Your opinion: FORScan vs Torque apps for diagnosing your Explorer issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Your opinion: FORScan vs Torque apps for diagnosing your Explorer issues

SyberTiger

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
I have Torque on my Android phone but was curious to know from those that use either or both apps which one you like better and why. TIA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess it depends on what info you're trying to get out of them. I prefer forscan on my laptop for real diagnosis issues and like that I can program new keys using the PATS function.
In my opinion, Torque is good for everyday type of monitoring as i like its user interface better.

you can do more with ForScan (like actuator test and modifications) than Torque.
Torque is only good for checking/erasing codes and basic monitoring, it doesn't support all the PIDs that ForScan can.

Forscan is for mobile is not the same as for a pc. So dont buy Forscan for your Android phone thinking you can reprogram keys. Forscan for mobile does give you some of the Ford-specific PIDs. Torque, otoh, is a good basic OBDII interface. I have and use both.

I'm curious if SyberTiger or anyone that does use Torque has figured out how to measure/monitor fuel pressure on our Explorers. I see the various fuel pressure choices in lists when creating a new display but I never get values for any fuel pressure. The same profile setup using Torque on my Jaguar does return values for fuel pressures.

I'm curious if SyberTiger or anyone that does use Torque has figured out how to measure/monitor fuel pressure on our Explorers. I see the various fuel pressure choices in lists when creating a new display but I never get values for any fuel pressure. The same profile setup using Torque on my Jaguar does return values for fuel pressures.

For anyone interested, THIS is what Rob is talking about as far as selecting the parameter you want displayed. Note that in the video he select the fuel pressure parameter which has a background color in GREEN. If the parameter does not have a green background then it is not available for display in Torque as far as I can tell. For my Explorer, the fuel pressure parameter is not highlighted. Rob, can you verify that for your Jaguar it is versus your Explorer it is not?

That is correct. Exactly the case that Torque does not have Fuel Flow rate, Fuel Pressure, Fuel Rail Pressure for the Explorer as a metric. Nothing that I can find related to fuel at all for Explorer. I do have all those for the Jag. I will say the Jag has a fuel pressure sensor that mounts directly to the end of fuel rail and the Explorer didn't have comparable part.

Forscan by far. I can display for example any GEM parameter or a dashboard full of transmission info. I have a car PC so things look very nice on the display.

Thanks everyone. When I get a chance I'll take put the laptop in the Explorer and check out FORScan.

Thanks everyone. When I get a chance I'll take put the laptop in the Explorer and check out FORScan.

Well, my bluetooth ODBII adapter (ELM327) didn't work out with FORScan in conjuction with my laptop. Apparently, FORScan requires a lot more data throughput and the bluetooth versions of the ODBII adapters don't cut it. I Googled it to find out it's a known issue. Oh well, I ordered a WiFi ODBII adapter on eBay. When it comes in I'll give it the ol' college try and hope for better results.

My new WiFi OBD2 adapter came in and I took it for a quick spin to see what info I could glean through it using FORScan. I can see why you all recommend it. There is quit a bit more info available versus Torque. I have not taken the time to process all it's capabilities. One thing I looked for but did not find was fuel rail pressure (FRP). Is the fuel rail pressure not reportable via the OBD2?...or could it be my new OBD2 adapter does not fully support ELM327 like it should?

Or...it could be that the 2002 4.6L does not have FRP data reportable via the OBD2 and you can only get that info using the Schrader valve and a fuel pressure tester which would explain why it doesn't appear I have a FRP sensor.

Back