X lynx | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KEEP IN MIND, EVERYTHING THAT FOLLOWS IS FROM MY BUILD ON ANOTHER SITE, SO ITS PRESENT TENSE WHEN I DID IT....BUT, IT SHOWS FULL BUILT MORE OR LESS.

so, i decided to obliterate my truck in an attempt at making something better. so far so good, im happy to say.

this is blackfoot(what i named my truck (no its not corny).
DSCN1680.jpg

DSCN1678.jpg

so ive seen people chop the rear end off their rigs to make a pick-up style rear end. i really liked the idea, and decided to go forward with it on my own. i have no fabrication experience at all, im majoring in welding in an attempt to learn fabrication, but i guess i would learn best by doing it. so, after much contemplation, i decided to do this to my explorer.
i had somewhat of a different idea though, versus what others had done. il explain with pics...

i started obviously by removing the interior...i didnt know where i should relocate the electronics so i left them there...
DSCN1695.jpg

i didnt take a pic of my masking tape markings, but heres what it looks like after i sawzalled it all to hell...keep in mind, the whole time im running this sawzall im having doubts in myself and second thoughts, im thinkin im destroying my car...anybody else get that notion when they fab?
DSCN1696.jpg

only had a 6 inch blade...so i kinda messed this corner up
DSCN1697-1.jpg

heres my bedsides, just sheet metal i picked up...made a crude cut and grinded it down.
DSCN1702.jpg

heres what i got so far.
DSCN1699.jpg

so where i went different was when every other chop i saw, the window was taken out and then it was cut. i had this idea about using the part i chopped off as a camper shell...kinda like a bronco top. so i left the window intact and cut around it. il be working on it again as soon as i can, so il have more pics up. my plan is to weld plates to the cut edge of the top and drill holes n bolt it down,...but my whole idea was to be interchangable...so the bolts are gonna be welded to the bed sides im thinking...and im gonna fab utility boxes for the sides...to hold my equipment. im also going to cage it and have angled bars coming down...giving it the shape kind of like a hummer i guess. on the angle im going to put my spare tire. what ya guys think? did i just mess it up completely or what?
SAS
IMAGE_010.jpg

IMAGE_011.jpg

IMAGE_008.jpg

IMAGE_012.jpg

heres the setup with radius arms....stupid design.\
IMG_3547.jpg

heres the truck with bed boxes i cut down for it
IMAGE_029.jpg

the latest and final set up, 3 link with trac bar....still got some cleaning up to do on it...n a few minor alterations, but for most part its done. flexes alright, on 20 degree ramp got a 779 rti score? i think i coulda gone higher but the rear is pretty limited. next addition is revolver shackles for rear. give me input!
IMG_5070.jpg

IMG_5069.jpg

IMG_5060.jpg

IMG_5067.jpg

scored 796 on ramp at 20 degrees

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

by the way, it is final set up, but its far from finished....its just a start. everythings held up so far, but i got a lot of stress points im going to focus on and build up. the tubing is .5" wall cold rolled steel mated with 3/4 by 3/4 chromoly heims. i know its grade 5 hardware, i already heard it from someone else on my first thread on trs....it will be upgraded soon. but, for what i got, im satisfied with results, my rear is pretty limited still, next project is revolver shackles with a small extension. i think il keep the raked rear end, it looks cool

glad my old axles went to some use, even more glad that it was on an explorer

glad my old axles went to some use, even more glad that it was on an explorer
hell yea man...im very happy about the overall outcome. still got some work to do on it, but its all a fun learning process. i havent had any problems with it so far, but im sure when i do some serious wheeling any weak points will become apparent.

how tough do you think the links are they seem kinda thin? im not knockin ya but a lil concerned... maybe sleev um. but if its cool its cool ...ya follow me? btw, how do you think the rear would flex without shocks? try it you might find them to be a lil short..as for revolvers i wouldnt bother they are dangerous and alot of ppl dont even wanna see them. they can unexpectedly unload while on serious down hills causing you to go over foward. not to mention the axle wrap... in mu poinion they are like using 1/4 inch chain as a shackle...

how tough do you think the links are they seem kinda thin? im not knockin ya but a lil concerned... maybe sleev um. but if its cool its cool ...ya follow me? btw, how do you think the rear would flex without shocks? try it you might find them to be a lil short..as for revolvers i wouldnt bother they are dangerous and alot of ppl dont even wanna see them. they can unexpectedly unload while on serious down hills causing you to go over foward. not to mention the axle wrap... in mu poinion they are like using 1/4 inch chain as a shackle...

yea im still testin out the cold roll tubing, it seems pretty tough, but if i hit it it will fold...pretty easy. i might go 2 inch diameter cold roll. ive also heard about the revolver shackles coming undone, i had some thoughts about that, like some kinda slip pin to lock it in...something...my shocks arent fully expanding, so i dont think theyre too limiting...i had this thought with a revolver design for a shock mount too, i designed it in autocad n it seems feasible...but i dont know bout it yet. i appreciate your suggestions n opinions, i have heard from a few the tubing is a critical point. i really want a stout setup, so i might upgrade before they buckle when i need them most. on the trail im gonna carry a spare tube and tap set so i can replace any bent links

Back