• Register Today It's free!

wtf now

lynnboy021

Reaction score
City, State
billerica ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer
02 4.0 i took off my tb out to clean it and i put it back and now i get high rpm. the mil came on and it said my tps is to low i think it was code p0122 i think. and yes i made sure nothing was out or lose.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you disconnect the neg battery cable when you did this? Maybe the PCM needs to relearn the correct idle.

no i did not. but i did not start the truck or anything without plugging it

Disconnect one of the battery terminals for about 5-10 minutes. It will clear the codes and clear the computer out.

I did that when I cleaned mine, and it was so dirty that when I went to start it, it cranked for about 5-6 seconds before it finally started.

so when i do that it should put my idle back?

so i did what u said but my idle is still high do i have to drive it more?

1 to 1 1/2 and i had my tranny rebuilt so its not helping me out. when the tranny wants to down shift it kicks cuz of the rpm and when i am holding the brakes and let go the truck can go up a hill with no gas lol. also my truck will only go to 40 mph and u can let go or floor the gas it wont do anything but if you hold the gas then u can go over 40. mil code just said tps is low but i did not touch it.... should i just drive it

Sorry, not up to speed on Exploreres yet, but a lot of cars that I've worked on it was possible to adjust the tps. You would loosen the screws (3) on the other cars and turn until the specs were met. If I can find time today I will check the manual, but I find the ford shop manual is a little difficult to find stuff in so we will see...

check to make sure the slack is the same on the throttle body wire and make sure that when truck is off the valve is closed all the way, when i put my aftermaket one on the gas pedal went down to the floor casue the spacing was slightly off with the aftermaket one so i had to tighten. Im assuming your problem is opposite that you made the wire to tight. just my 2 cents

Also, make sure you dont have a vacumn leak. Did you use a new gasket and clean the mating surfaces when you reinstalled the TB?

autozone said that the tb is not ment to be cleaned with anything kind of spary is that right cuz you can wipe off the paint or something?????

Yeah Haynes manual etc say the same thing. Some on here say its ok, and supposedly the worst it can do is give your intake a whistle.
Never did find out what that special coating was for. Anyone?

what i will do is tomorrow i will just go to the junk yard and take a tps....

so i went to the junkyard yesterday and got a new tps and everything works fine... how the old tps broke, i have no clue but thanks guys

Back