Your Results May Vary - 2002 Reliability/Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Your Results May Vary - 2002 Reliability/Problems

EasyRhino

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua, Hawai'i
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited 4.6L 4x4
Lots of good help on this site; however, the detail-conscious could get the idea that these SUVs may not be good long-term keepers. It may just be that we all come here when we have a problem or concern (and frustration).

I have often lamented selling my '97 XLT and buying my 2002 Ex. But now I have more miles on my '02 than on my '97 when I sold it, and have had it for a longer time.

To date, replaced tires at 50K, battery at 5 years, and brake pads at 80K miles. Only 'significant' repair was one front wheel bearing going bad last fall (replaced both). Other than that, it has been nickle-dime stuff (most of it more aggravation than functional defect). Has had the rear gear whine since new, but has not gotten worse or let go yet. Still has original tranny fluid. Gets about 15.5 mpg over 86K miles.

Bottom line, I am going to keep this one until it drops - heck, maybe next week it disintigrates, now that I've said this!

Have to agree with you Rhino, my 2002 XLS 4.0 4x4 has treated me just as well as the vehicle I replaced, a 96 Ranger 4x4 Supercab 4.0L XLT. I was a GM man before the Ranger, but was impressed after 6 years and virtually no problems after 97,000 miles...one new set of tires and changed the brakes twice. I pulled a small bass boat with the Ranger and continue to with the Explorer. The 4.0 handles it fine but it's only a 16 footer. I would'nt want to haul a heavier one.

So far with the Explorer I've bought a new set of tires and replaced the DPFE sensor (It ran fine, but I got tired of looking at the SES light) The original brakes are still on it after 67,000 miles.

I'll be trading it in the near future. Haven't decided to stay with the Explorer or go back to a pickup. The Ranger's "Supercab" is anything but super, so I will have to go with the F-150 if I decide on a pickup.

Back