Zainoed the X this weekend | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Zainoed the X this weekend

I spent a day & a half cleaning the X and I feel better now.
Started with a Dawn wash followed by 3M Swirl Mark Remover applied w/ a Porter Cable orbital buffer. Then a Meguiars SMR remover followed by another Dawn wash.
Then two coates of Zaino Z-2 W/ZFX.
The buffing prior to the Zaino really made a difference in the brightness & clearity of the paint.

Attachments

• x rear side resize.jpg
    x rear side resize.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 390

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

very nice

nice looking x, wish mine was like clean! ;)

Looks great Bill! I spent a good 4 hours today on the exterior of my truck. 1st washed real good with Dawn, then used Mother's Brand clay bar to remove all the crap embedded in the paint, then 2 coats of Zaino wax. I did not take any pictures of it, but I shoulda...One of the nicest days we have had in a while! :)

we are supposed to wash our trucks? i knew i was missing something!

looks great!

Looks awesome, especially on a paint job that is 7 years old. I think I gotta do that this week and get some of that caked road grim off

Wow!! It looks very familiar!! Good job Bill!!! Heh...can't resist...gotta put a pic of mine. :D

Dead Link Removed

man.. pics of that color eb x reminds me of my old x.. stop posting pics up and getting me a teary eyed..

Bill, you mentioned you did the 3M SMR and then a Meguiars SMR. When you washed with dawn after that didn't that just wash all of that off? Just curious. Very nice looking! What did you use on the glass? I can never get mine that reflective!

I know your question is directed to Bill but I use Klasse AIO for my windows. It leaves an incredibly smooth and reflective surface. It's awesome!

Bill, it looks like you got some paint work done! Looks good. Those are aftermarket rocker panels right? What kind are they?

Thanks for all the kind words guys.
Stephen, I had read that it was overkill doing the 2nd Dawn wash But I wanted to be sure the Zaino would stick. How do you spell anel.
Al, I have been using Zaino for a couple of years. Not untill now have I ever preped the paint before putting on the Z. It does make a difference.
MOGUY, I guess that all the SMR's wwere doing is cleaning the paint and cutting down the tops of the swirl marks. Supposedly they leave nothing behind. The Zaino Z-5 is supposed to fill in swirl markes and it does for a while but they seem to come back. This , I hope, should eliminaate them.
Glass is from the Dawn wash only.
Hartman, Ya I did. I'll blame it on my wife. On a trip last summer she noticed that she liked the flares & boards look on other SUVs. So I got a Deflectashield kit. She is happy and that means I'm happy.

Attachments

• x front ls resize.jpg
    x front ls resize.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 291

Here is a pic of the 97 all clean and waxed. The paint cleaned up pretty good for being 6 years old :D

Attachments

• clean.jpg
    clean.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 291

Looking goood Ryan. Black has always been my favorite color.

I like the new paint scheme, Bill... and the flares make it look even lower. Nice job!

Truely does look like a real Eddie Bauer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Possible Zaino de-throner...

My son just ordered us a whole new set of detailing products including "Poorboys EX" paint sealant, P21s polish amognst other things. I've heard GREAT stuff about the Poorboys, says its much easier to use that Zaino and leaves a better shine...

It should arrive shortly, hopefully this weekend we'll give the Explorer and the Lexus the royal treatment and compare the two for you guys.

Back