Would LED CREE bulbs improve the back-up lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would LED CREE bulbs improve the back-up lights?

drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
Would LED CREE bulbs improve the back-up lights in my 2005 Explorer? I find the stock lights to be barely adequate for backing up. I recall seeing a post where a member added an LED off road lamp near the hitch but would some of the newer 3156 CREEs in the stock housing be any good?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a pair of cheap LED towers for my reverse lights and it helped a ton. Several of my friends have them in their trucks as well. I don't have any experience with the cree LEDs though.

05E-22715FBAEADE-5304-000007B613A1DB5F_zps87f440fc.jpg

Got a set of 20w led bulbs in my back up's, night and day difference, I can now see! I only paid 10 or 12$ for the pair on ebay, came in about 3 days, best upgrade for the explorer!

Thanks for the replies, very helpful! I am going to look for some and try them out.

Anyone put these in an '04+ Explorer. I've read some footnotes on some bulbs that state they don't work with CAN-Bus systems.

It's sad when brake lights do more to provide light than reverse lights.

Anyone put these in an '04+ Explorer. I've read some footnotes on some bulbs that state they don't work with CAN-Bus systems.

It's sad when brake lights do more to provide light than reverse lights.

Got em on my 04 no problems, even on my old 02 I used to have, they are plug and play, only thing that needs load resistors are the 2 front turn signals and rear tail lights, I'm almost done converting all my lights to led, i just need my flood lights, tail lights, 3rd brake light, blinkers, and my gauges!

I'm going to give these a try. I never liked how almost every vehicle I drive in reverse has poor reverse lighting.

Can these possibly cause any adverse effects on my 2005 Explorer?

Stay away from the chinese junk and get these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MC6H0AI/

No, on reverse lights they will not affect anything.

Turn/Brake lights are a different story. Not worth messing with them in my experience.

A big reason the reverse lights seem so dim is the rear window is tinted very dark. My rear view camera can see just fine with regular bulbs.

Turn/Brake lights are a different story. Not worth messing with them in my experience.

A big reason the reverse lights seem so dim is the rear window is tinted very dark. My rear view camera can see just fine with regular bulbs.

Thanks for the link.

That makes sense with the rear window tint. I can see a lot better backing up at night with the side mirrors than through the rear view or rear glass.

Those bulb's are also chinese but a higher quality, I got some that were made in the usa for 10$ when I had my 02 4.0 and they were on there for 4+ years, they outlasted the vehicle. I also had led taillight bulb's, basically had a full led swap done on it for less then 100$ way brighter over stock, outlasted the vehicle, never had a issue with them, IMO it was one of the best upgrades I did. the ones o just put a few months ago on my 04 are stupid bright, i could not even see anything with the stock bulbs, as soon as i put in the leds it was a night and day difference!

Good info everyone. I have some 800 lumen bulbs on order and I will post up once I install them. Thanks again for all the replies.

I put in some 33 SMD LED bulbs (not projectors) and it made a nice improvement. I can see a lot better now. My main concern was when the snow hits you don't want to mess up when backing up in bad conditions.

I put in some 33 SMD LED bulbs (not projectors) and it made a nice improvement. I can see a lot better now. My main concern was when the snow hits you don't want to mess up when backing up in bad conditions.

Glad to hear the L.E.D bulbs are working out for ya! :D

Add a rear view camera. :D

My head unit is rear camera compatible, I should go ahead and get one, thanks for the reminder TechGuru! Have you any further advice on that matter such as cable routing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My head unit is rear camera compatible, I should go ahead and get one, thanks for the reminder TechGuru! Have you any further advice on that matter such as cable routing?

I just did this with a Peak PKC0BU4. You can see my review at Amazon, gave it 3 stars.
It's wireless and I got it for $49.

One day, when I upgrade my stereo, I'll get a better camera that isn't wireless.

Need to do a write up I suppose. You need to remove the interior panels on the rear hatch as well as the plastic piece on the outside that covers the license plate light.

You can run the camera wire in through the license plate lights wiring boot.
Then it goes up the main hatch door and into the cabin via the hatch wiring boot. From there, I'd run it down and along the edge of the floor where other wiring runs.

Back