who would fill up your tank would probably end up dripping petrol on the car and making up things to sell you for your engine. Times have changed and there's really no way of going back.

BTW - I prefer our modern hoods that one must unlock from the inside because otherwise there would be tons of people running around stealing car batteries and engine mods.