Coolbulbs All-In-One 6kk HID's (heads and fogs) in my 2013 Explorer Sport Review | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolbulbs All-In-One 6kk HID's (heads and fogs) in my 2013 Explorer Sport Review

ieee_raider

Reaction score
City, State
Paris, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi All!

I did some product testing for Andrew from coolbulbs.com and have some good and bad news to share.

The product I tested was a "SMART All In One HID" ballast-on-bulb package that eliminates the need to mount and wire up a ballast separately. AWESOME CONCEPT.

The bad news is with the deep seating of the Explorer HID, I could not get the bulb into the headlights without damaging the bulb. I can't say for sure if it was an inability to keep the bulb square when inserting due to my fat fingers fitting through the hole or if it was the bulb was too long (had to press really hard to seat and twist).
Here's a pic with a pair of pliers I had to use to press and twist to get it seated:
P7197907_zps1df9ae46.jpg

The good news is that it's awesome for the fogs. Especially because there's not a great location down there to mount the ballast.
Here's the steps I took to replace it there. Passenger side is a little tighter, driver side probably doesn't require loosening plastic.

1_zpsd9d26a28.png

2_zpsb8fa1723.png

3_zpse07585f1.png

Didn't include any pics of the output because it's basically the same as any other 6kk HID. A little blue for my taste, I prefer the 4300k that I had in my previous ride, but I'll see if these grow on me.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do they make a 4300k version? Would get them for my fogs to match the stock HIDs and for a little more output from the fogs.

Looks pretty slick. I still need to call Andrew back on one of my bulbs not wanting to stay on. He's been really good at calling me back and making sure I've been taken care of.

A+ for customer service at Coolbulbs IMO.

couldnt find it on the site. Are they available yet, how much?

Do they make a 4300k version? Would get them for my fogs to match the stock HIDs and for a little more output from the fogs.

Stock HID's? I was told by my dealer that HID's were only available on the Explorer Limited. The Sport did not have them as an option. I was a bit disappointed but I figured I would just go aftermarket when there is a decent kit available. Was my dealer wrong?

Stock HID's? I was told by my dealer that HID's were only available on the Explorer Limited. The Sport did not have them as an option. I was a bit disappointed but I figured I would just go aftermarket when there is a decent kit available. Was my dealer wrong?

I have a limited. HIDs are part of 302a package

I have a limited. HIDs are part of 302a package

Lucky Dog. I still wish they would have just come standard or been an option on my sport. Going to do a conversion soon.

couldnt find it on the site. Are they available yet, how much?

No, I was testing for them.
They don't yet have them on the site.

Also, no 4300k from coolbulbs. I asked the same.

I'd volunteer to test also if they need someone in NYC...

Back