• Register Today It's free!

wrecked explorer need advice

projectBlack

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer 4x4 5speed
hey everyone i had an accident, and well the insurance wants to total it saying its only woth 18oo but i had just painted it, and it had a new transmission in it. need some advice should i buy it back? should i take the 18oo and cut my losses? how much could i get parting it out? what is the most i should pay to buy it back?

100_0643.jpg

13rollover.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like you rolled it !! find out how much damage there is, if you can restore it to a good toy, do it for 1800 or less ! Junkyard panels and body pieces are dirt cheap.

yeah i kinda just fell onto one side. the whole passenger side is pretty bad, you cannot open any doors, and my system tried to exit the vehicle so that busted the back side glass. and it crinkled the a-pillar and roof in the pass. corner

You can buy another one for less than $1800. I think it will cost more than that to fix this one. Plus, you will be forced to accept a salvage title which will lower the resale value after it's fixed.

Try and get more money from the insurance. They always lowball. Then take your cash to craigslist and get another.

I wrecked a 2wd Explorer, and did the buyback. I got 1700 when I kept the truck, and it was NOT in good shape. I used the cash to build my 4x4, and use parts off the 2wd. Parts aint cheap!

See what they'll give you when you keep the truck, you might find a nice explorer with a bad tranny for a steal. (I couldn't reuse my tranny however, being a 2wd of course)

Get the check from them.. The windshield header is damaged and there is no way you'll get a good seal even with tons of windshield adhesive around the channel

Take the $. I'm surprised you had full coverage on it. Must have been cheap. The cost of it for me is insane so I just have basic liability.

Depends on the insurance. If it's Allstate or State Farm, you might want to just take the check, otherwise they WILL screw you out of every dime and will do illegal things to make sure they pay as little as possible or nothing at all.

If it's a decent insurer, and you have receipts and proof of the cost of things like the paint and transmission, they will add those things into their quote.

As stated already, I wouldn't suggest buying it back either, unless you can get it for a few hundred and only want it as a beater trail rig.

I'd say try to get the rear bumper, and maybe the wheels/tires and shackles, though. Maybe pull the system out too. It'd be nice if you could get the transmission to sell, but that might be hard to do.

Seems like i was Mostly Right , Try and Get The Best Amount of Cash And Buy it back and Then Get rid Of it to me ! Good Luck Either Way Mike , And Yes I Want The Front , If Possible The Back Also !!

workin on it bruce. i am seem to get the run around from geico though, they keep saying that they are going to have this person call, and when i dont hear from them i call back and they send me to random dept's i am getting tired of the run around just want to know what is going on with my ex.

Back