• Register Today It's free!

YOU CAN LIFT A 2002 EXPLORER

DR J

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002, Limited
Hey there everybody im sure some of you have been reading my posts but i found out today that you can lift a 02 explorer. You can do a 3"body lift and a 3.5" not suspension but somthing similar lift. I cant remember the exact name of the lift or the company that makes it but it is possible. Anyways im gonna try and find out the details and get back to yall. If you have any questions i might be able to help with just let me know and ill give it my best shot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A 3.5" sort of suspension lift on a vehicle that has the halfshafts going through the frame? Any real info here would be appreciated. The BL wouldn't be a question, that is only a matter of putting some blocks on. Why are you posting with nothing to back up your claims?

Robb

glad robb said it...... a lot of us here are skeptical for good reason.... there is no way to lift by suspension a 2002...

Well, you could always move the axle below the frame.. Cut the frame off like Coryl... Something... Then again, I talk ze sh*t, I don know much... :p

Originally posted by me
there is no way to lift by suspension a 2002...

ok, i take that back.... there is no way to lift a stock type suspended 2002..... unless there were other huge frame /suspension/design modifications made to the original vehicle

Originally posted by DR J
Hey there everybody im sure some of you have been reading my posts but i found out today that you can lift a 02 explorer. You can do a 3"body lift and a 3.5" not suspension but somthing similar lift. I cant remember the exact name of the lift or the company that makes it but it is possible. Anyways im gonna try and find out the details and get back to yall. If you have any questions i might be able to help with just let me know and ill give it my best shot.

Uh... yeah, well, as long as it's got body mounts a b/l is a good bet... it's a matter of finding a lift that will work with it....

and what is a lift that isn't suspension or body? I'd like to know... and you can lift any vehicle that's been made... it's just a matter of how much money, and change of vehicle yer willing to make.
Pete

Hey can some of yall name all the different types of brands for lifts so i can remember and take a look at it.
If you do this i will get your proof.

Thanks

There are two kinds of lifts.

Body
Suspension

We know a body lift is available for the 2002 Explorer. You can use any body lift for it. You don't need a specific "kit." That goes for just about any other vehicle.

As for the suspension, if it does exist, and I highly doubt that, not only would it require A LOT of work to get it to work properly with the CVs running through the frame in the rear, but it would cost an UNGODLY amount of money.

Are you sure you aren't looking at 91-94 Explorer lift kits?

Dont worry about naming the brands i remembered what it was. Its a Spindle lift made by fabtech i believe. I know it doesnt show it on thier website but does exist.
Its a 3.5" spindle lift and then you can add the 3" body lift.

Do yall any suggestions for what tires and wheels i should get?

A spindle lift will only work with a 2wd and even then you cant use them on the rear b/c you do have axleshafts!!!!

Unless its brand spanking new, i think youre mislead sir. Cause i havent heard about it.

the spindle of 3" is available for 2wd late model explorers.... but not a 2002.... if it is, please direct us to a link on their site

I think you are thinking of 2002 Sports maybe.

addkev, me? by late model i meant the second generation as all of them shared the same basic body cues and suspension.... thats why i added not the 2002....

No, I know you know what you are talking about. But to think that FabTech has already come up with a Spindle Kit for the 2002 4-Door is rediculous. How long did we wait for product support for 2nd gens? If it weren't for the Sport Trac and Ranger we would still be waiting.

I thought a sport was the same in 02 as in 01. Perhaps the shop he was talking to looked up sport kits not even considering that a 4dr is completly different. That happens so often but one could be told that a 02 Explorer 3.5" lift exists, just not for a 4dr.

Ok im pretty sure i made it clear to the sales man that it was a 2002 explorer 4dr 2wd and he called up one of his guys and told me i could do the spindle and body lift for under 2k installed. I havent ordered it yet but when i do i will let yall know all the details. I will take pictures of everything the boxes the parts and the car before and after.

hahahahah DONT DO IT, you dont know what you are doing, there is NO lift that will work, the guy was an idiot that didnt know what he was talking about. STOP NOW, dont pay a cent until you knoW FOR SURE that it will work cuz i can almost positively guarentee you that its just a miscommunication.

btw, we all know the bodylift will work.... i was just talking about your phony suspension lift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Being from the Industry, I haven't heard anything yet about a lift for the 3rd Gens.

IF a lift is possible for the 3rd gen, then it would probably take a long time to release just like it did for the 2nd Gen because a lot of people are worried about the rear "port hole" in the frame that the rear axle goes through.

I've thought through 2 designs for lifting the 3rd Gens. Both will work but it will have limited articulation in the rear because the axle would still go through the frame. Both would be somewhat costly as well. The truck would never be a serious off road vehicle, but the lift would work for looks, daily driving, and some MINOR offroading, nothing too serious. The axles wouldn't be strong enough. I'll draw up some quick ideas, see what you all think. I probably won't pursue it, BUT anything is possible.

Back