Yellowford's 93 budget rig | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yellowford's 93 budget rig

Picked up this 93 to be my winter ride/ wheeler, after selling my last v8 Explorer to get a better dd with way better gas mileage it was time to find something to drive in the snow and wheel. This is where it begins a $500 Explorer sport.

Specs
4.0L v6
M50D
Electric shift 1354
Stupid auto hubs
Open diffs front and rear 3.27:(

Budget Tracking
$500 Explorer
$20 starter soleniod
$35 Water pump
$10 Antifreeze

Hoping to get this ready to drive by halloween for smorr, currently trying to figure out a starter problem, the only way to start it right now is push starting and popping the clutch. Also it has a coolant leak I need to track down once its running. The doors have the typical first gen doop pin problems. The interior needs a good cleaning, possibly do the Joedirt cleaning method. Drivers side door has no interior panel and the window is not on the track at all.

Plans are to get it running good first, add recovery points, cut fenders, then find some tires to throw on it and go wheeling.

Couple pics, not very good since it sitting in the garage right now:(
SANY0697.jpg

dirty interior
SANY0698.jpg

SANY0699.jpg

Currently has B2 wheels with 30x9.5 on the back and some 235/75s on the front with the factory wheels
SANY0701.jpg

Think this is the only Ex without a saggy back end, currently it sits about 2in higher than the front and the front has some weird air shocks inside the coil springs that can be aired up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the rig out this past Sunday at Tuttle creek, it performed amazing offroad. After driving a 1st gen on the trails it makes 3rd gens seem stupid and 2nd gens just seem silly. Its crazy how much better this thing worked out on the trails than all of the other trucks I've owned. However the 2hr drive there and back sucked, this is really not a highway vehicle at all, although it will still hold 75 on the highway and netted me 16mpg, not to bad for stock gears, 33's and 250k miles on it.

Should have some pictures or video once JakeBrake posts them up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TTB is nice. My 94 does incredibly well on the trails with just 31's on it and 2 in of lift. I have a set of 33" KM2 to slap on it, might have to take it to the next meet we have :)

Glad it did well for you. See you at SMORR in a few days! Woot!

Sweet, it makes that drop off look like nothing lol, how big do you think it was somwhere around 4ft.

enough to teeter-totter that big ol X on 33's, it was cool. I wish we had a video of you pullin me out of that ocean I fell into!

enough to teeter-totter that big ol X on 33's, it was cool. I wish we had a video of you pullin me out of that ocean I fell into!

That was a little bit of a deep hole lol, you would have probably made it through if the limited slip didn't crap out.

Those shocks you gave me are some stiff effersl, they did improve the highway driving a lot though.

I'm just glad I was able to keep up with you on the trails, except for the cliffs where everything seems to break anyways.

saw you blew out some shock bushings at SMORR let me know if you need new ones I have some Id trade you for a brake line block and banjo bolt i left in your tool box! lol

Finally got all of my problems from smorr figured out and am back on the road with it. I am now at a crossroad with a tough decision. The problem is my mustang is suppose to be my dd but it just sits as the Explorer is way more fun to drive and just my prefrence to drive. So do I sell it and use the money to fix up the Explorer and keep part of the proceeds to add to buying a tow rig down the road in maybe the summer.

car in question
SANY0730.jpg

If I do sell the car it would mean the Explorer would get some much needed attention done to the interior, new tires, sliders, maybe gears and lockers, pluy just maybe a winch. So it is deffinetly something I am considering, also the mustang only gets a couple mpg better gas mileage.

Looks like a 6 banger stang, no? If so..yes. Sell it. That car should never have been in the first place. :) Explorer is much more fun and you can do A LOT w/ the money.

rent a trailer, tow the mustang with your explorer. come drop it off at my house along with the signed over title and keys. ill give you a bakers dozon of chocolate chip cookies for it

Na, doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. Plus the Explorer would die if it had a trailer hooked up to it.

Looks like a 6 banger stang, no? If so..yes. Sell it. That car should never have been in the first place. :) Explorer is much more fun and you can do A LOT w/ the money.

Sadly it is a v6 but that was actually the reason I bought it to save on gas but its not all that great, to be honest its not much slower than my first car a 94gt. I think the automatic is what slowed that one down though, with the 5spd the v6 has a little get up and go.

When modifying an Explorer, it is best to own a reliable 2nd vehicle. ;)

I would have to agree.

If you sell it maybe buy a cheaper D.D or reliable car. You never know when you will bust something when you are 4 wheeling or whatever.

When modifying an Explorer, it is best to own a reliable 2nd vehicle. ;)

I've kind of been thinking this too, which is why I'm considering buying a tow rig come summer time. Guess I could just keep it around for awhile, it was nice to come back from SMORR and not have to fix anything right away. Maybe get another v8 explorer like my old one and use a tow dolley to drag the 93 around. For now the mustang is staying around and will just sit most of the winter once the snow starts flying.

Sell stang since it is V6

Buy tow rig, Ford F250-350, maybe even 150 setup right.

SAS the explorer, put winch, 35s and lets hit some trails!!!

Sell stang since it is V6

Buy tow rig, Ford F250-350, maybe even 150 setup right.

SAS the explorer, put winch, 35s and lets hit some trails!!!

This sounds like an awesome plan, now if only I could convince my boss I need more hours, or school to give me less hours. Maybe sometime in the future this will be a possibility though.

Back