Your opinion on 2014 Sport with 140K miles on it??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Your opinion on 2014 Sport with 140K miles on it???

SyberTiger

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
Having a 3rd gen Ex I have a lot of knowledge and opinion on that particular generation but know nothing of the 2014 Sport and wanted to get opinions. On the 2002 Ex you can always count on front wheel bearings going out too soon, Tranny servo bore leak problem, leaking plastic intake manifold just to name a few things.

Was 2014 a good year for the Explorer or are there some known issues that most folks end up seeing at some point?

What about the 3.5L Ecoboost turbo engine? Good engine? Typical or known problems? How's the tranny on these models? Any issue with the AWD or 4x4 system?

What do you think about a 2014 that has 140K miles on it? What's worn out...timing chains, etc????

Any opinions good and bad are welcome....thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I can tell you the known issues are back of intake valves get build up so make sure to run premium gas. Also if you track it make sure you let good cool down time between runs don't keep hot lapping. Also turbo's can go out at that mileage as well. But besides that these are good power for cheap. But at that mileage you may want to be careful those engines are not cheap. Let me know if you have any questions my name is Jake

Well I can tell you the known issues are back of intake valves get build up so make sure to run premium gas. Also if you track it make sure you let good cool down time between runs don't keep hot lapping. Also turbo's can go out at that mileage as well. But besides that these are good power for cheap. But at that mileage you may want to be careful those engines are not cheap. Let me know if you have any questions my name is Jake

Hmm, interesting....what do you think about this? And, if this is a crappy way to clean what's the solution. How do you manually clean the back of the values? Do you remove the intake manifold then get down and dirty with wire brushes and a vacuum cleaner?

I'm curious, what's the relation between running premium and intake valve buildup?

As for issues with this engine, I think the most common(but not widespread) is the water pump.

PTU can be an issue with AWD versions.

I'm curious, what's the relation between running premium and intake valve buildup?

As for issues with this engine, I think the most common(but not widespread) is the water pump.

PTU can be an issue with AWD versions.

The only thing I can think of is that premium fuel might burn cleaner and the resulting blow-by that the PCV is looping back to the combustion chamber doesn't gunk up the back of the valves as much. It wasn't my comment so I'm just guessing.

So, there are some having problems with the water pump going out. I assume on the V-6 that's it's bloody murder to get to the timing chain cover to get to it?

Is it well documented that the power takeoff unit has a lot of failures in the AWD models?

Rust (door and trunk jambs/seams), corrosion, stocks/struts (and mounts), sway bar links, etc. Turbos might need some help at some point, too.
Back seat legroom is poor, considering the size.

Yes it does burn cleaner that is why premium fuel is better. And yes you are correct on PTU fluid I forgot to mention that as well. Now as for that product we have never used it so I don't want to give any advice on it. But I will tell you they are a good company but I would read into it a little further because these ecoboost engines you should not use any fuel additives or cleaners and for sure no octane boosters. That is whats in the manual.

Yes it does burn cleaner that is why premium fuel is better. And yes you are correct on PTU fluid I forgot to mention that as well. Now as for that product we have never used it so I don't want to give any advice on it. But I will tell you they are a good company but I would read into it a little further because these ecoboost engines you should not use any fuel additives or cleaners and for sure no octane boosters. That is whats in the manual.

Do you mean premium as in 93 octane or premium as in top tier gas?

Yes 93 or 91 whatever is in your area

Having a 3rd gen Ex I have a lot of knowledge and opinion on that particular generation but know nothing of the 2014 Sport and wanted to get opinions. On the 2002 Ex you can always count on front wheel bearings going out too soon, Tranny servo bore leak problem, leaking plastic intake manifold just to name a few things.

Was 2014 a good year for the Explorer or are there some known issues that most folks end up seeing at some point?

What about the 3.5L Ecoboost turbo engine? Good engine? Typical or known problems? How's the tranny on these models? Any issue with the AWD or 4x4 system?

What do you think about a 2014 that has 140K miles on it? What's worn out...timing chains, etc????

Any opinions good and bad are welcome....thanks!
Welcome to the 5th Gen Forum.:wave:
Personally, with that kind of mileage I would stay away from it unless you are prepared to possibly spend some big bucks on the water pump/engine issue.
Water pump failure leads to dead engine There are many threads on that water pump.
Also, you may find this a useful thread; Helpful Hints for a Pre-Pick Up Inspection / Check List

Peter

Welcome to the 5th Gen Forum.:wave:
Personally, with that kind of mileage I would stay away from it unless you are prepared to possibly spend some big bucks on the water pump/engine issue.
Water pump failure leads to dead engine There are many threads on that water pump.
Also, you may find this a useful thread; Helpful Hints for a Pre-Pick Up Inspection / Check List

Peter

Hey thanks for the links.

Does anyone have a VERY rough guesstimate on how many times leaking water pumps in the 3.5L Ecoboost have been a problem for owners in this forum. Without me doing a thorough search on the forum an reading every thread I just wanted to get a feel for how common this issue is. If you said 10 times in the last 8 years I'd say there's minimal risk but if it's 100's of times then that is more concerning. And, I realize that everyone who had a 3.5L Ecoboost did not signup for this forum and post their experience so even the reports on here are a small fraction on what's occurred in the rest of the world.

For example, on the 3rd gen Ford Explorers I can tell you on the V-8 that the companion tranny 90% of the time will have the server bore leak issue by the time you have 100k miles (often many miles less) because those dummy engineers at Ford didn't understand a simple basic concept like dissimilar metals and the consequences of different metal hardness when moving parts are in contact. Same high failure rate could be applied to the plastic intake manifolds used on both the V-8 and V-6 early years of the 3rd gen but that failure might not happen until 120k+ miles. That one you got coolant entering the combustion chamber then ends up destroying the Cats. So, just trying to find out the likelihood of failure of the waterpump within 200k miles. My guess is that number percentage is extremely high. I don't know if I've seen many Ford/Chevy products get to 200k miles without a leaking waterpump but at least you can easily observe the leak on the exterior of the engine.

There is currently a thread on the front page "water pump failure leads to engine damage" that is quite informative.

Long story short, this water pump has failed on 5th gen explorers and seems to be a known and not uncommon failure on mazdas equipped with it.

If I remember correctly MY14 doesn't have a beefed up/redesigned water pump. If it hasn't been replaced, I would make it a priority to do so. YMMV.

A PTU flush would also be recommended (especially if it hasn't been done).

There is currently a thread on the front page "water pump failure leads to engine damage" that is quite informative.

Long story short, this water pump has failed on 5th gen explorers and seems to be a known and not uncommon failure on mazdas equipped with it.

If I remember correctly MY14 doesn't have a beefed up/redesigned water pump. If it hasn't been replaced, I would make it a priority to do so. YMMV.

A PTU flush would also be recommended (especially if it hasn't been done).

Thank you for the info. How many miles are on your 2014? And, at how many miles do you plan on replacing it?

Thank you for the info. How many miles are on your 2014? And, at how many miles do you plan on replacing it?

I actually have a 17 with about 44k miles. I plan on flushing the PTU at around 50k (basically as soon winter ends) and the water pump either before the powertrain warranty runs out or (if I get an ESP) at around 90k.

Unless there is an issue with the pump I don't think a dealer will do anything with it, so in or out of warranty shouldn't matter. That's if I understood the post correctly.

Peter

Unless there is an issue with the pump I don't think a dealer will do anything with it, so in or out of warranty shouldn't matter. That's if I understood the post correctly.

Peter

That's what I would think....unless you can show there's an issue the dealer will not replace it under warranty because the owner feels it should be replaced or that it might be near the point where it might fail. That's why I was curious about it. I'm guessing it'd cost around $1,500 dollars for a typical mechanic to do the work and maybe up to $2,500 if a Ford dealer does the work.

Peter

No you're right, I just don't feel like pushing my luck outside of warranty so I'd rather replace it while I still have some sort of protection in case the replacement fails. Seems redundant, but c'est la vie.

These model Explorers seem very light duty. With that many miles I wouldn’t consider it unless you are very lucky, don’t drive a lot, and can stomach a $2000 repair in the first few years.

I had a 2014 XLT for 2 years. It had repeated shifting problems which Ford never did fully fix. Also it had suspension problems in the front end. I got rid of it when I changed jobs, at only 35,000 miles. I would not even look at a 2014 with as many miles as you indicate. That car is at the end of it's life cycle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya
Ford dropped ball on this gen. Knowing what I know now I would never buy the v6 version with high miles. (Over 100k). I trust my 2008 rav4 v6 much more than my 11 explorer. It’s a shame. It’s even worse ford gives most owners the middle finger when their engine burns up due to the pump failing. In addition many failures destroy the engine with zero warning to owner. But ford saved a few bucks deleting low coolant level sensor. Way to go ford.

Back