Zero throttle response

ifnh573

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 explorer sport
Hi All,

I believe this has been discussed before, but could not find answers and my frustration is getting worse as the dealership cannot find problems.

I have 2015 Explorer Sport, currently at 5,800miles. What started to happen at around 4k miles was that the vehicle's power gets COMPLETELY cut off for 3-5 secs when starting from standing still.

No matter how hard, how many times you step on the gas, no change in RPM, SPEED. It just gets stuck, then there comes sudden boost.

Dealership could not replicate the problem as this happens at random. I cannot even dare to pass any cars as I am not confident that my car would accelerate as expected. Some days it runs like a jumping rabbit, and it does not want to follow the input from the driver on the other.

This inconsistency makes everyday driving a guessing work.

Any ideas on how to go about getting this issue resolved?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All,

I believe this has been discussed before, but could not find answers and my frustration is getting worse as the dealership cannot find problems.

I have 2015 Explorer Sport, currently at 5,800miles. What started to happen at around 4k miles was that the vehicle's power gets COMPLETELY cut off for 3-5 secs when starting from standing still.

No matter how hard, how many times you step on the gas, no change in RPM, SPEED. It just gets stuck, then there comes sudden boost.

Dealership could not replicate the problem as this happens at random. I cannot even dare to pass any cars as I am not confident that my car would accelerate as expected. Some days it runs like a jumping rabbit, and it does not want to follow the input from the driver on the other.

When it does this does it only do it once and after if finally "launches" it doesn't do it again?

How often can you get it to do it?

It almost sounds like an intermittent connection to the accelerator pedal or the sensor in the pedal itself. The intermittent connection could be a pinched wire, a cut wire that is making contact with other components every now and then, or a spread terminal in a connector.

I would ask the dealer for a vehicle data recorder so that you can attach it and drive around on your own to get it to do it. Then they can download the data.

Did they scan the vehicle? I feel like there would be a stored code if the pedal sensor kept loosing connection.

Hi All,

Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
Did the dealer check or change the throttle body?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400727&highlight=throttle+body

Peter

The dealership kept telling me they don't see the code and there really is nothing they can do about it.

When this happens, it happens at almost every start(or every stop) until I turn off the ignition. What I've just found out today is that even though this happens at random interval, most always with AC on. If I turn AC off, it seems to eliminate the problem.

Vehicle data recorder: is this something that every dealership would lend you to record data?

It sounds like the traction control system may be jumping in and cutting power.

Vehicle data recorder: is this something that every dealership would lend you to record data?

I've seen others state that dealers have hooked these units up when they have an issue they can duplicate at the dealer.

I don't know if all dealers have them or not. I think you just have to go in a demand it or pretty much show your gonna be a pain in their butt until they fix it.

If it does it until an ignition cycle, I would give a heads up to one of the service guys at the dealer and if it does it when you are near drive it over and don't turn the key off until they get in for a ride.

I've had this a couple of times. Getting on the highway, timing my insertion into traffic. The vehicle is moving but has basically idled down as I am coasting. I see the opening and gun it.... and nothing. Literally nothing, no engine response for a couple of seconds and then it typically picks too high of gear as well and lugs it's way down the road.

The first time was in TX where they have short on-ramps and 75mph hwy speed limits. Yeehaw! that was a thrilling experience.

Do you have a rough idle on a cold start? Like on you can feel it shudder for a second at a time? For 1-5 mins in any temp.

Only asking because I had experienced the same thing as you stated but mine sometimes starts bucking if you don't get off the gas and back on it. People that say it's a traction control issue doesn't make sense to me. I don't know who's going WOT on a take off.

Anyways took it to the dealer and ended up actually being verbally harassed in front of everyone and made fun of by the "A Tech" because I took it to the dealer without a check engine light on. I guess it's "normal" for the 15 sport? Good luck and post your results if any please!

okay, I went to the dealership hoping to get the recorder. Unfortunately, I was told that recorder should be the last resort, and should wipe memory.(not sure if he was referring to PCM)

Explained to the service manager that my car had relatively high mileage(98 miles) when I bought them. He suggested that alot of sales people and customers test drove with very different driving patterns might've caused the computer to miscalculate various timings.(Computer would adjust itself and adopt to my driving behaviors, but it would take more time while I get put into some unsafe situations. Decided to wipe the memory)

anyhow, wiped memory, vehicle felt different. High RPM at idle, transmission shifts at different timing, a little rough shift, etc.

Drove for 100 miles, now at very low RPM at idle(even lower than when I got the car. No more of shudder(yes, I had them before)

It is a completely different vehicle now. I read alot of times that wiping memory from PCM would not make a big difference, but in my case, it is night & day.

I kinda see the pattern of problems experienced by drivers of 2015 sports...

If you are having similar issues, visit dealership to wipe the memory first and see. (it takes 5 mins)

okay, I went to the dealership hoping to get the recorder. Unfortunately, I was told that recorder should be the last resort, and should wipe memory.(not sure if he was referring to PCM)

Explained to the service manager that my car had relatively high mileage(98 miles) when I bought them. He suggested that alot of sales people and customers test drove with very different driving patterns might've caused the computer to miscalculate various timings.(Computer would adjust itself and adopt to my driving behaviors, but it would take more time while I get put into some unsafe situations. Decided to wipe the memory)

anyhow, wiped memory, vehicle felt different. High RPM at idle, transmission shifts at different timing, a little rough shift, etc.

Drove for 100 miles, now at very low RPM at idle(even lower than when I got the car. No more of shudder(yes, I had them before)

It is a completely different vehicle now. I read alot of times that wiping memory from PCM would not make a big difference, but in my case, it is night & day.

I kinda see the pattern of problems experienced by drivers of 2015 sports...

If you are having similar issues, visit dealership to wipe the memory first and see. (it takes 5 mins)
I'm not sure what wiping the memory actually does but disconnecting the battery for a while will wipe out the transmission's memory as well as the battery relearn has to be done. Perhaps that is all the 'memory wipe' does and you can save a trip to the dealer.

From the Owner's Manual;

When the battery is disconnected or a new battery installed, the
transmission must relearn its adaptive strategy. As a result of this, the
transmission may shift firmly. This operation is considered normal and
will not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time the
adaptive learning process will fully update transmission operation to its
optimum shift feel.

When the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the
engine must relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum
driveability and performance.

Peter

I've had this a couple of times. Getting on the highway, timing my insertion into traffic. The vehicle is moving but has basically idled down as I am coasting. I see the opening and gun it...

Do you have a rough idle on a cold start? Like on you can feel it shudder for a second at a time? For 1-5 mins in any temp.

Only asking because I had experienced the same thing as you stated but mine sometimes starts bucking if you don't get off the gas and back on it...
Hey guys,

If your vehicles are still experiencing this symptom, I recommend taking it to the dealer to get diagnosed. Our certified technicians will be happy to take a look! Also, please PM me your VIN and mileage. I’ll check the available options to assist! :)

okay, I went to the dealership hoping to get the recorder. Unfortunately, I was told that recorder should be the last resort, and should wipe memory...
Thanks for the update, ifnh573.

Please keep an eye on it. If you need me, don’t hesitate to give me a shout! :thumbsup:

Tricia

Hey guys,

If your vehicles are still experiencing this symptom, I recommend taking it to the dealer to get diagnosed. Our certified technicians will be happy to take a look! Also, please PM me your VIN and mileage. I’ll check the available options to assist! :)

Thanks for the update, ifnh573.

Please keep an eye on it. If you need me, don’t hesitate to give me a shout! :thumbsup:

Tricia

No use since there isn't a check engine light on they won't do anything but waste my time. Thanks for the offer tho!

No use since there isn't a check engine light on they won't do anything but waste my time. Thanks for the offer tho!
You’re welcome, Ecobeast88.

I’ll be here if you need anything, and have a great weekend! :)

Tricia

I'm not sure what wiping the memory actually does but disconnecting the battery for a while will wipe out the transmission's memory as well as the battery relearn has to be done. Perhaps that is all the 'memory wipe' does and you can save a trip to the dealer.

From the Owner's Manual;

When the battery is disconnected or a new battery installed, the
transmission must relearn its adaptive strategy. As a result of this, the
transmission may shift firmly. This operation is considered normal and
will not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time the
adaptive learning process will fully update transmission operation to its
optimum shift feel.

When the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the
engine must relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum
driveability and performance.

Peter

That's also what I thought, and I followed the path a week prior to visit to the dealership.

I was told(not sure if true) that disconnecting battery will not wipe out the memory.(also not sure what memory or module he was referring to)

Bottomline is that I see the difference now since the visit to the dealership. The service manager just escalated my cue to the top without going through paperwork, so I don't exactly know what they did other than the memory wipe that I was told.

What the dealership did might be indeed the same as disconnecting the battery, but it maybe a worthwhile to visit the dealership if disconnecting battery does not have any effect.

How long should one disconnect the battery for? Will it loose all the presets and so on? I know some cars lose it others don't. Not sure how the explorer is.

How long should one disconnect the battery for? Will it loose all the presets and so on? I know some cars lose it others don't. Not sure how the explorer is.
I don't think the disconnect has to be that long. I'm guessing that changing a battery shouldn't take more that 10 minutes or so. As for what you lose, I don't really know since I've never gone through the procedure. I don't believe it is as bad as doing a Master Reset.
Found this; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3266083&postcount=9

Peter

engine shuts down but doesn't turn off

2 days ago my wife frantically calls me and tells me "the car engine light is on, the engine is running, but the accelerator is not working and it's not moving and i'm in traffic with the kids!" As I take this call, I am flashing back to a previous time when we owned a GMC Acadia and we are on the highway and the engine light comes on and the engine decreases to 10% without warning. Due to that, we left the GMC/Chevrolet family and went back to FORD. We purchased a 2013 Explorer XLT 6 cylinder (not ecoboost.) We have not had any problems previous to this and have 48K miles on the vehicle. My wife was able to coast/limp into an adjacent parking lot. I told her to turn of the car and let it sit for 5 minutes and turn it back on. She did an the vehicle ran without a problem. This is when my problem starts. She will not drive her vehicle until something is fixed. Upon reading the posts above, it sounds like the dealers are not doing anything about it. In the case of our GMC Acadia, the vehicle never ran the same and the dealer replaced a fuel pump. If the dealer cannot find anything, what are my options or what can I tell/direct the dealership to check on?

2 days ago my wife frantically calls me and tells me "the car engine light is on, the engine is running, but the accelerator is not working and it's not moving and i'm in traffic with the kids!" As I take this call, I am flashing back to a previous time when we owned a GMC Acadia and we are on the highway and the engine light comes on and the engine decreases to 10% without warning. Due to that, we left the GMC/Chevrolet family and went back to FORD. We purchased a 2013 Explorer XLT 6 cylinder (not ecoboost.) We have not had any problems previous to this and have 48K miles on the vehicle. My wife was able to coast/limp into an adjacent parking lot. I told her to turn of the car and let it sit for 5 minutes and turn it back on. She did an the vehicle ran without a problem. This is when my problem starts. She will not drive her vehicle until something is fixed. Upon reading the posts above, it sounds like the dealers are not doing anything about it. In the case of our GMC Acadia, the vehicle never ran the same and the dealer replaced a fuel pump. If the dealer cannot find anything, what are my options or what can I tell/direct the dealership to check on?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
There are several threads on loss of power, hesitation/stumble etc so it is difficult to say what might be the issue. Resolutions have been from replacing the throttle body to having the memory wiped. Best bet is to take it to the dealer and see if any diagnostic codes can be pulled. Unfortunately, sometimes shutting the vehicle off and restarting will clear out some codes.

Peter

It sounds like the traction control system may be jumping in and cutting power.

This happened to me too. I recorded it on video. The dealership checked it out, talked to Ford engineers, and said they couldn't find anything to fix. Let us know if it happens again. Hopefully the next time it won't get me killed. :-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmD0SwO-Q8Y

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This happened to me too. I recorded it on video. The dealership checked it out, talked to Ford engineers, and said they couldn't find anything to fix. Let us know if it happens again. Hopefully the next time it won't get me killed. :-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmD0SwO-Q8Y
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
Please add the 'model' of your Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thank you.

Peter

Back