• Register Today It's free!

Would you recommend an 02?

jd92887

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT - 1993 XLT
I am loOking at a 2002 Xlt, it has the third row, 4x4 and the v6.
The fender needs to be painted, needs new plastic bumper, and the trim on both fenders doesn't match the rest of the car, it has 141000 miles
They're asking 3500, it's a small dealership in town.

What do you guys think? Anything I should look for when I test drive?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

02's are selling around KC (nice ones with comparable mileage) for around 5-6K. I have the V8 in mine so can't comment on the V6. Sounds like it has been rode hard. For 2k might be worth it. Is it 4x4? Yes of course it is. Get my glasses.

They probably won't take 2000, maybe 3000

There are problematic to say the least but that seems pretty cheap for 4x4.

The price seems good on the surface but there might be hidden major costs lurking. With that many miles the things to look, or listen, for is timing chain guide noise (especially on V-6 engines), transmission shifts being smooth and precise, wheel bearing noises or a grinding feel coming through the steering wheel etc. Knowing if the transmission has recently been rebuilt and the engine oil changed regularly are two items I would really want to know. If the transmission has been rebuilt recently by a reputable shop then that is a HUGE plus. Don't just go on a person's word. Have them provide verification like a bill of sale etc. Oil change records are kept by Jiffy Lube, Valvolive Quicklube places if the previous owner used them for maintenance.

I just recently had to replace my 03 Mountaineer and decided to pay more for a low mileage (49k) 02 Explorer than a higher mileage newer one. If you buy this one at least you have some money left on the table for a tranny rebuild etc., if needed. However, if it needs a tranny rebuild, timing chain guides, wheel bearing replacement, ball joints etc. then you will find in short order that you overpaid unless you do the work yourself. As a haggling point with the dealer check to see if the rubber boots are intact on the upper ball joints. They are easy to see by looking inside the wheel wells over the top of the tires. If they aren't then use them to talk down the sales price as they will need to be replaced at some point.

Thanks a lot will check those things

Hey JD. There's a similar current post a few up from this one. A lot of great observations. I own an 02' V6 and I am very vocal that this really hasn't been a very good vehicle. I've owned it since it was almost brand new. I've treated this thing like it was a 'concours' collector and this thing has done nothing but let me down and cost me BIG money.

I must say that I've loved the way this thing drives...like others who have commented...it drives like a dream. Smoothe and solid. Unfortunately, I just don't think I would have gone through the hassle that I went through by owning this vehicle. I'm personally looking at replacing my 02 with an earlier body style Explorer with the 5.0 liter. Looking back at it, I wish I had done that to begin with...

I've only owned mine since October but have put about 3,000 miles on it so far, all in town. Bought it at Atchley Ford in Omaha with 144k miles. It's on it's third transmission according to the CarFAX report, with the last one done about 20k miles ago. They fixed a CEL that turned out to be a sensor and also the ABS light which also turned out to also be a sensor. They replaced the rear brake pads at the same time. Probably will need fronts sometime soon. And possibly front rotors.

But it rides great, solid, quiet and the 4x4 is a dream. First one I've owned and probably won't be without 4x4 again. Everything works just fine on the vehicle, no strange noises under the hood, transmission shifts just fine. I would do it all over again.

I do want to get one of those OBDII plug in dash mount monitors where I can watch the transmission temp, as well as other sensor read outs in real time. I would like to try towing the boat with it but not until I can read what the transmission is doing, temperature wise.

Now watch, tomorrow the tranny will crap the bed and the timing chains will both whip out of the hood.:D

If you can keep reading on this forum, you'll find plenty of info on what to look for on the one you're interested in. The price you quote seems pretty low so I'd be looking very hard at all the mechanicals.

Good luck!

A lot of guys may not like what I am about to say but IMO the hole 02 to 05 year rang is truble don't get me wrong they are nice and I really like the SUV's as far as driving them but they don't last and seem to be nothing but problems.

That is actually really hard for me to say as I have been a ford lover all my life but these trucks can put that love to the test.

I cant speek for the 06 and up but I have had a 02 (145K) that I just sold I still have a 04 (96K) that I am thinking of selling and killed a 97 (179k) guess wich one was the most truble free. yep the one that was the oldest and closest to 200K I mean it is sad when you are thinking of tradeing your newer lower miles beautiful SUV for a older probably higher miles one. :(

Oh also I sold the engine trans and transfer case out of that 97 and last I heard even aftter the hard hits the truck took they are all still going strong.

i have had mine since 06 and now have 130k on it. i have put two transmissions in it $3000.00 each, one rear end 1700.00, and three wheel bearings 500.00 for all. i assume the transfer case is next. but on the plus side it still get 15-20mpg and the engine is super strong. i would really see if you have the money to replace stuff while owning it. i am a ford family guy for 13 years but i would still recommend saving your money, if you really want a suv get a toyota 4 runner for the same price. just my opinion

sean

CARFAX! check to see just how much that vehicle has gone through. if you know how to fix cars and trucks, and can do the labor yourself in terms of body work and anything else you might find wrong, and you can get it for a lot cheaper than 3500, if all those things you checked yes under, than id say go for it. ask 2500 for it if you plan to move forward with it, and maybe you and the dealer can meet a happy medium right under 2000. but make sure you are willing and able to put in work because it sounds like that X is going to need it. if not, then invest more and get one in better shape with less miles.

Back