Wrench light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wrench light

bobtylerjr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 2007 Eddie Bauer, 4X4 w/ 5R55S transmission. About two weeks ago I changed the fluid and filter following the occasional illumination of the wrench light on the instrument cluster. No obvious problems but at 119,000 I figured it was due and thought changing the fluid could be connected to the wrench light illuminating.

Today, the wrench light illuminated once again. Everything seemed to be working fine except I noticed I could not engage the Overdrive when I pressed the button on the side of the shift knob in the center console area. Once i got home, I shut down, had lunch, and when I restarted the engine to return to the office, everything was back to normal. I am going to replace the TPS this afternoon but curious if anyone has additional thoughts on what the problem could be?

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

V6 im guessing? Your servo bores are probably shot if it wont go into OD. What did you use for fluid on your change? Did you flush it?

V6. I used Castrol Mercon V. I lowered the pan, removed old filter, installed new filter, reinstalled pan, added Castrol Mercon V

So far the problem is intermittent Maybe once a week or once every two weeks

If it has the right amount of fluid its probably the servo bores. Could check out the O-ring modded Pistons, other option is dropping the transmission and having sleeves installed.

Get it scanned. Stop throwing parts at it and get a proper diagnosis. Need to have it driven on a live data stream and see what being commanded or not commanded. Hang a pressure gauge.

Get it scanned. Stop throwing parts at it and get a proper diagnosis. Need to have it driven on a live data stream and see what being commanded or not commanded. Hang a pressure gauge.

I followed the instructions when I replaced the fluid. However, I was on my back, on the ground, under the truck when I refilled so there is a chance I did not put enough fluid in it. I watched for the rapid drop flow and appeared to have it right but if not enough fluid, could that cause the intermittent problems?

Was the transmission at operating temp? That is the biggest problem that happens on DIY changes. The transmission has a thermal valve in the VB that keeps fluid in the transmission till warmed to operating temperature before sending out to the cooler. So on initial fill it looks good until it warms up and the valve opens and it sends fluid to the cooling circuit and know you are low. Most times with out the proper scan tool to tell you the temp you can use a infer red heat gun on the pan. Run it until you get a minimum of 165 degrees F. Good luck.

I was aware that the transmission needed to be warm. I was only able to get the temp up to 129 at idle, during refill, measured using infrared temp gun. I will check fluid again after driving home from work and see how it looks

Will report back

Thank you

Added 3 quarts of Marcon V after a drive to the auto parts store to buy more fluid. Put car on jackstands and kept engine running to keep transmission warmed up. Checked temperature with thermal gun and it was reading 169. Added 3 quarts. Drained about a quart to a quart and a half until proper drip flow then reinstalled Drain plug. Based on what I added and approximately what drained out I think I was about a quart to a quart and a half low. Test drove and no wrench light and seems to be shifting better. Hopefully this solves the problem. If not I will be back :). Thank you very much for everyone’s help I really do appreciate it!

Thanks for the update. Good job.

Back