Wanted - WTB Portland, OR Area: Complete Rear Axle Assembly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted WTB Portland, OR Area: Complete Rear Axle Assembly

Parts or services wanted

intelisevil

Reaction score
City, State
Sandy, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00XLT-SOHC,'99Mounty-5.0
Well the title says most of it. I need it for a 2nd Gen 5.0, 3.73 LS (Axle Code D4). I'd like to try to get something from the family here before I start haunting junkyards.

The wife was complaining about a rubbing noise "like a warped rotor on the passenger front corner". I got it up in the air to check things out. Brake pads good, rotor good, hub assembly good. No play in the axle or front drive shaft. I put it back together and had her move it around some in the driveway while I walked alongside listening.

No noise from the front . . . The rear however . . . Scary! The top of the rotor is touching the dust shield, the rotor has carved a groove 3/16" deep into the bracket that the caliper bolts onto. When I took it apart to see the damage, roller bearings were sitting in the bottom of the parking brake drum part of the rotor. Most of the cage for the roller bearings is sitting with the springs for the parking brake. The axle has worn a slot/groove into the end of the axle tube. A simple axle, bearing and seal replacement isn't going to get her back on the road!

Back