• Register Today It's free!

"Z link" HELP! 92 Explorer

Timinus10

Reaction score
City, State
Murder Mitten
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Exploder(hehe)
So recently my explorer lost reverse, no neutral. Trans fluid is full and cable is adjusted properly. After reading similar posts I am pretty sure I have a problem with my z link in the trans.

If someone who knows/experienced this procedure please help me out with the following;

1) Can I purchase a new z link, if so where.

2) Am I going to have to remove a majority of transmission mechanical components (ie. gears, springs, etc)?

3) Can the z link be bent back to oem specs?

4) After I drop the trans pan is the z link easily accessible?

5) Is there an existing thread describing the procedure/TSBS/torque specs with pictures? And if not can someone create one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Z-link is visible once you drop the trans pan. You should do that anyways, to check for debris in the pan that might indicate mechanical failure. No special tools should be required, just drop the pan and you should be able to see it.

I believe you can remove the z-link without dropping the valve body, but if you do decide to drop the valve body for service, it is not too difficult. Reference the A4LD Valve Body Rebuild Diary thread for more information, and you may find info or pictures of the z-link there as well.

There are not a lot of "new" parts available for the A4LD right now, except for rebuild kits and seals and such. Many parts that are supposed to be good for the life of the trans are only available used, but are still sold through transmission parts dealers. A junkyard is a good place to look for a replacement as well.

If the link is bent slightly and binding, you might be able to bend it back straight again, but the metal will be weakened and may bend or fatigue fracture in future.

Okay so I've decided to dig a little deeper, into what it is I'm actually looking for.

Problems: -no reverse gear, and neutral acts like drive
-I have a slow leak from my front trans seal
-trans fluid is dark and smells burnt

From what I've gathered through multiple sources of information I have gotten this far:

-Check to see if the gear selector retaining clip is seated flush (yes)
***question: would there be a chance that for some reason the actual gear and what's displayed on the dash could be off by one? (Could what's displayed as P,R,N,OD,D,2,1 be R,N,OD,D,2,1,) which doesn't seem to be the case because "park" doesn't act as reverse
-I have come to understand that the "z link" is an internal part in the bottom of the trans outside the valve body called the "throttle shaft linkage or Assy" this is where the z link is located , this is what majority of people have claimed to be the culprit for this issue due to it getting bent, however; when I disenguage the gear selector level from underneath the car while in park it will roll as if it were In neutral until I release and it seats back into park.
***question: if neutral works with the truck off could it be that this part is is defective while the truck is running?

The level of uncertainty and doubt in the reasoning behind a bent linkage makes me look else where
-Reverse and Neutral are high pressure bands which wouldn't engauge if there isn't enough pressure in the system. (Slow leak could case those bands to not enguage)
-The burnt smell indicates that the soft parts (bands,and clutches, seals) are worn and leads me to believe that that the bands or seals for reverse are worn and no longer functional.

IS THERE ANY ONE WHO HAS ENCOUNTERED THIS SAME PROBLEM?
I would like to clear my uncertainty about the gear selector and it's affect on my transmission, so I can either choose to make a project out of it, or simply dismiss it, because I really don't have time to rebuild a trans with a'll new soft parts

Thank you

Sometimes the shift cable could get out of alignment or stretched. Another possibility is that the hole in the manual slide valve could get egg shaped, and cause excessive play for the Z link. WWW.TransmissionPartsUSA.Com sells a repair sleeve for the manual valve to correct this issue.

The gear indicator in the instrument cluster is adjustable to fine tune the pointer; there is an adjuster for it at the column near the shifter.

The gear shift cable is adjustable too. There is a clip on the cable near where it connects at the trans that can adjust the cable to throw further forward and back. Best course on that is to unclip it from the trans, shift lever to neutral (or park), rotate gear lever on trans to shift position, adjust cable and clip it back on.

Back