Your thoughts on this setup

bigtigexplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sierra Vista, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4x4
I was wondering what you guys/gals thought about this setup. I really like because it has a simple but elegant look while remaining totaly custom. My only concern was that being a sealed enclosure, does haveing the speakers so close to the floor have any adverse affects on sound?

Dead Link RemovedDead Link RemovedDead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it looks nice, but obviously the output and sound quality will be deminished. it just matters what is more important to you looks vs. sound.

there are other ways to do a similar setup that are better.

I knew I could count on you to give your honest opinion. How would you change it to keep the same basic look but also keep a good clean sound? Face the speakers up?

one install that i did in a yukon was similar to that.
i built the box with the subs rear facing. the top of the box had two diamond shaped plexi windows (it's what he wanted). one was over each subwoofer. and i had a purple neon tube mounted in the box so it lit up the subs, but you couldn't see the tube (only the glow).

there are other ways to do it. it's up to your imagination.

I thought about something similar, but I want the plexi to be on the front of the enclosure so that when you open the back you can see it. So I guess that leaves me with the subs facing up, but I'm not sure how I could do the amps.

do you want the amps attached to the box?
you could always make the box almost as wide as your explorer, then mount them on the sides of the box. or you could just mount the amps where they wont even be seen.

When I went to have my truck taken to a Competition dealer, that's exactly the type of setup he wanted to put in my truck. The output will be more controlled, because you'll still get the nice feel of bass, but the bass waves won't be directed immediately to the tailgate which causes all the rattling that everyone on this board has, nor is it faced straight up, where the bass is vibrating the ceiling and causing everyone's explorer's to have their dome lights broken off. To get the most from a system like this, you'd need and EQ to get a clean, flat response, but that'd be no different from the most common setups. The frequency range will most likely be more narrow though.

JTang - Did you go with this setup, it so how do you like it?

When you have multiple subs in a single enclosure. Do you feel it is better to let each sub havce it's own air space(multiple boxes in one) or let the subs share the same air space given that the air space is suitable for the number of subs?

the bracing is better if you seperate the chambers. but you could still have two identical subwoofers sharing the same airspace.

with that setup, the frequency range will be narrower like JTang said. the only air it will move is what can fit through that small opening at the bottom (almost like how a bandpass box would work). but like i said it's a nice setup, but the performance will suffer for looks. if you want a setup like that where you will see the subs through plexi in the back, then go for it. it wont sound bad. to get an idea, listen to a down firing home audio subwoofer compared to a forward firing sub (not exact since there wont be the cabin gain, but the best example i can think of).

or you can just make the whole enclosure out of plexi. it doesnt have to be clear plexi either. you can get colors, or mirrored plexi (even colored mirrored plexi). there are plenty of options out there.

Back