1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

YOU Can Help Stop Terrorism!

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by spiper, September 27, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. spiper

spiper Active Member

City, State:
      Missouri
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1991 XLT
      Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of the Middle East. Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Middle East. Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends. I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from.

Major companies that import Middle Eastern oil (for the period 9/1/00 - 8/31/01).

Shell................ 205,742,000 barrels

Chevron/Texaco....... 144,332,000 barrels

Exxon /Mobil......... 130,082,000 barrels

Marathon............. 117,740,000 barrels

Amoco................ 62,231,000 barrels

If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION!
      Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil. Buy your gas from them:

Citgo - 0 barrels

Sunoco - 0 barrels

Conoco - 0 barrels

Sinclair - 0 barrels

BP/Phillips - 0 barrels

Hess - 0 barrels

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and can be easily documented. Refineries located in the U.S. are required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing. They report on a monthly basis.

Keep this list in your car; share it with friends. Stop paying for terrorism.............

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. JGAMBLE

JGAMBLE B

City, State:
      Ft. Wainwright, Ak
      1994xlt
      cool, thanks for the info man.:cool: being in the army, it's nice to try and find ways to stay alive. The army finds enough ways to try and kill me.:p

4. 88vert

88vert Explorer Addict

City, State:
      clinton,iowa
      94 unlimited
    5. GJarrett

GJarrett Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
      '99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
      I want to help...

However I received a similar email over a year ago and unfortunately cannot find it now. The response I got at the time was that none of this type of info was justified and that there were a few inconsistencies because some of the "good" corporations got their fuel directly from some of the "bad" corps.

So my question is: Please provide the source at the DOE where all of this information can be "easily documented" in response to your claim that "All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and can be easily documented."

Prove and document this, and I am right there with you, and let me say that I hope you are right and if so I will do all I can to spread the word.

If you can prove to me that buying my gas at Citgo supports domestic economy and keeps my dollars from going overseas, I'll gladly pay a premium and go out of my way to purchase my fuel there instead of Texaco (I don't buy from some of the others anyway- haven't purchased Exxon gas since the Valdez incident in Alaska, so you can see I back my conscience with my pocketbook).

But I will not make a decision such as this based on yet another post quoting "truth" because it must-be-true-because-it-was-published-on-the-web. I've already figured out that the American Cancer Society doesn't get a donation if I respond to a junk email, and that Bill Gates isn't going to send me lots of money if I respond to another one I got, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Last edited: September 27, 2002
    6. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      thanks for the info.

unfortunately, the non-buyers you listed are either not available in my area or make my truck run like crap :(

7. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

My company uses Citgo exclusively. Glad to here we were unknowly helping ourselves and our country.

Robb

8. Brandon4AU

Brandon4AU Wannabe "Elite Explorer"<br>sXc Member

City, State:
      Montgomery/Auburn, Alabama
      '96 XLT
      Why is it then that Citgo is so expensive? And why do they follow along and jack up the prices when those desert monkeys jack up the prices? Not trying to question you or anything. It would be really nice if Citgo would lower their prices when those turds do that. Sigh in a perfect world...:rolleyes:
      (by desert monkey I mean those extremist terrorist pricks...not people of Arab descent.)

9. spiper

spiper Active Member

City, State:
      Missouri
      1991 XLT
      Re: I want to help...

http://www.energy.gov/

10. GJarrett

GJarrett Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
      '99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
      I aplogize for being a dolt; I can't find it.

But I've spent the last half hour at that site searching every way I can think of and I'm finding countless pages such as http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/usa.html that is leaving my head spinning, but I still can't find the answer.

Where is the specific link that documents your post? Once again I want to make clear that I want to do the right thing! :thumbsup:

But on the other hand I refuse to be manipulated by misinformation that may be planted by others with agendas that I would not consider to be in the best interest of myself or my country.

Help!

11. spiper

spiper Active Member

City, State:
      Missouri
      1991 XLT
      I will ask the person who sent it to me, whom I consider a reliable source.

12. 2001ExpSport

2001ExpSport Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Chicago, Il
      2001 Sport

That's one clue there, the guy that sent it to me. Well, I get emails like that all the time. So, where ever the gas is cheapest, I am buying it. I usually get Hess.

Also, anyone read the letter from a journalist in Canada? You know the one where he praises USA and that Canada should stand behind the US? That was written in 1976.

I see these mailings everyday and so far for the last 6 yrs, they have all been bull.

I am with Jarret, if you can prove it I'll believe it.

13. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      found something along these lines; perhaps this is where the info comes from. This page is a list of companies who imported oil from the middle east and how much between January and June 2002. http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/...y_level_imports/current/data/summary2002.html (accessed from http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/info_glance/petroleum.html by clicking on "company level imports" at the right).
      I noted that some of the companies on your list that didn't import from the middle east during the time period you listed are now listed here (Sunoco, BP, Citgo). Also how do mergers fit into this scenario? BP and Amoco have merged; do they still keep their crude supplies separate? Does buying from BP help Amoco or does buying from Amoco help BP?

14. spiper

spiper Active Member

City, State:
      Missouri
      1991 XLT
      I am still waiting for a reply from him. I am certain he wouldn't send me something like that if it were not true. I took it for granted that it was true due to the source I got it from, he is a well respected member of the Fire Dept. of New York. My curiousity has now been peaked as well as to where this information came from and told him so.

15. james t

james t moderation Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Texarkana AR/TX
      94 SAS sport
      only problem is, around here, we only have stations on the "terrorist list", and none on the USA list. so, if it proves true, there will be some of us who can do nothing...

16. Mike 92 XLT

Mike 92 XLT Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Manhattan Beach, CA
      Expensive German Stuff
      An interesting and good idea, but there is one problem with it. Oil companies often will trade gasoline with each other based on refinery locations, transportation costs, etc. So even though you buy gas from a BP station, there is nothing guaranteeing that the gasoline actually came from a BP refinery. I know that here in Cali, SoCal Shell gas is from the ARCO (now BP) refinery, and in NorCal, the ARCO gas is from the Shell refinery (or maybe it's the other way around). ARCO and Shell have a gas-sharing agreement to supply each other in different markets. I'm sure it's the same everywhere. It's still a cool idea, but I just wanted to give everyone a little heads-up about that.

Mike

17. CoryL

CoryL Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Louisville, KY
      94 Eddie Bauer
      Show me proof that the Arab countries that export oil support terrorism.

Didn't think so.

I'll keep buying fuel from the cheapest place.

18. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      Another issue straining the friendship between the two countries is the fact that 15 of the 19 hijackers that slammed four commercial airliners into American targets last year, killing more than 3,000 people, are now known to have been citizens of Saudi Arabia.

Some Americans don’t see Saudi Arabia as an ally at all and plan to hold the country accountable for the events of Sept. 11, 2001. More than 600 family members, firefighters and rescue workers, under the name Families United to Bankrupt Terrorism, have filed a $116 trillion lawsuit.

The group is suing seven international banks, eight Islamic foundations, the Saudi bin Laden Group, three Saudi Arabian princes and the government of Sudan. Representatives from the group say all of the defendants are in some way responsible for financing the al-Qaida network and last year’s attacks.

“It’s up to us to bankrupt the terrorists and those who finance them so they will never again have the resources to commit such atrocities against the American people as we experienced on Sept. 11,” said Deena Burnett, whose husband was aboard the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania, in a recent statement.

Lawyers representing the plaintiffs say they are sure members of the Saudi royal family have contributed and supported the al-Qaida network as well as Osama bin Laden.

It is unclear as of yet if families can sue an ally of the United States, but the Families United to Bankrupt Terrorism is set to put that question to the test — arguing that Saudi Arabia isn’t the good friend the United States thought it was.

“If the odds are stacked against us, we’ll beat them,” said Matt Selino who lost his son in one of the collapsed World Trade Center towers, “and we will pursue this action until justice is served and terrorism is stopped.”

19. jasonb

jasonb Jackstand Wheeler Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Suwanee, GA
      '99 Sport 4x4
      BP sells Amoco gasoline. i'm sure some of the others are the "same" company as well.

i buy QuickTrip all the time.. its cheap. i don't know what refinery their gas comes from. they have good fountain drinks too.

20. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      what about arco? they usually have the cheapest gas...... and what about quikstop? i know they are run by arab guys.... but just becuase someone is of arabian descent, doesnt mean we have the right to judge and act upon those judgements however we see fit.....

21. mattadams

mattadams Tall Man Little Escape Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      2010 Escape XLT
    22. SteveVB

SteveVB Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gaithersburg, Maryland
      04 Rubicon w/stuff
      Thanks Matt

I was looking for that page.

Wish people would check things out before they post or send me an e-mail about some cause or next great thing. Steve your friend may be a great guy, and just sent it because he did the same thing you did. You trusted the sender to have checked it out and most likely he didnt- he had a friend he trusted. The internet is a web of misinformation, useless, unless you can directly source something it cant be believed. The crap out there is UFB. Gerald being old and wise was on to it right away. My mother is the worst about FWDing me (and everyone else she knows) crap. !!

I delete everything that is tagged FWD.

About the gas and support - like was said before most gas comes from the same distribution facility and the additive packages are added depending on destination. No way any lay person can determine source by the time it gets to the pump.

23. John_Rock

John_Rock Elite In Memoriam

City, State:
      Houston, TX
      2001 Sexy Sport Trac 4x4
      Thanks for that article Matt. Very useful information.

So what's the answer to giving less money to terrorism?
      Maybe using less gasoline and oil.
      Take public transportation whenever possible. Carpool if you can. Get out and ride a bicycle.
      Here, I'd be crazy to not take the bus to work into downtown Houston. The cost of parking downtown, plus the added mileage and wear and tear on my truck aren't worth the savings that I gain from riding the bus.
      In addition my company discounts the bus passes $15 for us.
      When I lived in Phoenix I used to put my bicycle on the front of the bus in the morning to ride to work, and in the afternoon I would ride my bike home the whole way.

Hopefully soon the automotive manufacturers will put out an electric or fuel cell driven 4x4 truck. Something that will use less gasoline.

Weening ourselves of gasoline and diesel is the only way to put these guys back to the poor house. And they will go back to fighting each other.

It will take time, you just have to be patient.

24. mattadams

mattadams Tall Man Little Escape Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      2010 Escape XLT
      aquaman, that was one of my points back a few years ago when there was that massive email circling the net about sticking it to the gas companies by not buying any gas on one specific day. Like they care. Youre still buying the same amount, one day isn't going to cripple them even if NO ONE bought any. You want to cripple the gas companies, don't use gas, and get everyone you know to not use gas. That won't happen for a long long itme though :).

25. John_Rock

John_Rock Elite In Memoriam

City, State:
      Houston, TX
      2001 Sexy Sport Trac 4x4
      I did a little research on the Ford website. They already have an electric Ranger out in California.
      Ford Ranger EV
      Looks like a leasing program. I wonder if you can put a locker in the rear diff eventhough you leased it. :D

26. spiper

spiper Active Member

City, State:
      Missouri
      1991 XLT
      The guy I got this from is now checking with the person he got it from. He, like I did just took his word for it and didn't think twice about it.