Altenator Rebuild 98 Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Altenator Rebuild 98 Explorer

Year

What year was the mustang?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a 2002 Mustang GT. They share the same 4G components as our Explorers. The only difference is the casings. I just received an e-mail from this guy and here is what he said...

"I don't understand why you think the reg. is used OR why the epoxy would keep the alt from functioning. Those rotors are almost bullet proof. They are reman in PA and the special varnish is key. If you'd rather buy a new China rotor and have it last 5 minutes... it's your money, but WE sell what has been proven to us in the thousands in longevity over the years."

Those rotors are almost bullet proof. They are reman in PA and the special varnish is key. If you'd rather buy a new China rotor and have it last 5 minutes... it's your money, but WE sell what has been proven to us in the thousands in longevity over the years.

Believe me, this rotor is not new, nor is the regulator, bearings are made in China. As a business owner, all I can say is if I ran my business this way, I would have no business.

I can see this kit being all that with an obsolete/unavailable unit, but a new one with lifetime warranty is $120, made in Japan just like the original one was, don't know how much one's time is worth to them but for me, ten minutes to plug-and-play a replacement is much more cost-effective.

Bill

core?

@RickOTR
Maybe they sent you someone's old core by mistake?
Maybe they are under new management now. I know sometimes after a company has been established they start making things different or find a cheaper way to do business and we the consumer end up getting crap when we used to get quality. It sure pisses me off.
Come on, snap a picture and post it here so we can all see what they sent you.

Kit

I can see this kit being all that with an obsolete/unavailable unit, but a new one with lifetime warranty is $120, made in Japan just like the original one was, don't know how much one's time is worth to them but for me, ten minutes to plug-and-play a replacement is much more cost-effective.

Bill

Rebuilding an alternator is not for everyone for sure. I do stuff like this because I really enjoy working on vehicles and taking stuff apart. It took me less than an hour but I have an extensive amount of tools. I also have a spare alternator I picked up from Harry's Upullit in Pennsburg to throw on so the vehicle was not downed for more than 20 minutes. Then I have 2 explorer's and a ranger anyway so if one breaks I just drive another one. I would not expect anyone to rebuild their own alternator if they only have one vehicle or cant manage one being down waiting for parts. And now with RickOTR's talk about getting inferior parts everyone might want to look for another supplier even if they were going to take on the challenge to rebuild their own alternator.

I don't have my camera anymore since it went south last year. So I bought me a video camera instead, more practical. I just got back from the Alternator shop and the guy looked at it and just laughed his head off, and said that rotor is a nightmare waiting to happen. He resurfaced the old slip rings from the OEM rotor like he's done on mine and it's like brand new. I already had bearings and brushes that I bought in bulk on E-bay so all I have to do is install the brushes and bearings and it's done.

Well, I hate to beat a dead dog, but for anyone wanting to rebuild there own alternator here are some parts with numbers. Bye the way, I did some research and the rotor was indeed made in China (Part # WAI-28=210)

Rotor: Remi 7050-2934
Bearings: 6203-2RS and 6303-2RS
Brush Holder (Regulator-Gray): GR817

EDIT: After speaking with Ford and Delco Remy they both told me all their replacement Alternator parts are made in China. I also learned you can just get the copper slip ring not the whole unit, check the link below. When Ford and Remy remanufactures their alternators/starters they send them to China, so in the end, your SOL...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-RC28-A...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c95ad0c0&vxp=mtr

Parts

Where would someone go to order these parts? Are they dealer parts?
Prices?

If you buy a remanufactured Motorcraft, GM part, it's from China, it does not matter if you buy it from the dealer or aftermarket company. I have done some extensive research on a lot of brands out there these last few days, and all of them have their manufacturing plants in China now. One of the techs at the alternator shop I go to too get my slip rings resurfaced was installing a TYC alternator on a car and it said "made in China". However, if you go too TYC website it says all parts are made in USA and Japan. LIke I said, we are all at the mercy of China now... :(

Edit: You can get some of these parts on E-bay but there are online vendors you can get them from too.

2 Years

Just hit the two year mark on my 4 door explorers alternator rebuild. It is still going strong! Mileage 236,921

Like the Energizer bunny

The alternator is still working, just hit the 3 year mark.
Approximately 248,000 miles.

4 Years

It has been 4 years since I rebuilt this alternator and it is still working.
Mileage is approximately 261,000.

Edit: Actual Mileage is 262,043
Rebuilt at 210,238
-------------------
51,805 miles on the rebuild
Still going strong.

5 years on the alternator rebuild and now it is up to 280,637
Did it at 210,000 so I am up to 70,000 on the rebuild.

Funny thing is that on my 2004 Explorer I bought a reman alternator from autozone (triple checked my @ss) and it lasted 5 minutes. lol.

I still wouldn't mind getting a High Output Unit from Singer..

Just saying.

My truck just turned 300,000 miles!
The alternator is still going strong!

IMG_2758.JPG

Wow, I missed the six year mark on the alternator install.
(After rebuilding it I installed it on 4/1/2012 with 210,238 miles.)
April 1, 2018 was the six year mark and it is still going strong.

I have over 300,000 miles on this truck now, the body is rusting badly under the passenger side rocker, and over both rear wheel wells.
There is also a Body mount rusting away on drivers front area.
I am hoping this vehicle will make it to the 7th year anniversary of the alternator install, that will be 4-1-2019 !

I installed a Bosch about a year ago since my original alternator was on the low side. I get 14.6 volts normally, and 14.5 with every accessory on. Still, I’d like to rebuild my original Motorcraft alternator for the future.

7 years since alternator rebuild, truck has 305,000 miles and it is still going.
Hope it keeps holding on till I replace the truck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Today marks 8 years since I installed this alternator that I rebuilt.
The truck has over 314,000 miles on it now and it is still going.
The body is rusting away, but it still gets me to work and back.
The last job was 42 miles away so that was 84 miles a day.
My ride to work now is only about 15 miles, so I am only doing about 30 miles a day.
Being that my work hours are cut due to the Corona virus, I am driving even less.
That also means I probably wont replace this vehicle this year either due to a drop in income.
The "how long can I keep this truck going" experiment continues!

IMG_5946.JPG

Back