Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

X6StringerX's Explorers!

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by X6StringerX, October 31, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. X6StringerX

X6StringerX Well-Known Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
    Having been a member here for quite a while and having just recently acquired my 4th 2nd Gen Explorer along with an elite membership, I've decided it is time to keep a well organized progress thread.

I'll begin with Explorer #1, which was a 1997 4-door XLT 4.0ohv 4x4. Even with the underpowered 4.0ohv and the notoriously weak transmission, my love for Explorers started here. I purchased it with nearly 130k on the clock and parted with it when it had around 155k. Other than upgrading to some 30x9.50 Kumho KL78 ATs, I only performed routine maintanence and it purred like a kitten the day we parted. During a rainstorm, a large Sycamore tree on our property fell on top of the Explorer, crushing the rear hatch and causing some 1/4 panel damage as well as taking out a tail light and popping out a side glass. Remarkably, I was able to engage the 4x4 and drive out from under the 60'+ tree. I bought the replacement parts from a salvage yard, installed them myself, and later traded it in on a more economical, but very boring, 2001 Dodge Stratus after I put another 10k or so miles on it. After driving the Stratus for a week, I realized my error.
    [​IMG]

Explorer #2, a 1998 4-door XLT 5.0 AWD, along with this message board inspired me to take modding a little further. At this point, I still wasn't comfortable with making suspension adjustments or anything of that nature, but I did break out the tools and remove the running boards as well as install a custom exhaust. My '97 wouldn't clear 31x10.50 tires, but I figured I would give it another shot with this one and it worked without having to trim. This Explorer sparked my love for the 5.0/4r70w combo. With the aid of the 31s, I also developed a love for trail riding as pictured below.
    [​IMG]

Explorer #3 was also a 1998 4-door XLT 5.0 AWD, but this time, I found a diamond in the rough. I snagged this beauty for $3200 with only 76k on the clock. It was a one-owner trade-in on a new Buick (yuck). Foolishly, I modded it to suite my tastes and then sold it when I was offered a good price. For the next several months, I tried to buy it back to no avail. As recently as 2 weeks ago, I was still trying to buy it back. If I had the cash and the owner pulled in my driveway right now saying it was for sale, it would once again be mine. This was the first time I tried to do "real" mods. I did a 1.5" torsion twist, installed 1.5" Pro-Comp AALs, a custom exhaust, upgraded shocks, aftermarket wheels with 31x10.50 tires, painted some trim, etc. By the forum's standards, these aren't significant, but it was a learning process for me and I wouldn't consider trading the experiences.
    [​IMG]

Explorer #4(current) is a 2001 4-door XLT 5.0 AWD with 128k miles, which I purchased from Mentor Kia/Mitsubishi right outside of Cleveland, OH. It was definitely worth the drive. The purchase even included an aftermarket hitch by HiddenHitch. Sadly, I don't have any before pictures, but I'll keep the thread updated with the progress from this point.
    [​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Progress Report:

Drivetrain:

4.10LS

Suspension:

Pro Comp Add-A-Leaf

Exhaust:

Magnaflow XL 3-Chamber Dual 2.5" Inlet/Single 3" Outlet

Tires:

Firestone Destination A/T 31"x10.50"x15"

Exterior:

Shaved Side Moldings
    Shaved Badges
    Painted Trim

Other:

D-Ring Insert

Last edited: August 26, 2011
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. celly

celly disturber of the peace

City, State:
    calgary
    99 eb 5.0 awd
    Gotta love the 2nd gen. Nice stable. :)

4. V8powerbaby

V8powerbaby Active Member

City, State:
    Altus,OK
    '00 V8 XLT
    i like the EX and the the projects u have coming up. I have recently installed some of those procomp shocks and i enjoy them alot

5. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Very nice collection you had there. The newest member was a sweet deal. So, swapping out the AWD for some 4x4 parts eventually?

6. X6StringerX

I don't currently have plans for a 4406 swap, but when the X is demoted from DD to recreation use only, I'm sure I'll be tempted to ditch the AWD.

7. X6StringerX

It's been a while since I've done anything to the X. Winter was really harsh this year and made it difficult to make any progress. I was originally planning to keep the 235s a little longer, but due to a little incident with snow and a hole (Details Here), I ended up moving up to 31s earlier than I wanted. Today, being the first day of Spring and all, I figured I would treat the X to a day of fun in the sun with a relaxing bath for salt removal purposes as well as a frest coat of wax. If you scroll up to the first post, the "Phase 2" picture shows what it has looked like for the last 4 months. Here's a pic after today's detailing session.

[​IMG]

For fun, I snapped a pic of the whole Ford family as well.

[​IMG]

8. Sams01XplrSprt

Sams01XplrSprt Southern Cali Explorer

City, State:
    Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
    2001 Sport (sold)
    nice x u got