Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

WTF rear wiper broke

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by wrigley_1285, July 4, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. wrigley_1285

wrigley_1285 Active Member

City, State:
    Decatur, Illinois
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    00 Sport
    well, today it started raining like crazy so i went to turn on my rear wiper to back up when i left work this morning and nothing happened. now this has happened before. but what it was, was the wiper got stuck between the glass and rear hatch. but i didn't think any of it and just went ahead and drove home. when i got home i went to pull it out and it wasn't stuck. so i turned it on again and nothing happened. i went and checked all the fuses and relays and they were all good. so i went to give it a little help to get started and the wiper arm ####ing broke.:mad: and as soon as the arm broke the little nub that was left started working. WTF so now it works and there is no wiper on it.

Do any of you guys have any ideas as to of why it just wouldn't work like that?

or yeah since threads are worthless with out pics here's a couple for ya
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. TheJackal

TheJackal Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Mandeville, LA
    1999 Explorer XL 2WD
    that's crappy.

Might have already been weak there from previous issues. Did it get stuck on the plastic part?

4. Sams01XplrSprt

Sams01XplrSprt Southern Cali Explorer

City, State:
    Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
    2001 Sport (sold)
    that blows

5. BrianDye

BrianDye I'll have another...

City, State:
    Monroe, MI
    2006 XLT
    Ahhhhh!

Well at least only the arm broke, nothing too serious.
    Maybe it was beat to hell from a previous owner, and finally lost its last legs....

6. wrigley_1285

wrigley_1285 Active Member

City, State:
    Decatur, Illinois
    00 Sport
    do you mean the plastic thing it rests in while its off, if so it wasn't stuck in there bc i checked that first.

yeah i don't know any of the history of the truck from before i got it other than it was originally bought new in michigan. but i've had the truck for 4 yrs now, i would of thought there would of been a little bit of a warning before it just snapped off.

oh well atleast on the bright side i now have another excuse to poke around the junkyard:D

oh yeah a little side note. i thought that the wiper was making a sound that sounded like a wookie when it would swipe across the glass. but whenever the arm popped off and the nub started turning, it sounded like the wiper motor was making the sound. does anyone else get a sound that seriously sounds like chewbaca is riding in the back.

7. sn0border88

sn0border88 Master Apprentice Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Souderton, PA
    1992 XLT
    IM having a similar issue with mine right now, i think its some kind of electrical gremlin. The wiper used to work great, then it all went dead washer and everything. Fuses and relays are good, I cant think of what else it would be.

8. ramren16

ramren16 Active Member

City, State:
    greeley, CO
    01 explorer sport
    from all the threads i have been reading about these rear wipers, is seams like the same problems for a lot of people, i.e. wiper arm not allowing blade to hit the whole window(easly fixed), motor stoping, and like mine the motor works some times and doesnt other times. when it decides to stop working i have to get out and hit the arm on the part that connects to the motor its a pain i wish there was a way to fix it without buying a new motor. i do recall reading somewere on here where a guy took his motor apart and cleans something in it

9. BrianDye

BrianDye I'll have another...

City, State:
    Monroe, MI
    2006 XLT
    I know the arm on my 92, when it was like below zero and I turned it on, it would stop like all the way on the other end of the window like before it starts to go back, and would stay like that for 10-15 mins at a time unless I got out and bumped it lol.

It wouldnt stop on track, it would jerk about 4" farther than it was sposed to go and then stop there