AWD converted to 2wd | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD converted to 2wd

If you really want a 2WD, go to the nearest Pull a Part and find a 2wd 5.0 98-01 explorer mountaineer and pull the transmission. Look for one that is wrecked, if not a wrecked one, check the fluid to see if is burnt. I know this does not guarantee a good one but these things are pretty reliable, even with high miles. You also will need the rear drive shaft off the 2wd as it is longer. At pull a part, transmission and drive shaft will cost you a little over $100. Alternatively look/call around other junk yards and find one with less miles. One that is already pulled probably goes for around $600 to $1,000. Driveshaft probably ~ $100. If you get someone to install it for you probably looking at another $500 to $1000. For me, I have driven both and it would not be worth the trouble for the low cost option and definitely not worth the high cost option.

The transfer case swap is pretty popular and there is a good thread about this and if you are convinced of getting rid of the AWD, this is the way I would go. Still going to cost you some $ but again, you can get the parts at your nearest Pull a Part ~$100, already pulled at other junkyards much higher.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you need a rwd version of the 4r70w

I have two of them downstairs

You need one from a 98 or newer so it matches your trucks solenoid wiring and digital range sensor

There is no crown vic in 1998 and all other fords after 96 use the 4.6, so should get your trans from a 98-01 Explorer 5.0 RWD
4.2L V6 F150 from 98-2004 would work, the 4.2 has same bellhousing as 5.0

The RWD 4r70w
If you are handy you can use any 4r70w that came behind the 5.0 or 4.2 and possibly the 3.8L mustang/cougar and upgrade the solenoids and dtrs to the ones from your 98....but now we are getting ahead of ourselves...... and the early 4r70w (93-96) had issues

[/URL]
True I didn't think of the bellhousings.

If you really want a 2WD, go to the nearest Pull a Part and find a 2wd 5.0 98-01 explorer mountaineer and pull the transmission. Look for one that is wrecked, if not a wrecked one, check the fluid to see if is burnt. I know this does not guarantee a good one but these things are pretty reliable, even with high miles. You also will need the rear drive shaft off the 2wd as it is longer. At pull a part, transmission and drive shaft will cost you a little over $100. Alternatively look/call around other junk yards and find one with less miles. One that is already pulled probably goes for around $600 to $1,000. Driveshaft probably ~ $100. If you get someone to install it for you probably looking at another $500 to $1000. For me, I have driven both and it would not be worth the trouble for the low cost option and definitely not worth the high cost option.

The transfer case swap is pretty popular and there is a good thread about this and if you are convinced of getting rid of the AWD, this is the way I would go. Still going to cost you some $ but again, you can get the parts at your nearest Pull a Part ~$100, already pulled at other junkyards much higher.
I'll end up trying to find a doner vehicle because I want to get rid of the awd all together. I'm more of the need for speed than offroad. I would rather get a rwd transmission and delete the tcase trans and all components going to the front and make it a true 2wd 5.0.

I found a 2wd 5.0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200325-131349_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200325-131349_Chrome.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 81

Driving without the front shaft won’t hurt anything. I’ve done it on both Mountys for a combined mileage of 20-30k. AWD functioned entirely fine after.

it will certainly creep in park.

unless the truck was excellent in every other way, I’d just buy a 2wd model.

I found a 2wd 5.0
I am guessing your are looking in Columbia, SC. The pull a part there used to be my home away from home. The parking lot gets fuller than a Walmart there. The whole yard is gravel and all of the cars are up off the ground so you have access under them. I have pulled a 5.0 from a Mountaineer there and they helped lift it out with a for truck and put it on my trailer. The top bell housing bolts can be a little difficult to get to, I had several long extensions with a universal or two and a swivel joint at the socket. If you have never visited this lot before, worth a trip in my opinion.

"unless the truck was excellent in every other way, I’d just buy a 2wd model " = MEGA DITTO ~!

It is not that hard to swap a transmission and rear d shaft you guys....sheesh
Don't have to swap trucks!
Plus you can sell your old trans and t case if it was working good, to help pay for all of this.

It is not that hard to swap a transmission and rear d shaft you guys....sheesh
Don't have to swap trucks!
Plus you can sell your old trans and t case if it was working good, to help pay for all of this.
Don’t forget getting and swapping out all the front end parts. The AWD models here are at a super premium. The 2wds cost about half as much. I’d swap it out if the truck was in much better than average shape without a rusty body. If it had any rust, I’d start over with a much better foundation. I’d take 150k and no rust over 50k with rust starting to show around the Tupperware and quarters/hatch.

Better yet, keep it, and buy a second. Lift one, lower the other. ;)

agreed!!!!!!!! two heads are always better then one

Forgot about the front knuckles and wheel bearings...the diff you just drop it out
Can get the front knuckles off the rwd donor. New Motorcraft wheel bearings, ball joints and brakes from Rockauto....AWD truck probably needs these replaced anyways :)

I just know I love my trucks, I put so much into them, to just "swap out trucks" is not something I do........I just keep building them up to suit my needs

Forgot about the front knuckles and wheel bearings...the diff you just drop it out
Can get the front knuckles off the rwd donor. New Motorcraft wheel bearings, ball joints and brakes from Rockauto....AWD truck probably needs these replaced anyways :)

I just know I love my trucks, I put so much into them, to just "swap out trucks" is not something I do........I just keep building them up to suit my needs
Always a solid plan, if it’s a good foundation. The devil you know....

I am guessing your are looking in Columbia, SC. The pull a part there used to be my home away from home. The parking lot gets fuller than a Walmart there. The whole yard is gravel and all of the cars are up off the ground so you have access under them. I have pulled a 5.0 from a Mountaineer there and they helped lift it out with a for truck and put it on my trailer. The top bell housing bolts can be a little difficult to get to, I had several long extensions with a universal or two and a swivel joint at the socket. If you have never visited this lot before, worth a trip in my opinion.
I've been to many of times.

I'll just end up getting a doner and just swap everything out. Hopefully not but it might sooner than I want because I noticed in the last few times I have driven it I can feel a slight shift around 40 and 50 mph and just today it shifted very noticeable 2nd to 3rd but only did it once. Not sure if the trans fluid has ever be changed not burnt color looks good so I have no clue on that.

any codes? flashing OD light or check engine light?

No lights no nothing. And 2nd to 3rd was at the slightest but you feel it itwas 4th or 5th the that you feels lot.

5th? V8 automatic transmissions are 4 speeds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes but they have the converter lock up that can feel like a shift :)

Back