• Register Today It's free!

XLT vs PIU?

Billy Dunwoody

Reaction score
City, State
Culver City, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
I have a current 14 Explorer XLT with the 3.5L V6 FWD right now. I will be getting some money after Christmas and wanted to sell my explorer and possibly get a 16 Explorer Police Interceptor that has been retired with only 40k miles. All the decals, lights and accessories have been removed. What are the main differences in the performance and handling(comfort) between the regular and police explorers? Also, how hard and expensive is it to get a third row in the police interceptor?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Billy. I don't have a PIU so I can only try and offer my opinion. First of all, I think you'll end up with either a 3.5L Ecoboost or the NA 3.7L engine. The suspension is stiffer so I imagine that would change the handling characteristics and comfort somewhat. The PIU has the shifter on the steering column and has a different front console. The brakes although HD as on your XLT, are made of a different material. As for adding a 3rd row seating configuration, I don't know if it has been done here. There is a thread on the 3rd row seat delete; How to: - Explorer 3rd row delete & police package install I don't know if it is as simple as 'reverse engineering' or not. You may require additional hardware in addition to the seats. I believe the PIU has a full size spare.

Peter

I have a 15 piu ecoboost I bought instead of buying a sport pretty much converted it all over now. The suspension is way stiffer.. imo I like my wife's xlt suspension better. As for adding second and thirdrow seats it's easy. You do need thethe ex latch brackets with the seats . But swapping out is very straight forward. Unbolt old seat . Unbolt x brace and bolt in new seats and latch brackets . I have enabled pretty much every option a sport has besides power lift gate for a fraction of the cost to buy a sport. Mine had 38k on it when I bought it I'm up to 45 k now. Just changed all the fluids and she runs top notch. Another benefit to a piu is the trans tune is different and it holds in gears longer and downshifts alot faster .which all of these things are tuneable with a good tuning software they are just standard on a piu

I have a 15 piu ecoboost I bought instead of buying a sport pretty much converted it all over now. The suspension is way stiffer.. imo I like my wife's xlt suspension better. As for adding second and thirdrow seats it's easy. You do need thethe ex latch brackets with the seats . But swapping out is very straight forward. Unbolt old seat . Unbolt x brace and bolt in new seats and latch brackets . I have enabled pretty much every option a sport has besides power lift gate for a fraction of the cost to buy a sport. Mine had 38k on it when I bought it I'm up to 45 k now. Just changed all the fluids and she runs top notch. Another benefit to a piu is the trans tune is different and it holds in gears longer and downshifts alot faster .which all of these things are tuneable with a good tuning software they are just standard on a piu
What parts besides the seats itself would I need to add a third row? The one I want only comes with a second row

I do not have a detailed list, but I can tell you it will be significantly cheaper to find one in a bone yard and get everything that is different from yours all at once.

You need the third row seat which is on a pivot bracket. And you need the 2 end latch brackets these hold the seat down in the upward position there is one bracket for each side. And you will need the 3 Rd row seat belts . Pretty straight forward on install once you see it. Do note the piu 2nd row seats do not flip forward for easy access to third row. Just a little more difficult to get the the back seat with a piu 2nd row.. it's suprisingly cheap to buy all 3 rows leather at a junk yard esp if you pull them yourself. And like previous poster suggested you will have all the brackets in hand as you take them out

Back