Yakima Cargo box installation detail (with pics) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yakima Cargo box installation detail (with pics)

I've always used Thule bars and had no problems, but was curious if anyone could comment on use with the factory cross bars. I know on an old Cherokee they didn't seem sturdy enough. Trying to figure out if the factory cross bars are rigid enough to avoid the box oscillating before I commit to buy. Thaks

We have factory rails and crossbars with an xcargo sport 20 carrier from sears....manual says Thule made it. It's a great carrier....worked great on my '04 Durango and '11 Subaru outback but it bounces like crazy on the explorer. The first time we used it it was hitting down on the sunroof. Scary!

We've moved it as far back and as far forward as the roof rails allow. We had the dealer throw in the factory cross bars when we bought the vehicle and I'd prefer to not buy new cross bars. I'm not sure how the cross bars could be any worse than the factory systems that were on the Durango or Outback. Looking for a cheap solution. 500 mile trips are not all that great when you have to keep at 65mph and adjust the speed if the wind picks up.....

How is the lo loaded with duffle bags? Tough to close? I'm torn between the 16 Carbonite and 15 lo. The 16 is cheaper and larger, but I like the look of 15.

How is the lo loaded with duffle bags? Tough to close? I'm torn between the 16 Carbonite and 15 lo. The 16 is cheaper and larger, but I like the look of 15.

It does pretty good, especially in the center. When you get around the edges, especially the front it gets harder to get it all in. The box is sturdy enough that you can pull down on the lid as much as needed to get it closed and once it latches you are good. The lock gives confidence it won't burst open. I would say you can get three large LL Bean duffles full of stuff in the middle orientated across the box from left to right. Then in the back maybe a medium one. Then the front maybe two-three smalls.

I still love the box, but now with three kids, a week long summer trip to the beach is pushing the capacity to the limit. Still gobbles up tons of skis, board, poles, and boots though.

After an almost week long trip, I could see how a larger family or more butts in the seats could create the need for the overhead carrier for sure. The boxes work well and hope to avoid ever needing one on the EX.

Back