Front end work | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end work

no way im spending $300 on heims anytime soon

Exactly. You've seen my truck and I still run rubber bushings all around. I was given the gears about not putting in a Uniball pivot when i trussed and plated my beams. I never had problems and at $25 for both rad arm bushings you could replace them 6 to 8 times before the price you pay for a Good heim.

I'm on my 4th year on these rad arm bushinga nd they are barely broken in.:p:

Looking good RJ.

Can you do me a favor and measure the lower part of your skidplate? How far forward of the beams is it and how far down does it drop?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sure ill measure that tomorrow morning when i get the car out of th garage. IMO the skid plate on the bumper hangs way to low. when i build my own it will tuck up higher.

someday build something like this, but maybe find a way to mount a winch in there as stealth as i can

bumper2.jpg

pic04.jpg

sure ill measure that tomorrow morning when i get the car out of th garage. IMO the skid plate on the bumper hangs way to low. when i build my own it will tuck up higher.

someday build something like this, but maybe find a way to mount a winch in there as stealth as i can

bumper2.jpg

pic04.jpg

Nice bumper lol. Where have i seen it before???:D

i know i know, seems like im trying to build a mcNeil replica. what can a say, i like a lot of thier stuff :rolleyes:

One other question RJ. How thick is your skid plate?

I'm getting mine cut soon and not sure if I should keep it 16 ga or go right to 1/8th thick.

Price difference is going to be minimal so i'm not worried.

I just don't want it to fold up after the first stone hits it. Yes I'llbe getting 2 cut no matter what. Want to keep a spare handy.

i know i know, seems like im trying to build a mcNeil replica. what can a say, i like a lot of thier stuff :rolleyes:

LOL, thats pretty much the bumper i had built. But i stole it off an Edge that Brandon was working on lol.

I'm getting mine cut soon and not sure if I should keep it 16 ga or go right to 1/8th thick.

I just don't want it to fold up after the first stone hits it. Yes I'llbe getting 2 cut no matter what. Want to keep a spare handy.

the skid plate is 1/4" and the bottum part of the bumper sits 8"s below the frame, right in front of where the swar bar mounts

sinice i was working on the front for a little bit today i thought i would take some pics since i don't have much pics of the whole setup together

151.jpg
152.jpg

the moded radius arms
beams119.jpg

anyone wondering about how the steering was extended, just cut and lengthened the sleeves

beams121.jpg

RJ, i'm not one to post opinions much....and i really do like the quality of the work on your rig, BUT......

i would go to the parts house and see if they have longer sleeves for another make or model you could use.

those sleeves get a ton of vibration and stress from impacts and the act of turning the tires,

the welds may be excellent but the base metel and where the weld meet is allways the weak point of a joint.

just my opinion, and i would hate to hear something bad because of a failure

l8r, John:cool:

RJ, i'm not one to post opinions much....and i really do like the quality of the work on your rig, BUT......

i would go to the parts house and see if they have longer sleeves for another make or model you could use.

those sleeves get a ton of vibration and stress from impacts and the act of turning the tires,

the welds may be excellent but the base metel and where the weld meet is allways the weak point of a joint.

just my opinion, and i would hate to hear something bad because of a failure

l8r, John:cool:

thanks for the concern and advice john :thumbsup:

the sleeves are the way McNeil off-road does it, i had them extend the sleeves when the truck got the cage there. i've never heard anyone hav porblems extending steering this way, but if i could find on e the right length thats stock on another car, i'de probably use those. and i really need to make a spare one

Just how long are those sleeves now?

2.5" over stock

hay R.J. do you have any measurements on how far out your ball joint was moved?

Hey I know that this thread has been around for a little while, but I'm converting my '94 Jeep YJ to a TTB front set-up and was referred to this thread off of either race-dezert.com or maybe one of the Jeep forums. . .I can't remember which ones. . .

. . .anyway I've made it to page 9 so far and I had a few questions and comments that I didn't see answered so far. . .bear with me if I haven't gotten that far yet, but I don't think I will finish this thread in one day. . .

First question. . .I can't tell from the pic's but did you only extend the diff beam? or both beams? Seems like maybe only the diff beam because of the longer passenger side intermediate shaft??? and that's one of the reasons why the diff is pushed over. . .correct? Wasn't sure if I was seeing both beams or one D28 and one D35 of the same beam since you were using the D28 for mock-up. Thanks!

Why are you going 2.25" wider each side? Why not 4" or 4.5" like some kits offer?
matt, come on, im building the front end around the stock d44 axle shaft. so however longer that is from stock is how uch i'll be widening it. im pretty sure its 4.5"s longer so a nice addition of 2.25 on each side will be great, thats all the width i really want anyways. (i don't want tickets for the tires sticking out past the fender)

I like this idea a lot. . .don't have to get a custom axle shaft made $$$. . .makes it easy and cheap to find a replacement if needed. As I'm reading this you are only using the D44 passenger side intermediate shaft right?

Regarding the below pic's. . .for future reference for those of you who might do this yourself. . .bevel the edges of both the beams and the extension section that you are putting in (front and back) so that you can get full penetration into the beams and then grind the welds down smooth. . .you can then plate the front like you see a lot of the TTB beams done and you can put a diamond gusset on the back side of each weld section. . .your extended beams will be much stronger just by beveling the edges and getting full penetration into the beams even without the plating/gusseting than they will be by just welding a butt joint.

You can tell by the contour of the weld puddles that the penetration is limited because of the lack of bevel in the plate (or maybe a lack of heat to penetrate into the beams more or maybe a lack of voltage to wet the puddle out. . .6 one way, 1/2 a dozen the other. . .ends up being the same effect in the end).

took em to my friend and got em welded up. now i need to mock it up and make sure everything works together right :thumbsup:

IMG_0693Medium.jpg

IMG_0694Medium.jpg

IMG_0695Medium.jpg

At the beginning of the thread someone asked about the thickness of the plate used for plating/gusseting the beams. . .most of the off-road fab shops (Camburg, Solo, Giant, Blitzkrieg, etc.) use 0.090" plate for the doubling plate and 0.125" plate for the main structure. . .using the 0.090" plate is how you get the plate to follow the original contours so well. . .using 0.125" is kinda overkill for a doubler plate and is gonna be more weight than is necessary not to mention make it way harder to follow the contours of what you are trying to plate.

Just thought these might help any of you thinking of doing this on your own.

yeah, on my old truck I felt SAS was the only way out, but after seeing a truck like PaulB's, its pretty cool to see the stock suspension modified to be a custom top performing unique suspension setup. It's not like guys are running out to swap TTBs under anything else, so it's unique to our trucks so it makes it a little more fun.

Don't be so sure. . .I'm converting my '94 Jeep YJ Wrangler to a D35/D44 TTB hybrid front end. . .extended, plated beams, extended radius arms, D44 knuckles/brakes/hubs/stub shaft and D44 passenger side intermediate axle just like in this thread!

...You should start your own thread in this sub forum, include your above post and pics along with updates of your project...I am sure there will be a lot of interest in your Jeep TTB project...;)

...I will be looking forward to reading it also...:popcorn:

That's not a bad idea. . .I just picked up the D35 TTB. . .I need to get the pivot brackets (or fab my own) before I'm ready to start mock-up.

I've started the tear down on the D35 to get it cleaned up and down to bare metal so that I can start cutting and plating, but I've got to buy metal first and I have a tire gate to fab for our '79 F-150 4x4 and a '49 Jeep Willy's truck to get running before I can spend any time on the YJ project. . .

. . .a problem of too many projects and I need to get a couple finished before I start another one!

, but I will be following this thread and I will start a thread with pic's once I finish up my other projects.

Keep up the good work on your setup!

OK so I was able to finish the thread today and I just wanted to say it looks like you did some really nice work! Great Job and enjoy the rig!!!

took some pics tonight. i want to adjust the fron end down a little bit. and i don't know if its just the way it is with coilovers or if its cause i dont have nitro in them yet, but driving forward, the front end sits high, and when you reverse, the front dips down really really low and stay there untill you go forward again.

when you pull in forward

beams037.jpg

beams038.jpg

when you back in

beams039.jpg

beams040.jpg

beams041.jpg

beams042.jpg

We ran our single seat Baja racer without any gas pressure in the front shocks (triple rate coilovers) and it was perfectly balanced! But that was intentional. . .

the axle rubbed juuuuuust a little (see the line on the axle) not bad for all the rompin a did on it :thumbsup:
beams105.jpg

You are gonna clearance that cut a little aren't you. . .even that tiny little ring on the axle will now act as a stress riser and that is where your axle will shear under stress. . .if you leave it as is. . .it will only get worse! I would clearance that entrance and then get a new axle. . .just to be safe.

What material are you gonna use? aluminum or steel? for aluminum go 1/4" for steel 3/16" good, but 16 ga. would be too thin in my opinion. . .it's just an opinion though.

Last comment. . .with the way that you have the shock mounted in the front you are all set to be able to run a bypass now as well. . .you can swap the coilover to mount off of the radius arm and then run the bypass off the front of the beam. . .would work GREAT!

Also people were asking about the valving in the coilovers and the advantage of them over coil springs and shocks. . .the coilover is only a coil carrier when you are running a bypass shock in addition to the coilover, otherwise the coilover does have valving in it. . .I didn't see anyone really answer that question.

Great build!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey hey hey. i haven't been on this site in a while, sorry i havent replied sooner.

its d35 on both sides, both sides extended. only change in the axles were the d44 intermediat shaft.

Back